too much voltage after adding headlight relays

-
Please measure the RESISTANCE of the field for us. Maybe that fluke has an open ammeter fuse.
Ground to field terminal, or terminal 1 to 2 on two wire versions.

Is there a spark when you pull the field terminal off? It sounds there should be some arcing when you pull the field terminal if you are seeing as much voltage drop as yoy describe.

Please measure the RESISTANCE of the field for us. Maybe that fluke has an open ammeter fuse.
Ground to field terminal, or terminal 1 to 2 on two wire versions.
Yes there is a spark and resistance is .011

Is there a spark when you pull the field terminal off? It sounds there should be some arcing when you pull the field terminal if you are seeing as much voltage drop as yoy describe.

Disregard the resistance reading it's not correct
But we're now trying to figure out how NO current flowed with the meter in series.
Could be OK field, could be shorted.
By picture of meter we have no circuit, apparently.
Not sure of spec.

It's. 03 on the blue
What?
Sorry I haven't kept track of your colors.
Pull all field wires, then measure resistance term 1 to 2 ifyou have a two conn field, or field term to alt case for older types.
.03 is a dead short somehow if that's for real, which is why I ask you to measure with wires pulled.

Both field wires are ok they had the same amount of resistance as when I touch my meter together. I have the right amount of voltage everywhere until I plug into anything then it drops down to the from 12.20v to 11.40v it has to be a ground doesn't it? I wish there was a hot line to call lol it'd be alot easier to explain

[I had an issue not too long ago with my voltage g around 15 volts, my headlights were flickering and my voltage gauge was jumping. I fixed it with an adjustable regulator and a relay. Here is a link to the thread and the wiring diagram I made. Hope that this helps.
ATTACH=full]1714962996[/ATTACH]
Lights flicker and gauge jumps around???

Charging system relay modification.jpg

Charging system relay modification.jpg

So I've got it down to .6v of loss from the blue field wire to the battery. And narrowed that loss down to .5v coming from the blue wire going to the alternator feild and the other .1v I'm losing from the blue wire going to the ballast resistor.

If I disconnect the green field wire and measure the blue field wire I have no drop. But as soon as they are both plugged into the alternator the .5v drop returns

[I had an issue not too long ago with my voltage g around 15 volts, my headlights were flickering and my voltage gauge was jumping. I fixed it with an adjustable regulator and a relay. Here is a link to the thread and the wiring diagram I made. Hope that this helps.
ATTACH=full]1714962996[/ATTACH]
Lights flicker and gauge jumps around???

View attachment 1714962992

View attachment 1714962996
its funny I actually commented on that post back in june to see what had happened with the OP's issue and forgot to "watch" that post. thanks a ton for bringing that to my attention

its funny I actually commented on that post back in june to see what had happened with the OP's issue and forgot to "watch" that post. thanks a ton for bringing that to my attention

No problem, that worked well for me and that adjustable regulator was only about $20.00. I paid $35.00 for a nonadjustable one from Napa. Let me know if you have any questions. Good Luck

-
Back