torque steer

-

hotrodvince

Reaction score
I have a 68 barracuda. I put in rubber motor mounts and tied unibody. It has 402 stroked 360. I step on gas and car goes right and i have to correct with steering wheel. Didn't do this when it had solid motor mounts and no ties. Please help very dangerous.

change your screenname to toyotavince and get a prius instead?

what your complaining about is just part of hotrodding

but a little more info
is this from a dead stop?
open or closed rear end?

i would start by checking the alignment of the car

maybe swap the rear tires from left to right

make sure tire pressure is good

Shocks,sagged or broken leaf springs,whopped out leaf spring bushings or loose u-bolts.

[QUOTE="Tooljunkie, post: 1971787149, member:
Rear springs tight, bushings good ubolts tight. From dead start , hitting second gear ,any moderate acceleration.Just had 4 wheel alignment

I have a 68 barracuda. I put in rubber motor mounts and tied unibody. It has 402 stroked 360. I step on gas and car goes right and i have to correct with steering wheel. Didn't do this when it had solid motor mounts and no ties. Please help very dangerous.

Did it have the 402 when you had solid mounts and no ties?

Are those two things the only change?

under power it pulls, but when you lift does it straighten back out?

I don't know. If it were me, I'd be checking to find something broken, not limited to

cracked spring leaf, broken spring centering bolt, and would "suspect" the numbers from this 4 wheel alignment.

CHECK YOUR TIRES pressure LOL

A cheap way to see about spring loading would be to --even if temporary--- buy rear air shocks with individual fillers, this would allow you to play with loading on each side

Who did the work on tying the sub-frames together ? Have they done this type of work before ? You need someone to watch and video if possible the car from the roadside view. Why stiffen the chassis and then put rubber mounts on the engine ? Did you put a rubber trans mount in it too? Stick or a/t ? As asked before, what is the rest of the story ? Tires size, air pressure, wheel type, shock type, torsion bar size, stock rear suspension or modified ??? My crystal ball doesn't work.

Last edited:
Who did the work on tying the sub-frames together ? Have they done this type of work before ? You need someone to watch and video if possible the car from the roadside view. Why stiffen the chassis and then put rubber mounts on the engine ? Did you put a rubber trans mount in it too? Stick or a/t ? As asked before, what is the rest of the story ? Tires size, air pressure, whell type, shock type, torsion bar size, stock rear suspension or modified ??? My crystal ball doesn't work.
-------------------RIGHT REAR SPRING IS TOO WEAK !-----------------

[I don't have specs
If they didn't give them to you go back and get them. It's not uncommon for the rear axle to not be square in these cars and thrust angle and other alignment numbers are important when trying to diagnose driveability issues. You asked a question. more info is needed and you should be more forthcoming with the info. my money is on the car not being square or a weak spring somewhere.

Sorry,just frustrated. I think this is my fault. I put in bolt in subframe ties. I made sure car was level drilled into front and rear subframe and tightened. Before I did these changes car launched straight. Changed motor mounts to lessen vibration with solid ones. Trans had rubber ones already installed.,rear springs are new.Kyb shocks. 727 auto,83/4 rar w/355 posi gears, 18x 9.5 rear wheels,17x7 front,4 wheel manual discs and and manual steering. I bet I misaligned subframe when I tightened all the bolts. I will remove and see if steering changes. (thoughts on this) I did same on my 67 nova,but never reacted like the barracuda.Thanks everyone

My personal "jump" to thoughts is you are on the wrong track. I don't see a subframe change........without actually "warping" the car......making such a dramatic handling change

My guess would be, did you have the car on jackstands on the suspension when you installed the frame connectors? If you have the car on Jack stands on the sub frames, it will not be in the position that the car rides down the road.

My guess would be, did you have the car on jackstands on the suspension when you installed the frame connectors? If you have the car on Jack stands on the sub frames, it will not be in the position that the car rides down the road.

I don't care.........I'm saying stuff like this should NOT make such a dramatic change from "launched straight" to "darn near dangerous"

I don't care.........I'm saying stuff like this should NOT make such a dramatic change from "launched straight" to "darn near dangerous"
Well, you would hope not. But you usually need to go back to the last change made. Could also be a bad alignment. I can't seem to find any shops around here that know how to do it.

The subframe was removed and reinstalled after the alignment? Unclear. Describe very dangerous. To me very dangerous is something that can put you in the next lane over in the blink of an eye like a bumpsteer issue.

Last edited:
Pulls under power and no alignment specs? Gonna be hard to figure that out if you can't rule out the alignment.

I'm with Del otherwise though, sounds like something's busted in the suspension somewhere. That's not the engine mounts, and you'd literally have to try and screw up the chassis to tweak it with the subframe connectors. I've seen fully welded subframes installed with the car upside down on a rotisserie, sideways on a rotisserie, you name it. And then put back together and sent down the road without any issues. I have yet to see a single post about someone with a bent chassis on one of these cars because of subframe connectors regardless of how they were installed. I'm sure it's physically possible, but like I said, I almost think you'd have to try and do it.

A set of bolt in connectors isn't going to do that period, unless maybe one of them has pulled out already and you're launching with one. Something else is going on.

Torque steer is a phenomenon found in higher powered fwd vehicles! What you're experiencing definitely sounds like a chassis/suspension problem.

Last edited:
sounds like rearend shifting on the leafs on one side, or shot leafspring bushing

-
Back