Torsion Bar Retaining Clips

-

TheContractorDude

Reaction score
Wanted to throw this out there to see what others would do in this situation. RH side rear torsion bar socket will accept the retaining clip
ca_gojZEQh1WSkgAWm8UjVnA=w576-h768-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

However LH side looks like someone hammered and mushroomed the groove that retains the clip. Not sure how to fix this.
1681490675635.jpeg

Thanks!

I would try some heat and work it around with a small sharp cold chisel. Are looking to remove the torsion bar?

Wanted to throw this out there to see what others would do in this situation. RH side rear torsion bar socket will accept the retaining clip
View attachment 1716077648
However LH side looks like someone hammered and mushroomed the groove that retains the clip. Not sure how to fix this.
View attachment 1716077647
Thanks!

I think I would make a groove with my moto tool and a cutting wheel.
It would take some patience, but should do it.

1. Get another receiver and have it welded into the cross member

Screenshot_20230414-113943.png

1. Grind the end flat, maybe a few thousandths below the OEM clip slots. Cut a piece off of a good one and butt weld the two pieces together.
Screenshot_20230414-114018.png

1. Drill a hole through the remaning receiver and put a roll pin in it.

(Obviously don't go through the tortion bar and keep it away from the tortion bar enough to mimic the amount of distance the origional clip had to the end of the t bar)

Screenshot_20230414-113126.png

I think I would make a groove with my moto tool and a cutting wheel.
It would take some patience, but should do it.
Yup. ^^^This, provided the hex isn't also so distorted as to hinder removal of the torsion bar. Clean it up really good, get all the grease and crud out of there, and spend some quality time with your Dremel and a small cutoff wheel nursing the groove back into shape. Then clean it up again, getting all the grinding dust out of there; grease it up and slam the t-bar home. Clip it and don't give it another thought.

Without a proper groove, the clip won't retain the torsion bar and therefor useless. Either fix the groove slot, replace the socket, or just weld a strap across the end with maybe a threaded bolt in the middle to limit how far the torsion bar would be allowed to move. Most of the time the bar won't migrate anyway, but, you just want to make sure it doesn't pop out.

-
Back