Torsion bar Warning

-
I forget the procedure but the anchor has to be put it in a specific way to the arms socket at ride hieght or you won't be able to use the adjustment at the arm

stiffer torsion bar = more "impulse" at the torsion bar anchor. Think of the good old palm tree scenario: Thin palm tree bends and rarely breaks, rigid tree will break at the trunk or pull the ground up around it if it HAS to bend. Same as a torsion bar (or an unwound spring, or even an axle that doesnt have a taper to it) if it is so thick as not to twist (or bend or give) ALL the torsional force will be directed to the anchor socket (none will be absorbed in the twist resistant heavy torsion bar) ONE of them is going to give, either the torsion bar in a "wind up" twist, or the socket spinning in the channel..not good unless your socket is beefed up. Those plates look like a very good idea, im going to hit them with my MIG next time Im under there myself.

I hear what your sayin but, for the stiffer spring to compress the same amount as the light spring requires more pressure, i.e. weight in this case.
that t-bar socket was compromised somehow whether it be crappy build from the factory, somehow hammered in its previous life (think Dukes of Hazzard), plain old metal fatigue or something.
the bigger bars probably just made that socket fail sooner rather than later.

Not Duke boys but some punk passing and runs out of space and hits the curb at 55 and makes a passing lane on the grass on the one side-wheel of the car.

Lot of stuff could have happen since that cars been on the road, things used to be so different on the roads. Potholes don't help either

People used to fly down dirt roads as well, 80 plus

We looked at the condition of the original welds and I think the engineers had it fine considering the give (or twist amount) of a stock bar. The firmer bars (1.08) put a lot more pressure on those original engineered welds. Like I said, I hit that speed bump a little fast (15-20) wanting to see how the car would handle going that fast. Re-enforcing your firmer bars is not that much work and takes this senario out of the picture.

stiffer torsion bar = more "impulse" at the torsion bar anchor. Think of the good old palm tree scenario: Thin palm tree bends and rarely breaks, rigid tree will break at the trunk or pull the ground up around it if it HAS to bend. Same as a torsion bar (or an unwound spring, or even an axle that doesnt have a taper to it) if it is so thick as not to twist (or bend or give) ALL the torsional force will be directed to the anchor socket (none will be absorbed in the twist resistant heavy torsion bar) ONE of them is going to give, either the torsion bar in a "wind up" twist, or the socket spinning in the channel..not good unless your socket is beefed up. Those plates look like a very good idea, im going to hit them with my MIG next time Im under there myself.

Exactly, and good Idea.

We looked at the condition of the original welds and I think the engineers had it fine considering the give (or twist amount) of a stock bar. The firmer bars (1.08) put a lot more pressure on those original engineered welds. Like I said, I hit that speed bump a little fast (15-20) wanting to see how the car would handle going that fast. Re-enforcing your firmer bars is not that much work and takes this senario out of the picture.

Very true.

But I think production tolerances and variables put your car on the weak end of the spectrum..

I've bent a steel rim and bulged up the shock tower hole, with .99" bars when I went off course once at Willow Springs.

I few years later with 1.14" t-bars, I hit these "speed bumps" at 60-70 mph! (fast foward to 1:40 minute mark)

[ame="http://youtu.be/XJW-YvipFYE"]302 Found[/ame]

Both those wacks at and others over the years and the T-bar ancors are fine. Maybe I'm on the lucky end of the production tolerance zone.

Very true.

But I think production tolerances and variables put your car on the weak end of the spectrum..

I've bent a steel rim and bulged up the shock tower hole, with .99" bars when I went off course once at Willow Springs.

I few years later with 1.14" t-bars, I hit these "speed bumps" at 60-70 mph! (fast foward to 1:40 minute mark)

302 Found

Both those wacks at and others over the years and the T-bar ancors are fine. Maybe I'm on the lucky end of the production tolerance zone.
the bumps I hit were quite a bit bigger.

the bumps I hit were quite a bit bigger.

When I hit the hill (not instance in the video) it bent steel rim at the core and bottomed out the shock, and bend the shock tower up.

California Dart, did you bend the rim or any suspension pieces when you hit the bumps you hit?

OK so far with no problems. I was sitting at a light with a dual left turn onto the freeway on ramp. Took my kid for a ride and hit a corner at 30mph and the car squated and hugged the turn like a slot car. My kid could not believe how this tank dusted the rice rocket next to us and neither could the dude driving the rice rocket. I was on the outside lane and still dusted him.

-
Back