Torque Converter or Flywheel Test and Tune stand

-

blackace

The KING of flats
Reaction score
I just put the motor on the test and tune stand today. I have a bell housing and was wondering if I could get away with bolting the torque converter to the flex plate so I could start the motor or should I use a flywheel? I have a neutral balanced flywheel that measures about 13" across. Any ideas??

Also what is the torque spec for the flex plate bolts?

Bad idea to use an unsupported torque convertor for start up.

Get a flywheel

It's supported by the flexplate?

It's not on the snout which is the most important area to support. It's a lot of weight to be hung externally, then spun up to whatever RPM.

It will most likely crack or break the flexplate

It's supported by the flexplate?
True, but it also supported by the tranmission input shaft and bearing/race/whatever. Ever notice inside the TQ that the part the trans input shaft goes in to moves side to side a bit? You don't want that moving around when the engine is running!

I'm doing the same when I get my new engine done and am using a flywheel cause like CB said the TC isn't supported correctly. I'd also think it'd be out of balance since the internals aren't properly centered because it's not engaged onto the trans. input shaft and pump.

Since you have the flywheel why not use it?

I'm doing the same when I get my new engine done and am using a flywheel cause like CB said the TC isn't supported correctly. I'd also think it'd be out of balance since the internals aren't properly centered because it's not engaged onto the trans. input shaft and pump.

Since you have the flywheel why not use it?

True! But instead of removing the flexplate I was thinking why not just bolt the TQ on and see if that would work.

I guess then I will use the flywheel! I don't want to damage anything and spend more $$$$ than I have to.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could also just cut the convertor up and use the rear plate with the ring gear and nothing else. Me, I use a flywheel...lol

You could also just cut the convertor up and use the rear plate with the ring gear and nothing else. Me, I use a flywheel...lol

That was my other thought, cut the convertor from the ring gear plate. Chuck it up in a lathe and cut away.

Some of us don't have access to a lathe anymore... :(

-
Back