Torque Converter

-

bobscuda67

Reaction score
I have an 11 inch converter in my car and I am really not happy with it. It functions just fine but
it's is not a high performance type of converter. Stall is 1600 to 2200 ACC 11 inch unit. It wasn't expensive and I've had it for 10 years with no problems at all.
I e-mailed the ACC guys and they said they could restall it for me for a minimal amount of money as they don't recommend a 10 inch for my combo. I also contacted Lenny and he called here today while I was working so I'll give him a call to see what he says too.
Is it ok to restall a converter? How is it done?

Is it ok to restall a converter? How is it done?

they cut it open and change whatever the hell they change and weld it back together.. its fine to have one re-stalled as long as the company knows what they are doing..

i'd call dynamic,ultimate and ptc and see what they have to offer before sending yours out. i just picked up a 9.5" from dynamic for our dart build. don't know what your combo is though.

they cut it open and change whatever the hell they change and weld it back together.. its fine to have one re-stalled as long as the company knows what they are doing..

i'd call dynamic,ultimate and ptc and see what they have to offer before sending yours out. i just picked up a 9.5" from dynamic for our dart build. don't know what your combo is though.
Exactly! I had my wife's '66 OE converter taken apart and redone. Spent some good money. Had it done pretty tight. 2500, anti ballooning plate, etc....
The converter is good till 650hp.

That should keep the wife happy for a little while at least. Then I can get back to my stuff again.

Restalling a converter is no big deal, it's been done many, many times by converter rebuilders. You say that ACC says a 10" converter is wrong for your application, and if they have the information on your engine/diff ratio/tire size, they would know what is going to be the best stall. You might want to check with a couple of converter suppliers, give them all the information on your combo and see what they recommend.

Restall a convertor by bending the outermost ring of blades. Straighten them out incresses stall,more bend lowers it. Only the end of the blade is bent. Where it isnt welded. And if its welded all the way,well it cant be restalled easily.

QUOTE="AJ/FormS, post: 1971353118, member: 33537"]1600 to 2200 is a pretty wide window. How are you measuring that?[/QUOTE]
1600 - stock 318
2200 - 408 with a 340 cam
:rofl:

Give your build info to paul at turbo action.I went to a 10 inch from a 11 inch felt like i gained a 100 hp.He can tell you what you need.He is a very nice person to deal with

I sent Lenny my detailed specs for my car and he called here, so I have to return his call.

QUOTE="AJ/FormS, post: 1971353118, member: 33537"]1600 to 2200 is a pretty wide window. How are you measuring that?
1600 - stock 318
2200 - 408 with a 340 cam
:rofl:[/QUOTE]

That's the rating from the ACC's catalog.

So, I get that TCs stall differently,in response to different input.
I read your initial post, that the TC was stalling at "1600 to 2200" in the same engine, under different circumstances, and was wondering how such a thing could happen.

I was told to power brake it to see what the stall speed is. just a short burst without braking the tires loose if possible.
At the time I had a full manual valve body so I just put it in 3rd.
not sure if its the correct way of doing it.

-
Back