Too Rough To Save?

-

longarm

Car sold back to original owners
Reaction score
At what point do you say a car is too rusted to save.
1974 Cuda
body media blasted
rust holes on every panel
lots of good parts
When do you say it's not savable?
Yes, there is plenty of parts to sell and I can make money.
I want to know if I should try to save a 74 shell that is
very rusted and how and who would I sell it to.

74 cuda 027.jpg

74 cuda 028.jpg

74 cuda 031.jpg

74 cuda 032.jpg

74 cuda 033.jpg

74 cuda 025.jpg

74 cuda 037.jpg

74 cuda 023.jpg

A bit of spit and glue and she'll be perfect :-D Seriously though, if you're paying someone to do it, she's pretty far gone, if you're doing it all yourself it's good to go, I've done as bad and worse :sad5:

Don't know what the hood and front clip looks like but there is much work to be done to save it. Poor thing looks like it is made out of wood and the termites had their way with it. So if you really, really want to save it and want a 74 cuda then "to far gone" is when you stop working on it.

Good luck to whichever you choose.

if you have the time and the rest of the parts for it ( interior and drive train ) then i say fix on it at your leasure. i have a friend here in mechanicsville va. that started with a 73 challenger shell. it needed everything and i do mean everything. it was in just the same shape metal wise. it is now driving on the street with a crate 426 hemi in it. your call

I've seen worse fixed.......in magazines anyway

that thing is mint compared to my cuda. Mine is to that stage and further. On mine the frame is completely rusted and is in the midst of a new frame.

You can save that one easy :clock:

IMG_1542.jpg

IMG_1541.jpg

IMG_1538.jpg

IMG_1560.jpg

IMG_1543.jpg

IMG_1557.jpg

I wouldn't even consider tackling something like this body repair.
Should I part it and crush the remains or would someone
buy and attempt to repair.
I can't have another car body just setting around,
It has doors and a hood, new rear quarters, partical trunk floor,
some interior,some glass.
What would be a fair price be? how do you price it?

If you do not want to tackle this project.I would sell it or part it out.But DO NOT scrap the body it can be saved.They make every body panel for these cars now.70-74 E bodys are hard to find.Someone will buy it and save it.
Jim

Good gosh 440 Valient I can't believe you can fix something like that!
You want to buy another project?

68383GTS every part and piece has a hole in it after it was blasted.

I forget northerners think that is a rust free car............

I would have to agree, its only to far gone if you are not intrested in fixing it. In that case some one else will. They make just about every panel for these cars. I pulled my 73 340 Dart out of a field it looked every bit as bad as the one you are asking about, I replaced every panel on the car and it was only a Dart. Please dont crush it, they arent making any more and it will make some ones day if its had at a resonable price!

Maybe you could make a race car out of it. They used to go through a lot of effort to acid dip them to lighten them up. Yours let mother nature do it and it's got to be a lot lighter now.

Seriously, if you don't count your labor and can do it all yourself, treat it as a challenge. I don't weld so any work like yours I would have to pay for, so I would probably cut and run. But consider the bragging rights you'd have when you show the before/after photos.

When I first seen it I asked if it was dipped and he said blasted.
I sold one worse than this but it was a 70 bb chally R/T still
had the dana.
I registered it with pictures before I sold it.
I'm a little suprised that theres this much interest in this car.
I can't imagine the work you would put in it let alone the money.

me5.JPG

my pictures 045.jpg

there weren't many 74 cudas even made! if you really need to sell it then it needs to go to someone that will bring it back rather than crush it....

you should have seen my charger. it didnt even have drip rails anymore. rusted away. i dont even know what was keeping the windshield in. that car needed everything. roof included. sold it last week for 3800.

It's a 4 speed 74 cuda! Save it!

It is one of the last E-Bodies and the 74's were the rarest because there were only produced for half a year!

I kick myself for passing up a 74 360/727 Challenger Rallye a couple years back. It was in just about as bad of shape as your car but was 95% complete and came with a bunch of extra parts for $2000.00. I later found out the owner scrapped the car because he couldn't sell it whole and didn't want to part it out! It was burnish red metallic with a white top and interior.

The only consolilation is that the cars original 360 is now fully rebuilt and at home in my brothers 73 Challenger!

Joe

I've posted these photos before, sorry to those that have seen them.

We (my buddy and I) put new front frame, floor pans, rockers and more into this '69 Valiant and it's not a valuable car, but had so much fun at night during a long winter and learned so much, I can't wait to do it all again!

You can do that car if you want, but like others said it'll cost a fortune if you send it out, find another car if that's the case.

IMG_8907.JPG

IMG_8959.JPG

IMG_8957.JPG

IMG_9132.JPG

-
Back