Torker Intake

-
Excellent explanaton,Rick.With the advent of more sophisticated airflow,quicker ramp cams,and dirt cheap stroker combos,things have changed.

Thanks, bomber.

Flow benches and dyno's weren't very available to the general public back then. Porting was a voodoo science to most of us. We picked heads by intake port and valve size, but now we understand velocity and flow under the curve, not to mention chamber design.

Back then we couldn't even fathom the amount of power these muscle car engines would make today and still be streetable.

The Tarantula (also known as the TM-5) came out in 1971 and is a great intake! The original Torker was just a shorter version of the TM-5 for a lower RPM range. The Tarantula is the first really tested Edelbrock intake for the SB mopar. It was tested and designed to prevent "reversion" which was a problem on the single plane intakes of the era. The RPM range I have found for it is about 3,000 to 7,000 and smokes the LD340 in that range.

Hey Wall. I'm about dead set on the RPM range being. Correct for the TorkerII.
After that, other older Intakes I am not sure of at all. Holley made the Strip Dominator. I do not know what Edelbrock head back in the day that was equal

I remember the Tarantula name, but do not remember it's RPM range.

Attachments

• TM5.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 223
Hey Wall. I'm about dead set on the RPM range being. Correct for the TorkerII.
After that, other older Intakes I am not sure of at all. Holley made the Strip Dominator. I do not know what Edelbrock head back in the day that was equal

I remember the Tarantula name, but do not remember it's RPM range.
rumble your right it was 2500 - 6500.all torkers were.the trantula was 3500-7500 the strip dominator was 3500-8500 i have one on my w2 360.....and it pulls way hard from about 2500 up even with my dreaded 323s lol

Thanks guys. Pop quiz; Does any body KNOW what the RPM range is of the W2 HOLLEY STREET DOMINATOR?

1 sits on my shelf awaiting the day.

Thanks guys. Pop quiz; Does any body KNOW what the RPM range is of the W2 HOLLEY STREET DOMINATOR?

1 sits on my shelf awaiting the day.

I give up Rumble. Searched around and couldn't find much at all on the street version. I do remember there were a couple of articles back in the day of some fairly mild W2 street builds but i can't remember the specifics.
Most reg. sd manifolds were 1500-5500 iirc. I believe the W2 was a little higher 2500-6500 or so. Hope a member with first hand experience will chime in.

Thanks Rick. I'd bet it is a 2500 - 6500 range. This intake looks alot like the older MPP intake. It actually came to me in such a box from a member here. It was purchased from a dealer.

hey rumble don't know what the range is probably correct on 2500-6500. i used one when i ran south west tour with a 390 4 bbl and some port work in the manifold and i ran it to 8600 with great results. so its a piece your going to love. later i went to w-5s and picked up a hundred more rpms. used the same manifold with a bunch of grinding to make it work.

Hey Wall, thanks. I bet that took a good bit of grinding to make work. Whew!
I want to do a W2 engine and a Purple .557 w/1.6 rockers for a street machine. Nothing to hairy mind you.

Rumble,actually that would be a sweet combo.A friend in Florida has a 72 Dart 737/4200 con/4.57s out back.A mild roller(250/260 @ .050?) snd mild W2s run mid 10s apo day long.The combo picked up six tenths over worked Eddys I watched flow close to 280@ .600.

Thanks man. Do you remember what he did for a carb?

-
Back