Torsion bar question

-

Yote

Reaction score
Re: 72 demon
Are there any indicators or signs that torsion bars need replaced or are they ( forever) as long as adjustment is still available? Probably sounds like a dumb question to those who know, but I don't. Any information would be appreciated . I believe mine are origional.
Yote

T-bars go for thousands and thousands and thousands of miles and decades and decades and decades.Until they get nicked or they are stressed sideways from a worn out LCA bushing.Small nicks can be sanded, smoothed, and polished, out.
I have had one sag a bit on me, but it kept going for many years. Then, one morning I came out and huh,there sat my Dart, all crooked and sad looking.

PO drag raced the car a lot ( I believe). I adjusted the right side up a lot, it's still low. Still adjustment left. Not sure when to call it good.
Yote

PO drag raced the car a lot ( I believe). I adjusted the right side up a lot, it's still low. Still adjustment left. Not sure when to call it good.
Yote

Well if he dragged it a lot, it's possible he has slant 6 bars in it as well. What engine is in it currently

torsion bars are essentially a straight line spring and as such can eventually "sag out" or loose some of their "spring". Factors such as close proximity to headers(heat source) and other ways such as being on the curb side (the pothole side) all factor in. And yep , a worn LCA will contribute too. So you can adjust them and have them sag again. During the "off season" .you can jack your car up and put stands under the frame rails and that will slow it down, but some say that will sag the unibody( a none-issue with frame connectors). Bigger diameter bars will tend to sag less unless of course you have an iron big block over the front wheels! Years ago when I changed the bars in my Dad's Dart ,we went to the slightly bigger bars and it's been 15 years now and it's time to change them(at least the right side). Of course this car was a daily NORTHERN driver and saw a lot of hard miles..............

when I had my bars out rebuilding the front end I noticed they both had a gentle bend in them so I decided to change them out, not sure if the curve was from a poor QA at the factory or an over the time thing

Here's some info re the various diameters, etc.

Attachments

• Torsion Bar Specs.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 260
If you set the ride height and it's down again as soon as you drive it you have slightly too much toe-in, not worn out bars.

If you set the ride height and it's down again as soon as you drive it you have slightly too much toe-in, not worn out bars.

This, essentially, is "it" unless you are unhappy with handling, and want stiffer ones.

I'm curious about that. I can see how adjusting ride height could affect the rest of your alignment, but why would excessive toe-in cause the ride height to drop back down after driving?

if your bars are original i would change them.Original bars even in good shape (or new)
will be "oozy" compared to a modern car.
They were badly under sprung from the factory.Push them at all at highway speed on
a large bend and you may wander right off the road.
..best $200 bucks you'll spend

if your bars are original i would change them.Original bars even in good shape (or new)
will be "oozy" compared to a modern car.
They were badly under sprung from the factory.Push them at all at highway speed on
a large bend and you may wander right off the road.
..best $200 bucks you'll spend

This^^^^

Check the bar #s or measure diameter.
Car may have a stiffer bar on driver side to help rear tire plant on launch.

Re: 72 demon
Are there any indicators or signs that torsion bars need replaced......

LOL, The one sure fire indication of torsion bar needing replacement is when a bar snaps and one side of your car drops to the control LCL bump stop in a heartbeat. The right turns on the drive home tend to be pretty wide btw.

I'm curious about that. I can see how adjusting ride height could affect the rest of your alignment, but why would excessive toe-in cause the ride height to drop back down after driving?

I'm not completely sure why, but I have seen it (after having it described to me and not believing it). My son's Barracuda did this before an autocross. A slight adjustment to the toe fixed it.

-
Back