torque converter how to order

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
63 dart 360/904 dirt track stock car. I want better than the OE unit in there now. How should I go about ordering one? Idle rpm? RPM coming off the corners or? thank you for your time. and what company would you suggest I deal with? RR

Call Hughes and tell them exactly about your set up and expectations and they will recommend the best fit.

then call the maker of one or two more and do the same. See if they are all similar, then choose the manufacturer of the one you like the sounds of best and also dependant upon availability and get it.

find the cheapest retailer with good or free delivery which is often not the maker of the product itself.

63 dart 360/904 dirt track stock car. I want better than the OE unit in there now. How should I go about ordering one? Idle rpm? RPM coming off the corners or? thank you for your time. and what company would you suggest I deal with? RR
Call several and over the phone describe your setup and desired outcome

Precision of New Hampton in Iowa
Biltron in New Jersey

Others will provide options I'm sure... but a conversation is the best way to go.

Milt at Precision of New Hampton.
As much info as you can provide Cam specs, or if you have a dyno sheet that shows your torque curve, gear ratio, (do you come out of a corner in 2nd or 3rd?) axle ratio, tire diameter

I’m just spit balling here as I know little about racing, and especially dirt tracking. My thoughts would mainly be fodder for more conversation or the opportunity for those who know more to inject something.
I would imagine that a high stall speed would not be as important as in a drag car because you’re already operating up in its torque region. Also, what about using a lock up converter? I’m really not sure if one could be added to a 904, or could you use a overdrive transmission (though it does add weight) or use an overdrive transmission to gain a lock up, but remove the overdrive and use a regular 904 tail shaft? I don't even know if thats possible.

Again, I’m just spit balling.

https://www.atiracing.com/links/articles/09-DRA-Lock-Up-Converters.pdf

Last edited:
Call several and over the phone describe your setup and desired outcome

Precision of New Hampton in Iowa
Biltron in New Jersey

Others will provide options I'm sure... but a conversation is the best way to go.
As much info as you can provide Cam specs, or if you have a dyno sheet that shows your torque curve, gear ratio, (do you come out of a corner in 2nd or 3rd?) axle ratio, tire diameter
I would still try Precision but I heard they aren't selling retail any more . I'm sure it's a pain selling to people that don't have a clue what's going on and when the results aren't as expected, somehow Precision has to make it right.

I would still try Precision but I heard they aren't selling retail any more . I'm sure it's a pain selling to people that don't have a clue what's going on and when the results aren't as expected, somehow Precision has to make it right.

Didn't realize that. I had a quote from them last year but ended up going in a different direction

I just got one from them 3 weeks ago. Haven't been able to put it to use yet, project back on the back burner for a bit between family and work.

Download engine building software plug in all your variables
Camshaft, compression, head CFM flow etc, the latest I've seen is the converter stalls 300 rpm past the torque peak

call FTI... explain the situation and let the pros give advice :)

I called them 2 weeks ago and they no longer sell to end users due to too many morons wrecking stuff and them having to deal with it (Really nice lady on the phone but that was the gist)

-
Back