Torsion bar problem

-

Skeeter007

Skeeter007
Reaction score
Hopping some folks can chime in here and give me some advise and direction. I noticed the car leaning slightly towards the front passenger side. I looked under the car and noticed the car was laying on the bump stops. Are my bars worn out? Could she be twisted from an accident and it’s causing it to lean to one side? I’m hoping it’s just bars. Or is this a normal occurrence when it’s time to swap out the bars?

Thanks

C7345814-C35C-40CB-A15C-BA75B01B95A2.jpeg

5F5AE8CB-1191-4F2A-AC3D-FA070D66441B.jpeg

Check the crossmember where the back of the bars go into the frame. Look for rust or broken welds on the socket that the bar goes in. Look at the T-bar adjusters and see if they are adjusted about the same amount on both sides. If its sitting on the bump stop you probably have a more serious issue than just adjustment.

Check the welds on the torsion bar socket on the crossmember They have been known to break and spin in the crossmember. I was a bit late on the reply:lol:

Also check the pin mount in the K-Frame for breakage.

Thanks for all the input. I’ll try and get it in the air tomorrow and take some photos.

I’ll check the t-bar adjusters and see if there’s any adjustments done. Would that be nice if they weren’t ;-)

this cross member talk sound expensive.

1969383S where is the pin mount. I’m new to this suspension talk.

That is were the pin from the LCA goes into the k. If the pin sleeve is broke loose in the K it can exhibit a similar issue.

In either case you will likely see the welds broke loose on the crossmember anchor Or the k frame pin boss.

You sound surprised. Is this a new car for you ? Or you have had it a while and didn't notice the lean ? What is the rest of the story? Torsion bar adjustments are simple and the same for any 60's - 70's Mopar The factory service manual shows how to properly adjust the bars and will have the correct ride height specs for it as well.

Also inspect the bushing that the pin is pressed into if they are broke down it will cause the exact issue you have

I had torsion bar socket/crossmember let go on me on my duster. Scared the **** outta me sounded like a gun going off!
Hope it's an ez fix Brandon, good luck.

You sound surprised. Is this a new car for you ? Or you have had it a while and didn't notice the lean ? What is the rest of the story? Torsion bar adjustments are simple and the same for any 60's - 70's Mopar The factory service manual shows how to properly adjust the bars and will have the correct ride height specs for it as well.

I’ve had the car for a bit and yes I’m surprised. Not sure why I didn’t notice it before. But here we are and it’s time to correct it. Maybe there is a HDK kit in the future now.

The torsion bar adjusting bolt head is visible on the driver's side and not on the passenger's side. That tells me the passenger's side has been adjusted and that bar is probably weak. What I would do is get under there and inspect everything. The LCA pins and bushings, the torsion bar anchors in the cross member. Look for any cracks or tears in the metal. If it looks good, sling some new bars in it.

Looks like ballpoint and tie rod could use some grease also. As mentioned look for tears in metal where torsion bar meets crossmember.

Ok guys she’s up in the air and I took some photos. Everything looks like it should with the exception of one of the bushings on the passenger side LCA pin. Looks impacted.
Also the UCA bushings look warn and is probably causing a few noises. No rust on the torsion bar cross member. Just rust coat peeling off. Looks clean. I’m starting to wonder if these to possibilities are in play. 1 Rusty nailed it with weak bars. 2 I’m told that they could be clocked wrong? But that’s up to the experts to chime in.
1/2

5C172F7E-D604-45B6-80A2-0F0EA523AA93.jpeg

B5BFEC23-5A1D-4432-9C43-0275B1EB52BC.jpeg

EB3E3C22-8585-4B16-9EF6-CAACFE4B18EA.jpeg

21B9BB9A-204D-4A67-881C-DAF3C326A4CD.jpeg

36284DD2-BC53-480E-9D08-6CDC1177746A.jpeg

47042E1B-AB1D-4D6B-8F51-03DA242F0A82.jpeg

008E0E9B-9478-43A1-8939-0494202E5DA8.jpeg

921D0CDB-B386-4D3B-AC82-9652E1E8E67B.jpeg

83CB8830-D890-43BE-A438-26C3B1344365.jpeg

86663614-A44E-488E-9D61-5167CAD075C0.jpeg

Last edited:
Based on the pictures I'd say

-Torsion bar anchors and crossmember are fine
-LCA bushings are on their way out as are most of the other suspension bushings
-Ball joints and tie rod ends are probably worn out
-Torsion bars are worn out, the yellow paint also indicates they're .83" /6 bars so small to begin with
-The car has been riding on the lower bump stops for a LONG time

The whole "bars clocked wrong" thing is pretty hard to do with stock bars, that's not the issue here. You just have original /6 bars that are tired. You do have more adjustment available on the torsion bar adjusters, so you could crank those bolts in and probably raise the car up off the bump stops for a little while. But those are only 100 lb/in torsion bars. You could double the rate and still have a pretty soft ride. I'd say it's time to rebuild the front suspension and buy some new torsion bars.

Based on the pictures I'd say

-Torsion bar anchors and crossmember are fine
-LCA bushings are on their way out as are most of the other suspension bushings
-Ball joints and tie rod ends are probably worn out
-Torsion bars are worn out, the yellow paint also indicates they're .83" /6 bars so small to begin with
-The car has been riding on the lower bump stops for a LONG time

The whole "bars clocked wrong" thing is pretty hard to do with stock bars, that's not the issue here. You just have original /6 bars that are tired. You do have more adjustment available on the torsion bar adjusters, so you could crank those bolts in and probably raise the car up off the bump stops for a little while. But those are only 100 lb/in torsion bars. You could double the rate and still have a pretty soft ride. I'd say it's time to rebuild the front suspension and buy some new torsion bars.

Ok thanks. That’s great news. I’ll get a set of bars. Any suggestions?

PST's 1.03" bars are pretty popular. It depends on what you're doing with the car and what kind of ride quality you're looking for. Personally I wouldn't ever run anything smaller than PST's 1.03" bars, but I set my cars up for pretty aggressive handling and don't mind if they ride a little stiffer.

For a regular street car and improved handling over stock though the 1.03's are hard to beat. With a good set of shocks, like the RCD bilsteins, the ride will not be harsh and you won't be constantly bashing your bump stops like you are now. With as hard as your car has been riding the bump stops, you may even find the ride softer with the 1.03's than with those wiped out /6 bars because your bump stops are basically your suspension at the moment.

PST's 1.03" bars are pretty popular. It depends on what you're doing with the car and what kind of ride quality you're looking for. Personally I wouldn't ever run anything smaller than PST's 1.03" bars, but I set my cars up for pretty aggressive handling and don't mind if they ride a little stiffer.

For a regular street car and improved handling over stock though the 1.03's are hard to beat. With a good set of shocks, like the RCD bilsteins, the ride will not be harsh and you won't be constantly bashing your bump stops like you are now. With as hard as your car has been riding the bump stops, you may even find the ride softer with the 1.03's than with those wiped out /6 bars because your bump stops are basically your suspension at the moment.

I have these available in my area. Would you consider these? Not as heavy as you mentioned but at $250.00 cad very affordable.

Mopar Performance A body .920 torsion bars very little use $250

I have these available in my area. Would you consider these? Not as heavy as you mentioned but at $250.00 cad very affordable.

Mopar Performance A body .920 torsion bars very little use $250

Depends on the bars, my idea of "very little use" and the seller's idea of "very little use" could be quite different. I'd have to inspect them before I put any money toward them, any big nicks or dings and I wouldn't use them. If they are in good shape it's not a terrible deal if you plan for the car is just street driving. Not sure what engine you currently have either, for a small block and mild use those would be fine. For a big block I'd want bigger, but that's just me.

I don't know about getting the PST bars in Canada, but they're $249 US before the FABO members discount. And that's a brand new bar, so no damage or wear to worry about.

Depends on the bars, my idea of "very little use" and the seller's idea of "very little use" could be quite different. I'd have to inspect them before I put any money toward them, any big nicks or dings and I wouldn't use them. If they are in good shape it's not a terrible deal if you plan for the car is just street driving. Not sure what engine you currently have either, for a small block and mild use those would be fine. For a big block I'd want bigger, but that's just me.

I don't know about getting the PST bars in Canada, but they're $249 US before the FABO members discount. And that's a brand new bar, so no damage or wear to worry about.

Ok thanks for your input. I’ll ask the seller the condition and plan from there.
Thanks everyone.

-
Back