Torsion bars with light pitting OK?

-

clinteg

Reaction score
Was wondering if torsion bars with very light pitting would be OK to use. I know that scratches and nicks are a no no. But what about pitting? It's pretty minimal but didn't know for sure.

Is it possible to post a picture of the torsion bars ? Is the pitting very deep ?

Thanks
James

Here's a couple pictures of one. As you can see they look minor but I really don't know the limit of what these should have.

That's what I needed to know. Thanks!

I think the other bar in the box had a little worse pitting but not much. I'm just getting a little over paranoid about these snapping in two!

I think the other bar in the box had a little worse pitting but not much. I'm just getting a little over paranoid about these snapping in two!

I'm sure it has happened. But in my 58 years on this earth, I have never had one snap.

Get a little paranoid about snapping your car in half with all that HP, Mr. Rollcage!!!

pitting? ha here in canada I've seen T bars with 1/8" pit marks and deeper and never seen them snap, there very high tensile steel

Any sort of change in the cross section is a failure point waiting to happen. Seems like experience has been that they're not stressed highly enough for pits that size to be an issue. I'd run them until I found something better.

I'm sure it has happened. But in my 58 years on this earth, I have never had one snap.

I just had one snap just sitting there in the yard. now I don't know if it had a scratch or nick on it since I have yet to get to that car but it sure was a surprise to me when I heard a loud noise and looked around to see what tree limb fell n my metal roof , it didn't it was the car leaning to the right.

I just had one snap just sitting there in the yard. now I don't know if it had a scratch or nick on it since I have yet to get to that car but it sure was a surprise to me when I heard a loud noise and looked around to see what tree limb fell n my metal roof , it didn't it was the car leaning to the right.

I'm sure there is more to this story?

Had the passenger side snap on a '66 Charger around '78-'79. Sounded like a m80 went off. Front end dropped right now. Scared the crap out of us. We thought it was a tire but no it was the bar. Drove it home like that. Broken edges were razor sharp as I recall.

I remember mine looked similar when i took them out over 20yrs ago, a little fresh paint, look like new and they are sill intact.

-
Back