Torqstorm.. let's see how it does

-
Very interested in seeing how this goes. I am not decided yet on how my build is going to go, but this peaks my interest. If you were building that motor with supercharging in mind, would you still build a stroker?

Well I just got my torqstorm, so I figured I would post it's journey.
First off it's going on a 408 in my 73 dart.
This 408 was built for a little spray. Does not have a "turbo" cam and is 11.7:1 compression.
This is not a daily driver. I am also converting everything to e85 to help with any detonation issues that may show up.
I know this blower is small, but it will be a fun experiment and if I feel like I need to upgrade, I have 2 other small block a bodies this thing would feel right at home with.

First off it's well packaged, and it's Purdy.

View attachment 1715809520
View attachment 1715809521
View attachment 1715809519
View attachment 1715809518
View attachment 1715809517

The bracket is thick and everything lines up just right.
When I was looking into the kit initially I was worried about the crank pulley and how it was setup, mainly because I need the underdrive. That being said, the supplied pulley is a beaut. It is basically a March underdrive pulley designed with the blower drive, matches my old March pulley.
View attachment 1715809523
View attachment 1715809524

I have the supercharger all bolted up and lined up, pretty dang good. I did have to add a washer to help line up the bracket. But the kit does still work the power steering. Tight fit though.
View attachment 1715809525
View attachment 1715809526
View attachment 1715809533
It didn't take long to get everything bolted. Pretty streamlined. But now I'm stuck waiting for my e85 HP innovations carb to show up.
In the mean time I can start to change some of my fuel system over and remove the nitrous plate and wiring.
I'll keep you guys updated.
Bada$$. Where in Reno do you live? I used to live north off of 395 in Stead near the old Army base. Watched the Air Races from my backyard.

Bada$$. Where in Reno do you live? I used to live north off of 395 in Stead near the old Army base. Watched the Air Races from my backyard.
I used to live in Sun Valley. Then we sold that place and bought a house in Fernley outside of reno.

Very interested in seeing how this goes. I am not decided yet on how my build is going to go, but this peaks my interest. If you were building that motor with supercharging in mind, would you still build a stroker?
Strokers are always good.
Especially if you have to get a new crank anyways.

So I've been thinking. I know mathematically a dual 3" exhaust can support 680-700hp NA (for a zero loss system)... Does this same math still apply to exhaust size when in a boosted application? Would a 3" straight through style exhaust still only support the 680ish hp or can it support more? Obviously with turbo's I've seen people make 1,000hp through smaller exhaust, but Supercharger? I would think the math still applies to the supercharged engine.

I've been thinking about building a new exhaust to fit my TTi Headers, since they have 3.5" collectors I figure it wouldn't hurt to build an exhaust that is 3.5" throughout.

So I've been thinking. I know mathematically a dual 3" exhaust can support 680-700hp NA (for a zero loss system)... Does this same math still apply to exhaust size when in a boosted application? Would a 3" straight through style exhaust still only support the 680ish hp or can it support more? Obviously with turbo's I've seen people make 1,000hp through smaller exhaust, but Supercharger? I would think the math still applies to the supercharged engine.

I've been thinking about building a new exhaust to fit my TTi Headers, since they have 3.5" collectors I figure it wouldn't hurt to build an exhaust that is 3.5" throughout.
I've got an n/a 440 and a n/a 406, and both have full 3 1/2 systems off of the 3 1/2 collectors.
Built the 3 1/2 for a stroker big block eventually, in place of the 440, and the small block system was built with the cheapest quiet 3 1/2 mufflers I could find, and leftover tubing from the 440.
I'd go for it.

Super charger/Turbo = 6 or one half dozen
The engine is seeing pressure and exhaust it. Perhaps the amount of pressure an engine see’s could vary that exhaust a bit? IDK myself.

At the described HP level, I don’t think a 3-1/2 exhaust pipe would hurt. But…….. I’d dyno it and find out how much tube added on to the collector would be the best benefit. At that point, add a pressure termination box and have it exit with the same size pipe into a likewise diameter muffler

I still haven't got my e85 blow through carb yet. Been five months. But I have made my 950 quickfuel work (low boost anyways).
Turn the timing down and this thing is spicy even at 6ish psi and sounds like a friggen jet. Totally cool.
I have also swapped out the pancake style hat that came with the kit with a holley carb hat.

Obligatory pictures.
20220129_164214.jpg

20220206_171734.jpg

Nice work. When do we get a video?
track doesn't open till april.. I could probably make a quick video cruising.. The bypass valve is SUPER loud and the camera I can guarantee won't do it justice.

Last edited:

3.5" will not hurt you at all.
My co-worker runs 5" from his turbo to the rear bumper on his truck, and its not a diesel.
That truck is stupid crazy, it will bust the rear tires loose at 55 mph.
He had to turn the boost down to 9 psi just to make it drivable.
19 psi made the truck worthless, un-controllable.

My co-worker runs 5" from his turbo to the rear bumper on his truck, and its not a diesel.
Oh I know it won't hurt... I was thinking would it be worth the cost.. 3.5" piping and bends are getting somewhat pricey, same with mufflers.
Not sure I can justify $600 in mufflers and pipes for little to no gain.

My truck is the same way. On 17 pounds it was scary. I drive around daily on 5psi. The exhaust after my turbo is 6”, But it’s only 36” long. I have a remote mount. I’d be curious to know more about his truck.

Not the best video.. but I figured I'd record while tweaking the carb.

How much boost is this thing making? I'm on the fence of getting one for my 340.
On my engine. Maybe 6.5psi (at the top of a 950cfm carb) at 5000ft. But boost is just a measurement of resistance, so every engine is gonna be a little different.

Most stockish setups I see alot of people making 8-10psi with torqstorms. But take that with a grain of salt.

How much boost is this thing making? I'm on the fence of getting one for my 340.

a guy at our local track took an old A body race car he used to campaign….tossed literally a bone stock junkyard 360 in it, installed a torqstorm…ran mid 11’s
Thats the only first hand results i have ever heard of personally. He is a long time racer, was pretty pleased with it.

-
Back