Torsion bars and exhaust heat.

-

1968FormulaS340

Reaction score
My left side torsion bar, in my opinion, is failing. It could just be old. Front left corner has slowly sunk over the years and I have ran out of adjustment on the bolt.

I have no failure of the mounting points. My exhaust does run very close to the left torsion bar, about 3/8" clearance (tti off the manifold system). This causes an isolated heat effected area.

Does anyone believe the heat could be an issue?

Good question.... Any chance,it was mis indexed or heated, before you had this issue?

No, not really as it would have to get pretty damn hot to start taking the temper out of the steel.
My car had that problem with both bars when it had the factory single pipe.

< my 67 had the same issue and ended up replacing them. I have 2 sets of bars,888/889 and 890/891 if you need some

Unless the torsion bar is getting to the point where it's glowing red, the heat isn't the problem.

I think in theory the only thing that wears a spring out is severe heat, rust, or an impact (like peaning it with a hammer or other impact/accident which alters the mass.

Steel can be soft at 538°C (1,000°F). Id say there would be alot more issues such as the control arm bushings starting to soften due to heat transfer from the torsion bars

Or the upper bushings or a sticky shock, or the one I often see is a weak rear spring

I can rule out the rear springs, I replaced those a few years ago with new Mopar XHD units. But I didn't think about the other two suggestions. I will check those out, thanks.

I can rule out the rear springs, I replaced those a few years ago with new Mopar XHD units. But I didn't think about the other two suggestions. I will check those out, thanks.

You'd like to think that, but the Mopar XHD's have been known to sag like crazy since manufacturing moved to Mexico. The set I put on my challenger went from a little higher than stock height to lowering springs in about a year.

I'd check all the other suggestions as well, but I don't think you can rule out those springs without actually checking them.

You'd like to think that, but the Mopar XHD's have been known to sag like crazy since manufacturing moved to Mexico. The set I put on my challenger went from a little higher than stock height to lowering springs in about a year.

I'd check all the other suggestions as well, but I don't think you can rule out those springs without actually checking them.
Will do.

Put a jack centered under the K-member of the car and see if the car still leans to one side.
If so then a rear spring is worn.

Jack up the rear under the rear axle, and see if the front is leaning.

Are these XHD springs the ones with the extra leaf on the passenger side? If so, it will tend to put more load on the left front T-bar and lead it to suffer from creep more than the right T-bar.

Plus the driver's weight being on just one side will do the same. At least in this neck of the woods, it is not uncommon to see cars of all sorts with the left front sagging.

Also, check your T-bar anchor on the left side (where the T-bar locks in the crossmember under your seat) and make sure that is not failing. Rust can get to these anchors....

Brake fluid seems to drip on and eat the drivers sides from what I’ve seen over the years. Lessen the diameter and less the rate of the bar.

Brake fluid seems to drip on and eat the drivers sides from what I’ve seen over the years. Lessen the diameter and less the rate of the bar.

If the corrosion is severe enough to be changing the diameter of the bar, the change in rate should be the absolute least of your worries.

I’ve seen the corrosion from it bad enough to cause severe pitting in that spot and break because of it. T bars are some tough MF’s.

My left side torsion bar, in my opinion, is failing. It could just be old. Front left corner has slowly sunk over the years and I have ran out of adjustment on the bolt.

I have no failure of the mounting points. My exhaust does run very close to the left torsion bar, about 3/8" clearance (tti off the manifold system). This causes an isolated heat effected area.

Does anyone believe the heat could be an issue?

You are probably just the unlucky SOB that got "that bar" that came out of the oven a little bit pre-mee. Remind me again, "how old" are these girls?

-
Back