Torker Intake

-

Bad Sport

HALF A BUBBLE OFF
Staff member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
What's the general consensus on the Edelbrock Torker intake? I have a chance to grab one reasonable, at least I think it is.

What would be a fair price for one in decent shape?

How would it work on a mild 318?

How well would it work on a 408 stroker?

Works good on mine, depends on what else you're running it with though.
They are great with the higher revving engines.

I have a torker 340 on my 408 and its holding it back im going to air gap soon.

The 340 torker and 340 torker 2 are prolly the worst manifolds that Edelbrock ever made, I was lucky to get 35.00 for mine last year on Ebay, NO ONE wants them and Stroker the torker on the big block works completely different on those seems to make fairly good power for some reason, vs the small block version. unless you get it for 35 bucks, I would pass....

.................ya its more or less a door stop unless ur power curve is 3500-6500..no good on the street.....kim.......

The 340 torker and 340 torker 2 are prolly the worst manifolds that Edelbrock ever made, I was lucky to get 35.00 for mine last year on Ebay, NO ONE wants them and Stroker the torker on the big block works completely different on those seems to make fairly good power for some reason, vs the small block version. unless you get it for 35 bucks, I would pass....

Ok. I wasn't aware of the big difference between the big and small block versions. Sorry bout that.

I have one on my Duster, 72 340, and have no issues with it, great off the line (instant smoke with the peg leg 3:23s), real nice scratch in 2nd...pulls hard all the way to 6K. So I am in no hurry to swap it out. That said, I bought the car with this set up, and know it's been cammed but no idea on the specs, 3200ish stall converter, and no idea if any other work has been done to the motor or heads. (Will eventually pull it and run through it to see what I got ...after I take care of all the other stuff that needs fixin)

Will baseline it at the track this summer to see what she really does and see how she stacks up to other comparable set-ups w/different intakes.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Pat

I've got a 340 Torker 2 on my mild 318 and it SUCKS on the street. Will be going to a new intake once my other odds and ends are fixed. It has no balls under 3000rpm and my engine will only turn about 5400rpm before I see the valve coming through the hood.

Looks like it's a pass. Thanks for the input.

It was also recommended that I use the RPM Airgap for the 408 build.

I was just curious on the Torker as I have never used one.

I guess it's time to look at the Airgap.

Apparently there is a slight difference (usually better) between the torker and torkerII. I had the original torker, and I was not impressed, that being said, it was waay better than the 2bbl manifold that I took off......

I had a 340 torker 2 and barley bolted on the front of the intake and CRACK the intake broke just like that!

The Torker 2 is a animal,compared to a older Torker.The plenum is 1.5 to 2 inches taller than a Torker,along with taller,straighter intake port shot.Gutless below 3 to 3500,a great top end manifold.Works nitrous, huge heads.

Apparently there is a slight difference (usually better) between the torker and torkerII. I had the original torker, and I was not impressed, that being said, it was waay better than the 2bbl manifold that I took off......

I'm currently running a 340 spreadbore intake and an 850 TQ on my mild teen. Somehow I get the feeling the Torker would be a downgrade, it is an old intake.

I think I'll grab up an Airgap. I'm in the process of starting a 408 so I can use it there when it's done.

The knock off air gaps get good reviews. That's what I have for my 318 build. Just a thought. Better than 250 plus bucks.

I'm currently running a 340 spreadbore intake and an 850 TQ on my mild teen. Somehow I get the feeling the Torker would be a downgrade, it is an old intake.

I think I'll grab up an Airgap. I'm in the process of starting a 408 so I can use it there when it's done.

I really really like the combo on your 318 as is. That must be a great driving car. If it was mine i would probably just wait until the 408 is ready.

I've got a 340 Torker 2 on my mild 318 and it SUCKS on the street. Will be going to a new intake once my other odds and ends are fixed. It has no balls under 3000rpm and my engine will only turn about 5400rpm before I see the valve coming through the hood.
The intake is rated 2500-6500 RPM's. Having used this intake with a few cams over the years of owning one, the "Package" has to be right for this intake to be anything worth mentioning.

You mill is small and the key word in your post, "Mild 318" just pointed out to me you have a bad mis-match. Make a move to the Performer. Read below.

The Torker 2 is a animal,compared to a older Torker.The plenum is 1.5 to 2 inches taller than a Torker,along with taller,straighter intake port shot. Gutless below 3 to 3500, a great top end manifold. Works (with) nitrous, huge heads. (AKA, well ported.)

To the thread starter, this intake is more likely NOT the intake for you unless your going to run 4.10 at a min. for a rear gear, a fairly large street cam, IMO, start looking at cams in the 248 @ 050 at a min. 3500 stall.

This intake is a great light drag intake for a "On the Cheap" usage if found dirt cheap.

Again, read the "In Bold" in the above quote.

I also agree with OldmanRick.

I have a friend that runs one on his 360, it goes like hell!

I have one that I am going to try out on my 318 I'm building. I think most people that complain about the manifold have the wrong setup for it. One guy that was complaining about it had it on his 4x4!:banghead:

one of the problems with this manifold is its name TORKER. this is kind of misleading. when this manifold was originally made its was intended for a more race application, edelbrock made a manifold at the same time (not sure the name of it i think strip dominator but not sure) that was made for the strip. it was a true race piece. both manifold were listed the same rpm range. rumble says it was 2500-6500 i remember it being 3000-7000 but that dont matter. the reason the torker was named torker was because its was intended to pull more power from the 3000 rpm side and rev to 7000. the other strip type manifold was intended to pull more torque from the 7000 rpm side. if you compare the 2 manifolds the torker and strip manifold have the same runner length, but the torker has much smaller runners and manifold heat provisions.the strip manifold has the heat blocked off. i used a torker manifold on a 340 that i ran on a 3/8 mile oval asphalt with a 2 bbl 500 holley.and it ran well, but with a holley strip manifold i picked up about 90 rpms with no sacrifice to bottom end torque. i also ran one on a 1970 340 challenger 509 cam 850 dp it ran good but when i put a ld340 manifold on it hesitations were gone and just as much top end about 6500 rpm. i didn't work on the carb to work the problems out of it and i think i could have but just a swap and the problems were gone. as was stated before its better then a stock 2 bbl manifold but its tough to cam for this manifold and get a good running piece anywhere.

I pretty much agree with your analysis Wall, just wanted to add, the strip manifold in question was called a TARANTULA.

Hey Wall. I'm about dead set on the RPM range being. Correct for the TorkerII.
After that, other older Intakes I am not sure of at all. Holley made the Strip Dominator. I do not know what Edelbrock head back in the day that was equal

I remember the Tarantula name, but do not remember it's RPM range.

The Torker (either version) would be my LAST choice. I have run one on a 408--It was not impressive at all---461hp @ 5300rpm. J.Rob

Only reason these older big single planes we're popular back in the day was because all the fast street guys (or so we thought at the time:smile:) were running race setups. If you didn't have 12.1, big solid and 4.88 gears you wern't a serious player. Mindset was if 3-7000 r's is good then 4-8500 must be faster. Most of this thinking was probably a result of overcoming stock cyl.heads at the time. Also the fact that 100+ octane was right down at the pump for .30 cents a gallon didn't hurt either.

Now we know more isn't always better...ex: Performer RPM.

Thanks for listening.

Excellent explanaton,Rick.With the advent of more sophisticated airflow,quicker ramp cams,and dirt cheap stroker combos,things have changed.

-
Back