Too Agressive With the Leaf Spring Rebuild?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
The shop that I trusted to augment my leaf springs for the '65 Formula S went and put a full leaf on both sides. The new leaf looks like it may be a larger "caliber" than the factory used, at least on the ends where there is very little "bevel" (new leaf in photo #1 is second from the right, a darker color than the factory leaves). I got more than enough extra lift in the rear now (maybe too much), but since the drivetrain, glass, fuel tank and other stuff have not been installed, I have no idea if we went too far with the new spring rate.

For one thing, I assume with the jack stands located under the rear axle now that all the weight is already being supported by the springs (motor/trans now installed but still no glass, interior, etc.). It looks like the factory style shocks are almost to the point of being hyper-extended so I attached a little home made "ruler" on each shock to monitor the travel of the rear suspension once it hits the road again. I am thinking we may have to re-evaluate the application of that full extra leaf and maybe cut it down some. Won't know for awhile though.

And even with an extended pinion snubber, the snubber is no less than 4 inches from the floor pan. That distance may not serve the snubber at all.

leaf spring 2.JPG

shock ruler.JPG

pinion snubber 6.JPG

Last edited:
Until you get everything installed and the tank full of gas and bounce the springs around for a while you have no idea if they are "right" or not. Including the spare tire and jack!! Even after installing stock springs you have to bounce on the back of the car (with wheels on the ground) to get them to settle. Unless you're going 100 percent stock you can also install some 1 inch (or 1/2 inch) lowering block if necessary.

You going off roadding?
:rofl:

If the photo with the shock is with full body weight I would think you have a bit too much spring.

If you put a 150 to 200 lb person in the trunk where does it sit?

Good thing is you could shim the rear end down if you needed to, and since it is not the top leaf you could replace it without removing the rear or the entire spring pack.

You may have gotten the cart before the horse. You can NOT evaluate springs until you get the complete car on the ground, and drive it. Springs WILL sag somewhat.

The thing is, buying these so early, is if they aren't what you want, by the time you get the car going there will likely be no help from the manufacturer

The leaf was added to the stock springs by a local shop down the street. The leaf added rides right underneath the top leaf, the top leaf being the factory longest one.

The leaf was added to the stock springs by a local shop down the street. The leaf added rides right underneath the top leaf, the top leaf being the factory longest one.
It's not that hard to remove one leaf, all that holds them together is one bolt.....besides, if the "local shop" down the street did something that you didn't ask for they shouldn't have a problem "undoing" what they were not authorized to do.

not enough pictures to make an informed decision. You did not include pics of the rear shackles. Sometimes people have the rear shackles positioned incorrectly. Also the shackle bushings and front spring eye bushing shouldn't be tightened until the car is sitting on level ground on all four tires, with all equipment installed. Commenter is correct, car needs to be finished to tell you exactly what you're dealing with.

-
Back