Toluene Dart - '73 swinger

-
Well, since the 360 is now a boat anchor. I decided the cost of finding another block and then having the machine work done and building from scratch wouldn't be cost effective at this time. So I ordered a 408(actually a 410) short block from Blueprint through Pace Performance.
Good price and fast shipping. Here are some pics.

mmm.. Goodies..

mocked up for giggles.

yeah.. we'll see how it goes. I have alot of people interested in how it works. I hope it's awesome and I can give it a glowing review.

Everything was tight and it turns over good. nothing abnormal looking. I threw my Crane cam in it and the 596 heads for the time being. I do plan on swapping to aluminum heads and a much bigger cam later on this year. But this will at least get me going for car show season.

and so far with the little crane cam I have in it and the old heads from the other block.. it has a ton of torque. Even babying it the difference is noticeable. I'll try and get a good video clip of it running and post. Probably tomorrow.

and so far with the little crane cam I have in it and the old heads from the other block.. it has a ton of torque. Even babying it the difference is noticeable. I'll try and get a good video clip of it running and post. Probably tomorrow.
what cc heads did u use, and the final comp. ratio is what ? just curious, never messed w/ a small block mopar .

what cc heads did u use, and the final comp. ratio is what ? just curious, never messed w/ a small block mopar .
these heads are the old heads off the engine. I wanted the car running for spring/summer so I can save for the edelbrocks/speedmaster whatever heads I ultimately decide to purchase.
BUT.. 596 heads that I cleaned up in a home port job. (no I don't have a flowbench but when I first did it, it was very noticeable.)
SO with these heads i'm guessing right at 9-1 due to the large chamber (68-70cc?). I never actually cc'd the heads, since I plan on new ones anyhow.
Crane 150062 cam - same cam as the old engine. This will be changed with the heads to something a little beefier I hope.
this idle is about 550-600rpm

Did that block come with freeze blocks and cam bearings?

What heads are you going with?

Did that block come with freeze blocks and cam bearings?

What heads are you going with?
yeah.. came ready to put in cam, oil pump and then all the other stuff...
Not sure which heads.. Might get some edelbrocks or some bare speedmasters and build them the way I wan.t

yeah.. came ready to put in cam, oil pump and then all the other stuff...
Not sure which heads.. Might get some edelbrocks or some bare speedmasters and build them the way I wan.t

Awesome, Im pretty sure I am going to pick one up.

Im running iron EQ's from Hughes, I've been impressed with them so far. But I just talked to a guy that was running these. He loves them.

Screenshot_20170507-201236.png

So... I went to cars and coffee today. All good fun, not a lot of people. I go to leave and get down the street, I get on it next to a pack of subaru's.. and sure as ****.. my damn muffler flies right the eff off the pipe. I'm sure I scared that suby kid pretty good when that sucker went straight pipe. That will be the last time I use exhaust clamps.
I went and bought some Dynomax UltraFlo's and welded them sumbitches on. They don't really sound all that great at idle to me, but they do sound much much better when driving and getting on it. But the idle thing could be because this thing seems waaay under cammed.

car show today.
18953551_10207310977331546_1986690005022217558_o_zpssuoi4l8b.jpg

I think it needs a tunnel ram..
hessam4.gif

Last edited:
I had the Hooker version. I wasn't into there sound at idle ether. Not to bad of a sound at cruise.

I also checked out the Dyno Max VT. Same sound but quiter at idle and louder at cruise. WOT is loud. It has a reduced sound deadening area inside.

I'm still not sold on the ultra flo's... maybe i'm just too used to the flowmaster style mufflers. These are quiet at cruise, weird at idle, but get pretty loud when the skinny pedal is pushed. I need louder, so maybe electric cutouts to feed the beast within.

So... I went to cars and coffee today. All good fun, not a lot of people. I go to leave and get down the street, I get on it next to a pack of subaru's.. and sure as ****.. my damn muffler flies right the eff off the pipe. I'm sure I scared that suby kid pretty good when that sucker went straight pipe. That will be the last time I use exhaust clamps.
I went and bought some Dynomax UltraFlo's and welded them sumbitches on. They don't really sound all that great at idle to me, but they do sound much much better when driving and getting on it. But the idle thing could be because this thing seems waaay under cammed.

I have to ask. How was it installing the head on the driver's side and re bolting the headers? I went to eddys and I have TTI's. I am ready to kick someone's butt!

I have to ask. How was it installing the head on the driver's side and re bolting the headers? I went to eddys and I have TTI's. I am ready to kick someone's butt!
it sucked... basically lift the engine and drop the headers.. my headers are cheapo ones so they're a PITA to move. but it was worth it.. up until today...

We need a moment of silence for my 904 trans.. it has finally died. Wth it's only money. :BangHead::BangHead:

Sounds bitchin' , to me.... ! (Witch muffler, you choose? .. My turn down short system, is whizzing off ,the two cop neighbor's... You might need to check: primary float level, and pump shot... That slight hesitation,..... (Yeah , I am a butt head, it sounds SO GOOD , otherwise...)

yeah, 50cc pump, float level centered, 5 1/2-6psi, 38 squirter... the hesitation was pretty wicked at first. I've tweaked and messed with a bunch of the carb. Honestly though it's a 650 speed demon and I plan on a tunnel ram for the ***** and giggles. Can't drive the car much anyhow now that the trans decided to poop out on me. hopefully by next spring the car will be a different setup completely.

don't mind the belt squeak, I added new pullies.. but this is with the turndowns welded on the UltraFlos.. 2 1/2 no cross over.

Future - soon - whenever I have more money hah.
Tunnel ram 2x450's
MUCH bigger cam, hopefully something in the 240ish duration.. 550ish lift.. kinda like a XE285HL or similar
3.91 gears
3500+ stall probably PTC (waiting on e-mails)
New trans - Reverse manual valve body, 2.74 low gear

Last edited:
yeah, 50cc pump, float level centered, 5 1/2-6psi, 38 squirter... the hesitation was pretty wicked at first. I've tweaked and messed with a bunch of the carb. Honestly though it's a 650 speed demon and I plan on a tunnel ram for the ***** and giggles. Can't drive the car much anyhow now that the trans decided to poop out on me. hopefully by next spring the car will be a different setup completely.

Tunnel ram 2x450's
MUCH bigger cam, hopefully something in the 240ish duration.. 550ish lift.. kinda like a XE285HL or similar
3.91 gears
3500+ stall
I actually had that same combo, (with parts actually on hand..) with the 408 combo, I built.. If you install that combo, it would crank , indeed... A side note: a 294 s solid lifter Comp Cams, or something equivalent..would be so much more streetable ..., over the big hydraulic cams... You can't believe the difference, until you experience it... Personal experience....

-
Back