Torque Strap install

-

Muswagon

Reaction score
I am putting the Schumacher torque strap kit on my 71.

I really wish I had thought about this when the engine was out..... anyway....

When I hold the plate where it needs to be, it does not sit very well in that area.

I am wondering if this is a 72 and older A body K member thing? Seems there is more meat on the B/E k's and the 73 and up already have the needed holes for the sway bar mounts.

Thoughts? Experiences with this?

'71 what? No offense but you have it in front of you and you can't figure it out. Imagine the degree of difficulty for those of us without some pictures of your dilemma. Were there no instructions or is it used?

No offence but you continue to be an azz anyway, I’ve noticed the trend with this forum that the first reply is someone who just can’t wait to share their bad day with me.

It’s a 71 Duster with a 440. Would have thought that being an A body forum just 71 would be enough, but point taken. I’m sure it wouldn’t have mattered you still would have been a dick.

It’s brand new, it does not sit flat as it should. I asked the Schumacher guy and he said it’s normal until it’s bolted down…. and weirdly enough he didn’t insult me at all.

There is no reason to act like Chevy guys on here

I don’t think the pre 73 Dusters came with sway bar mounts. I know my 70 didn’t. I have a QA1 kmember now and just have a chain going to one of the sway bar bolts.
This picture was taken before I got the sway bar, I had to use a jam nut to hold the sway bar bracket. Also, not all 440s have a threaded hole on the boss where the chain is attached
BFF0CA1D-E3C6-4F60-BD9C-526B0F813806.jpeg

sorry was trying to convey that there is not as much mounting area on my K member as there would be on a 73 and up…

My 440 does have the needed boss so that saves some hassle as well..

The guy at Schumacher told me not to be concerned how it sits before being bolted down, so gonna mark and drill this evening and see how it turns out

'71 what? No offense but you have it in front of you and you can't figure it out. Imagine the degree of difficulty for those of us without some pictures of your dilemma. Were there no instructions or is it used?
No offence but you continue to be an azz anyway, I’ve noticed the trend with this forum that the first reply is someone who just can’t wait to share their bad day with me.

It’s a 71 Duster with a 440. Would have thought that being an A body forum just 71 would be enough, but point taken. I’m sure it wouldn’t have mattered you still would have been a dick.

It’s brand new, it does not sit flat as it should. I asked the Schumacher guy and he said it’s normal until it’s bolted down…. and weirdly enough he didn’t insult me at all.

There is no reason to act like Chevy guys on here
Get over yourself tough guy. You ever think you might be the real dick here?

I realize it's not much help now since you've already purchased a torque strap, but it's very easy with biscuit mounts. Simply drill through the driver's side mount and use a countersunk 3/8" bolt through the whole "sandwich" with a nylock nut on the top side. Only a keen eye would spot it and it acts just like a more obtrusive torque limiter or strap.

Just finished installing, but that’s a great idea too.. however, my biggest fear is how little k member is left in the drivers side mount area after you modify for the 440 oil pump, so I think this will help. That motor does t move at all now, kinda crazy what a little side help will do

Just finished installing, but that’s a great idea too.. however, my biggest fear is how little k member is left in the drivers side mount area after you modify for the 440 oil pump, so I think this will help. That motor does t move at all now, kinda crazy what a little side help will do
How about a picture

i made a torque 'bar/tube' for the 383 i sat in my 68 valiant. poly bushed both ends and simple brackets on the k member and block.
neil.

View attachment 1716119463
That's a great idea, I need to do something like that also, I'm using a engine plate but need that so my engine and transmission won't move forward or rearward

I just through bolted my original 383 DS mount in 1984 with a grade 8 bolt right in the center. Never have had an issue!

That's a great idea, I need to do something like that also, I'm using a engine plate but need that so my engine and transmission won't move forward or rearward

If you have the stock trans mount, I think you'll find the rear mount is captured in the x-member .
Discovered that when my son's fan clutch about 1/4 inch from the rad . He's a spirited driver, hasn't tagged the core in 8 yrs.

Here is a pic of the Schumacher torque strap kit on my '68 Dart 383, but a '74 K-member. I welded and bolted it. The bolts also attached the Firm Feel sway bar bracket which give it additional strength.

Dart Torque strap1.jpg

-
Back