Tool Brands

-
Can you say lifetime warranty? Why sure you can.

The box has mostly S-K, and Craftsman with a smattering of Cobalt, Snap-on, and Mac thrown in. I've had the ½" S-Ks since 1968 only recently replaced the ½" ratchet handle (head broken trying to extract a ball joint aided by a 6' cheater bar), and a 5/8" socket (lost).

One of the more unusual hand tools in the box is a Snap-on cross-tip screwdriver with a 2' long shaft. Made lots of $s during tough times changing out Mac computer VGA/Power Supply boards and doing drive upgrades on IBM computers.

I have mostly Craftsman with some Snap-On, Mac,Matco stuff mixed in. Craftsman sockets and the wrenches have been good to me but for the ratchets I prefer my Snap-On's. I have had the same 3/8 long handle flex head ratchet since '98 and it gets used pretty much every day.

I have been working on all different types of equipment (cars, forklifts, heavy equipment, etc.,) for about 15 years now and my Craftsman stuff has worked great.

Using my tools every day I started out with craftsman but soon grew tired of busted knuckles and broken tools. I have since been growing my collection to Snap-on and Matco and haven't looked back. (Yes they do break occasionally but it's not nearly as often and hey, gotta love having a truck that comes to you once a week to replace stuff that has a life time warranty on it.)

I can't stand the craftsman ratcheting wrenches, they are absolute garbage and have caused way too many busted knuckles (both styles). The sockets seem to work ok (6 point, not so much the 12 point) and as mentioned the deep ones don't have the handy shoulder; but I am not a fan of the ratchets the detents suck and they break way too easily. I broke a new 3/8" ratchet within a week of starting work and replaced it with a Snap-on one that hasn't let me down since; that wasn't a fluke either as it's happened several times. I also broke a 1/2" TQ wrench and they wouldn't do anything about it, sorry but thats bad service (not to mention the hurt hand when it let go) it was the ratcheting part too, something that Snap-on ect... would warranty for life.

Also doing auto body there are a lot of specialty tools you can't find anywhere else besides Snap-on, Matco, Mac, ect... and others like Morgan.

I love my Snap-on box too the draws roll so much smoother then either the craftsman or kobalt boxes, night and day.

The good tools don't have to cost an arm and a leg either I pick up Snap-on and Matco stuff all the time at pawn shops, yard sales, Craigslist, it pays to shop around, of course some stuff you have to buy off the truck though.

Not trying to be a snob and I personally think craftsman are fine for your home enthusiast but they slow you down when your trying to make a living.

I/m a big S-K and Matco fan, but have lots of Craftsman because it's the best that's easily available. Kobalt is not bad either.

I will say that the feel of the craftsman wrenches is not as comfortable as some of the more expensive ones.

I'm a big value for the money guy (notice I said VALUE, not cost or low price), and for me Mac, Snap on etc just isn't worth the price premium.
If I can get 95% of the value for 50% of the price.....

-
Back