1. oldkimmer

oldkimmer FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    12:14 PM
    ............I mostly have snap-on, some mac and some mastercraft..........my tool boxes are all snap-on......kim...........

2. R4Sedan

R4Sedan Life in the Fastback Lane FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    1:14 PM
    I have mostly Craftsman.

3. 1970Duster

1970Duster Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:14 AM
    Craftsman, snap on, gear wrench (love those gear drive wrenches!), some Mac.

4. 340wedge

340wedge Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    6:14 PM
    Mostly all Craftsman from the early 80's, I have some S&K and I buy alot bent wrenches like the old starter wrenches, nice to have for Mopar V8s..

5. sireland67

sireland67 Well-Known Member

Local Time:

6. dart64gt

dart64gt Well-Known Member

Local Time:

7. 74DartSwinger360

74DartSwinger360 The Brat Pack

Local Time:
    mostly craftsman but like husky also(From Home Depot) cause they have a liftime warranty like Craftsman

8. sdahmer

sdahmer Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    x3

I don't have the money for mac or snap-on so I stick with craftsman and harbor freight. The $6 snap-ring pliers I got from hf might be flimsy and cheap, but they still did the job during my 904 rebuild. And to me, that's what matters, getting the job done.

9. dodge71demon

dodge71demon Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Blackhawk

10. bernieca

bernieca Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Yes, here in Canada we get Mastercraft and Mastercraft Maximum. Great tools and the Maximum have a lifetime warranty. Repaired or replaced no hassel. Also have some Craftsman, Huskey and Gray (made in Canada and excellent tools).

11. dartcuda1

dartcuda1 67 Barracuda 500ci 6sp

Local Time:
    I have them all.Snap on the worst.Old craftsman the best.I break more snap on tools then any other tools. Mark

12. theothergarth

theothergarth Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Mostly Craftsman here with some Snap-on and old S & K (grandfathers tools) in the mix. Kobalt and Huskey are stepping up to compete with Craftsman with good prices, warrentee, and (decent) quality. The only tool I every had break was the newer Craftsman rachets, but having several of them saves me the frustration of needing to run to the store in the middle of the job to get a new one. I like to look for old broken tools (the ones with the replacement warrentees) at yard sales. Buy em cheap then run to Sears or Ace Hardware and exchange it for a new one.

13. 69383valiant

69383valiant Mopar because anybody can work on a chevy or ford. FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    Have mostly craftsman but I also have some of all the other brands too. They all work. Even the brands not mentioned like, Kmart, India tools and a few others. And what does not come off with the tools I have I have a Dremel tool that takes care of the rest....

14. 1968dartman

1968dartman life is getting better!!

Local Time:

x2!!

15. jos51700

jos51700 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I won't touch Harbor Fright. That money saved on a tool isn't worth the rounded fasteners, busted knuckles, and scratched paint when cheap tools give out. Every time I get a call to help someone, I show up and half the problem is cheap tools.

The one name brand that really took a dive....VISE GRIPS! If it says "Irwin" on it, it's junk! I buy all the non-Irwin vise-grips I can find. I found a stash of NOS Vise Grips at an autoparts store on clearance and I bought them all!

16. 1968dartman

1968dartman life is getting better!!

Local Time:
    Harbour Freight sounds like Princess Auto here in Canada!!

17. Darter6

Darter6 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I think just about every brand is in my box, some over 70 years old and handed down 3 generations.Even Montgomery Ward (made by Thorensen) For years Easco made the Craftsman line.Wright was big in the steel mill industry. I did find a retail store selling them in western PA last summer.My box(still in use) was the largest Snap-on had in 1976. Small today compared to what is out there now.Cost $1200 for top and bottom. I made $4 bucks a hour at the Dodge dealership.My payments were $5 bucks a week to the Snap-on Truck.

18. crvtec90

crvtec90 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    You get what u pay for.....no doubt about it.

Craftsman tools are for a crafty man ( or woman) who wrenches occassionally

If youre doing it everyday the snapon,mac,matco is the way to go but the prices are astronomical. You can pick up stuff used at the pawn shop and save $$$$

The devil is in the details. You will fight a stuck phillips head screw with a craftsman and ruin the screw head. Then grab a snapon screwdriver and take that same screw right out. PRECISION machined stuff

I have a 90$ 1/4 swivel head ratchet from snapon that is amazing! worth every penny since i use it all day every day.

The high dollar air tools are much more powerful and make a lot less noise. A cheap harbor freight one is louder than a cat in heat.

Look at the deep well sockets. The snapon ones will have a ledge on the inside for the bolt/nut to rest on. When your under a car trying to get the bellhousing bolts in from 3 feet away you put the bolt in a craftsman socket it falls all the way to the bottom. Then you cant start the bolt in the threads.

Im not ragging on anybody using cheap stuff, you gotta figure out what works best for yourself. When I dont have enough strength to break bolts loose i have a wide assortment of old fence posts and pipes to add leverage. Sometimes works and sometimes breaks tools. If i break the craftsman i take it back and get another. If its tool truck brand tools I have to wait for the truck to show up.

19. Bulldozer

Bulldozer Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Rani is hardly the "crafty" or "occassional" wrencher . that lady is running those tools into the ground and putting them through their paces on a daily bases.

Craftsman makes good stuff, been using them for decades. husky tools are junk, i cant count the broken ratchets ive seen. my ratchets are mostly Mac and snap-on but 90% of everything else is Craftsman

20. rlevs

rlevs Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    most of mine are Craftsman other socket wretchs craftsman suck some snap on mac matco sk habor freight

21. 72golddustermike

72golddustermike Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    mostley snap-on but any new purchases will be kobalt cause snap on man never comes around. if i break kobalt back to lowes for another plus thier air tools have three year warranty.

22. ocdart

ocdart Inland Mopars Car Club FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    Bought my first Craftsman toolset in '69. Bought my Craftsman rollaway and topbox when I bought my house back in '72 and been loading it with Craftsman stuff since then. Prefer the older Craftsman stuff - lasts forever. Still have my grandfathers tap and die set in the wooden box it came in.
    Can't beat the warranty. Found out that a wobbly-joint socket was the only thing I could get to the bottom back head bolt when working on my 340 in my old '69 Swinger back then. When torquing the heads, found out the wobbly-joint socket went to 90 lbs-ft but broke at 95. Broke one, took it to the local store for an instant replacement. Went back home, broke the second one and took it back. Got a strange look from the sales guy but got another free replacement.

23. Old Tired Rebel

Old Tired Rebel Legandary Member Legendary Member

Local Time:
    I have Craftsman hand tools,some HF tools which I use if I don't care if it gets broken. I also have CH Air tools ,HF air tools which work great, Ingersol Rand and Craftsman tools

24. SirDan

SirDan Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Mostly use craftsman because they are cheap and capable of getting the job done. I feel the sockets are pretty decent, only ever broke them from hammering on them or using 4 feet of leverage, things they weren't designed for. Their ratches blow, they get the job done but have issues. The design hurts your hand ALOT if you really gotta muscle a bolt loose. who the hell thought of making it have hard edges?
    [​IMG]

My 1/4 inch ratchet doesn't ratchet very nicely OOTB. gotta wear it in i guess.

Id really like to get some nice snap on ratchets since they seem to be better designed. other than that craftsman is fine, if I was loaded you bet id have snap on or mac tools. but like I said craftsman gets the job done.

Harbor freight is hit or miss. my friend bought a 1/4 socket/ratchet set figured he could keep it in his car. he goes to use it and there is no 12mm! then to add insult to injury the 10mm is really like a 11mm. set is practically useless at this point.

I've bought other things and they worked okay but its like a 50/50 shot of it working rite unless its something like a hammer, even the Chinese cant F that up!

25. 360-68cudu

360-68cudu Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I like craftman and harbor freight its always nice to find something at the junk yard feels like unwraping a Christmas gift yard sale bargains are fun too (not a duralast fan, sorry autozone)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.