Torqstorm.. let's see how it does

-
Not sure what broke first... but I brokeded my toy.
Car started overheating. Badly and quick. Something was definity wrong. Then after the new heads gaskets started seeping water into the cylinders. One cylinder on each bank. I retorqued, no change. Checked timing after putting the top end back together... damn thing won't run below 60° advance, balancer spun.
Did compression test for giggles. 155-160psi cranking on all 8 cylinders. I changed the oil since the headgaskets had seeped water. I cut open the filter and found metal. So I decided to pull the engine and fix the bearings and whatever else before it got really bad... it got bad. Lol

5 out of 8 pistons melted? Check
View attachment 1715940634
Broken water pump. Check
View attachment 1715940636
Balancer spun 30° ish check.
View attachment 1715940635

But... bearing looked pretty good... not sure where the metal came from. Maybe it was leftovers.
Since the pistons were screwed. Decided on a new rotating assembly with pistons that will put.me back down to about 10.5:1.
View attachment 1715940637
View attachment 1715940638
And now I get to use the electric water pump I've had for a year In a box.
View attachment 1715940639
View attachment 1715940640
View attachment 1715940641
View attachment 1715940642
And as I was going through my rocker shafts.. I found another surprise.
View attachment 1715940643
Glad I saw the crack.
What you're doing is the epitome of bulletproofing. You run what you have until it breaks, then fix it better! Way to go!

The lower compression doesn't seem to have changed much.
Still trapped 127mph @7100ft da this weekend. Converter has about 20% slip now. 6500rpm, 28" tire, 3.55 gears 1:1 final gear in the trans.
I seem to have figured the fueling out for the most part. But in the top of third it gets really fat and starts to stumble. Not sure if my fuel bowls are getting too much because of the boost reference regulator? (Just a theory) or maybe the boost reference power valve is hanging up?.. I know on the return road it also ran super fat (10.0 gas scale). But if I park it for a while then fire it back up it's back to normal 13.0 idle, 12.8-13.0 cruise.

Someone mentioned spark blowout. But I dunno. Plugs are gapped about .028 and it's about 6-7psi.

I swapped over to my pump gas carb. Drove around for hot august nights and overall beat the piss out of the car.

first pass on the next track day to see how the gas carb works…10.0 afr at wot. 2nd pass, pulled some jet.. 10.2-10.8 afr….. popped a head gasket again.. same spot too. I have some SCE titan ICS copper gaskets on the way and I’m gonna drop the heads off to be surfaced. So hopefully the fresh surfacing and new head gaskets help.

Tbh I expected the head gaskets to give up the ghost. They’re the felpro 1008, honestly surprised they even survived the first 2 track outings.

1008’s at how many PSI?
You've
I swapped over to my pump gas carb. Drove around for hot august nights and overall beat the piss out of the car.

first pass on the next track day to see how the gas carb works…10.0 afr at wot. 2nd pass, pulled some jet.. 10.2-10.8 afr….. popped a head gasket again.. same spot too. I have some SCE titan ICS copper gaskets on the way and I’m gonna drop the heads off to be surfaced. So hopefully the fresh surfacing and new head gaskets help.

Tbh I expected the head gaskets to give up the ghost. They’re the felpro 1008, honestly surprised they even survived the first 2 track outings.
That’s what they say about me and my head…. Not so much my cars head….
That’s what they say about me and my head…. Not so much my cars head….
Have you checked block for straightness, have you looked at block deck thickness in this area? 10 lbs. boost isn't anything. also do you have a boost retard? just trying to help.
i,d also look at spraying with alcohol in frt. of supercharger even if afr. is good, cools intake charge to eliminate detonation. The 1008 has a fire ring around cyl. .

1008s are junk. You need mls gaskets.

You've

Have you checked block for straightness, have you looked at block deck thickness in this area? 10 lbs. boost isn't anything. also do you have a boost retard? just trying to help.
i,d also look at spraying with alcohol in frt. of supercharger even if afr. is good, cools intake charge to eliminate detonation. The 1008 has a fire ring around cyl. .
10lbs of boost on 10.5:1 compression on pump gas is a whole lot more than what you are saying.
@Toluene56 are you showing any signs of detonation on the plugs? I bet it’s rattling and pushing out the gasket.

1008s are junk. You need mls gaskets.

10lbs of boost on 10.5:1 compression on pump gas is a whole lot more than what you are saying.
@Toluene56 are you showing any signs of detonation on the plugs? I bet it’s rattling and pushing out the gasket.
Nope.. plugs look perfect, no speckling or anything. I know the heads are damaged from the first detonation I had with high compression. I have a machinist straight edge, block looked fine, but the heads did get a little torched. I figured this was going to happen, but it got me through the major events.

I think the rattling sounds plausible, it only happens with a full 1/4mile pull. So I'm also looking at an intercooler setup. Probably a2w for packaging.

Plugs look fine, pistons still look fine no pitting or anything showing detonation or extreme heat.... headgasket started to push... maybe it's just not enough. ‍

20220819_200531.jpg

Yea you need good gaskets. The 1008s with 4 head bolts just won’t cut it.

normally copper gaskets require o-ringing the deck. They’re also not great for street use. I’d recommend a pair of cometic.
..... these don't require o ring.. they have a fire ring built in and seals around the water ports.

I had cometics. They torched during the high compression setup. They're backordered for months. So whenever they're readily available again I'll order some and keep them on a shelf.

..... these don't require o ring.. they have a fire ring built in and seals around the water ports.

I had cometics. They torched during the high compression setup. They're backordered for months. So whenever they're readily available again I'll order some and keep them on a shelf.

The .039 cometics are in stock at summit. I ordered and received a pair last week. However I do believe the titans to be stronger so you’re likely on the road to success! Still surprised to see the 1008’s all pushed out that way. I assume you’re having the heads resurfaced also? Head studs?

The .039 cometics are in stock at summit. I ordered and received a pair last week. However I do believe the titans to be stronger so you’re likely on the road to success! Still surprised to see the 1008’s all pushed out that way. I assume you’re having the heads resurfaced also? Head studs?
They don't have any cometics available. I live down the road from a summit racing. Everything says Nov 17. Doesn't mean it wouldn't be quicker, sometimes they exaggerate the lead times.
Yes it has headstuds. If the machine shops can do a basic resurface in a reasonable time frame. But so far everyone says they're months out and to be honest I don't trust any of the machine shops in my area. But I'm still not putting them back without being surfaced.

Might have to go on a road trip.

They don't have any cometics available. I live down the road from a summit racing. Everything says Nov 17. Doesn't mean it wouldn't be quicker, sometimes they exaggerate the lead times.
Yes it has headstuds. If the machine shops can do a basic resurface in a reasonable time frame. But so far everyone says they're months out and to be honest I don't trust any of the machine shops in my area. But I'm still not putting them back without being surfaced.

Might have to go on a road trip.

Wow you’re right. Just checked and the gaskets I ordered are out of stock. I guess I got lucky! Maybe you can ship those heads out to a trustworthy shop?

Wow you’re right. Just checked and the gaskets I ordered are out of stock. I guess I got lucky! Maybe you can ship those heads out to a trustworthy shop?
Yea. I'll make some calls and see what can be done or what's available.

Engine is back together. Had the heads surfaced locally, luckily they did well. Checked the deck surface and cleaned meticulously.
Added some sce titan ics copper gaskets.
Retorqued the heads after initial heat cycle and added water. No water leaks (thank god).
First drives show the car back to normal, no weird overheating or anything.
I was able to make it to the last track day of the year, this time on e85. Now I know the problems with this e85 carb. I should have it dialed by spring. Maybe earlier if I'm lucky and take it down the sea level, that would be fun.
20220830_162530.jpg
20220901_154806.jpg

-
Back