Today, dollar for dollar, is the 318 faster than the 340 ???

would you agree ?

• yep, the 318 wins if buying and building for under 3k

Votes: 48 41.7%
  • Nope, the 340 always has and always will beat the 318

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Actually, never thought about it like this... Good Point !

Votes: 10 8.7%

• Total voters
-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmmm, I think the point of the discussion has been lost.

I have to agree with the OP, at least somewhat. Dollar for dollar, the 318 is a smarter choice. And for two reasons:

1. You can throw the same parts and work at both engines. The difference is the overhead. The 'gateway' fee. $2,000 spent on either, you're looking at a running 'core' 340, or a reasonably stout 318.

2. The stigma of "it's a 340". If you were building both engines side by side, even if you got them both for free, odds are more money will still go into the 340 because "it's a 340". Therefore it gets the good stuff. 318's are plentiful enough to where building one can be a very budget-friendly and guilt-free experience. Chinesium intake and cam? Maybe heads? Sure, who cares, it's a 318. Uncle Richards AFB that's suffered more *percussive maintenence* than any of us did growing up because he still has to get around to sorting it out (he won't), absolutely! "It's just a 318." I feel you would see FAR more backlash for putting cheap parts into a 340 than ANY manner of 318 building.

Just as an example, I am building one with a 60's marine 4-barrel + AFB, (intake bolt-hole redrilled) 5.2 magnum heads, 273 manifolds, old dual-point hemi dizzy I cobbled together out of parts, and a VERY mild cam. Total cost: <$800. And it will do absolutely everything I want it to do.

The early hemi distributor is not a bolt in swap.

Start a thread about 18yr olds if you want. This isn't a thread about them.
Kerndog did it with the thread OMG in the blue room.
In truth, an 18YO kid is exactly who is reading this and absolutely a candidate to build a engine. You have just flushed a kid down the toilet. I’m sure your proud of that.

To the kid reading, no worries, there’s hope!

Not sure why you are on my nuts. I'm entitled to my opinion. I shared a 340 above that I built on 318 money. Like I said, buy what you can afford. That's not a dig, it's reality. No harm no foul.
Sure you’d informed to your opinion. Why cry about what you have already expressed. I’m not on your nuts. There just sensitive to your thoughts when you read my reply.
(How sweet …. :poke: )
Of course build what you can afford. You did it, I did it, everyone does it. It’s just funny how the board is on 318’s. “Garbage junk motor that’s worth nothing except a door stop or to be cut up as fishing weights.

The 18 YO kid or adult who has a lack of funds, (is that better?) is looking for help with his 318.
When he asks the question, what do you answer?

If you really want me to start a thread about 18YO’s who want help building an engine, just say the word. I’m sure you’ll actually start to hate me then.

:lol:

The early hemi distributor is not a bolt in swap.
It's had some heavy modifications on my part, haha.

But, this is why I don't bother trying to make informed posts on internet forums. Instead of asking the "whys", and rationally debating reasoning, it turns into a flame war. Or people pick out what they see is wrong, and ignore anything that may be correct because it doesn't agree with them.

Just because one person feels they are right, doesn't make everybody else wrong. And its unnecessary to try to force feed anyones opinion to anyone else.

TLDR, let's all be grownups and get back on target, eh?

Last edited:
Heh, I live in the deep south. Very very poor country. What you don't have in pesos, you make up for in handiness, ingenuity, or raw stubbornness.

Yeah me too. I'm in Jones County just NE of Macon.

To the kid reading, no worries, there’s hope!

The 18 YO kid or adult who has a lack of funds, (is that better?) is looking for help with his 318.
When he asks the question, what do you answer?

If you really want me to start a thread about 18YO’s who want help building an engine, just say the word. I’m sure you’ll actually start to hate me then.

:lol:

Here, I will help you. :lol:

advice-for-18-year-old.jpg

By rumblefish360

@yellow rose No 360 heads? Why not? '915' and '587' heads were used on both the late 340 and the early 360....? We ARE pinching pennies here right? Get em off a 72 C body or something. 360 blocks need not apply.

I wish I had a thread to read when I built my first motor at 19, like the correct way to install freeze plugs.

I wish I had a thread to read when I built my first motor at 19, like the correct way to install freeze plugs.
Maybe you should have picked up a book.
That's how we did it before the net.
I still rely on books rather than the net for things I don't know.
everything was written over 40 years ago by guy's that did it.

Yup! Love my books. They never let ya down. Just keep the print clean and your greasy fingers away.

@yellow rose No 360 heads? Why not? '915' and '587' heads were used on both the late 340 and the early 360....? We ARE pinching pennies here right? Get em off a 72 C body or something. 360 blocks need not apply.

I was pointing out that you saying the 340 used 360 heads is incorrect. The 360 got a detuned 340 head, just like the 72-73 340’s.

I feel that there are too many variables to compare here. The 340 block is better, the crank is better. overall the engine is stronger and better built. Not that the 318 isn' t a great engine, but it was installed in a few million cars and was quite generic. Every 340 in the world came heavy duty and from a valuable collectible car by todays standards, regardless if they are still in the original car or not. The 318 will always will be the the poorer cousin and will always come out on the short end of the stick. so the 340 is more desirable, and always will be.
a bit like 440 guys pissing at each other that the 440 HP block is worth more and better than a regular 440 block. another senseless comparison.

in the end the fastest of the two depends on how much money you throw at it.
Like matt Dillon on Gunsmoke said:"There is always someone that will be faster"

I was pointing out that you saying the 340 used 360 heads is incorrect. The 360 got a detuned 340 head, just like the 72-73 340’s.
OK, point taken...360 used small valve 340 heads to some extent then. Riddle me this: How was the 72-73 915 340 head detuned for the 360, just valve size? That would not be a step back as the 72 340 was already neutered with the smaller 1.88 valves.

back then I didn't even know where to find the books, isolated city of Cedarburg, population 6000 in frigid Wisconsin. didn't even get to a drag strip till I was 21.

back then I didn't even know where to find the books, isolated city of Cedarburg, population 6000 in frigid Wisconsin. didn't even get to a drag strip till I was 21.
LOL! Don’t feel so bad my man! I lived in the middle of the Sea of Suburbia, my high school had 6,000 kids attending and I didn’t see a drag strip until I was 20.

I got my first MP catalog around then. The engines book shortly thereafter. That book helped a lot. Getting information from the local car meets kept my young head spinning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back