Torsion Bars

-

cudamike13

cudamike13
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
here is the correct way to remove and install Torsion Bars:

The torsion bars are NOT interchangeable side for side. The bars are marked either right or left by an "R" or an "L" stamped on one end of the bar.

REMOVAL
(a) Remove upper control arm rebound bumper.
(b) If vehicle is to be raised on a hoist, make sure it is lifted on body so that front suspension is in full rebound (under no load). If vehicle is to be raised on jacks,placed under center of crossmember IT WILL BE NECESSARY THAT, A SUPPORT FIRST BE PLACED BETWEEN THE CROSSMEMBER AND THE JACK.
(c) Release all load from torsion bar by turning anchor adjusting bolt CCW.
(d) Remove lock ring from torsion bar rear anchor.
(e) Using tool C-3728, remove torsion bar from its anchors. It is advisable to place tool
C-3728 toward rear of bar to allow sufficient room for striking the striking pad of tool.
DO NOT APPLY HEAT TO TORSION BAR, FRONT ANCHOR OR REAR ANCHOR.
(f) Remove tool and slide rear anchor ballon seal from anchor to facilitate removal of
torsion bar.
(g) Remove torsion bar by sliding bar out through rear of anchor. Use care not to damage
ballon seal when it is removed from torsion bar.

INSPECTION
(a) Inspect ballon seal for damage and replace if necessary.
(b) Inspect torsion bar for scores and nicks. Dress down all scratches and nicks to remove
sharp edges, then paint repaired area with a goodrust preventative.
(c) Remove all foreign material from hex openings in anchors and from hex ends of bars.
(d) Inspect adjusting bolt and swivel and replace if any corrosion of other damage is noted.
Lubricate for easy operation.

INSTALLATION
(a) Insert torsion bar through rear anchor.
(b) Slide ballon seal over torsion bar (cupped end toward rear of bar).
(c) Coat both ends of torsion bar with Multi-Mileage Lubricant.
(d) Slide torsion bar into hex opening of lower control arm.
(e) Install lock ring in rear anchor.
(f) Pack the annular opening in rear anchor completely full of Multi-Mileage Lubricant.
(g) Posistion ballon seal on rear anchor so lip of seal engages with grove in anchor.
(h) Turn adjusting bolt CW to place a load on torsion bar.
(i) Lower vehicle to floor and adjust front suspension height.
(j) Install upper control arm rebound bumper and tighten nut 200 inch-pounds.

Thats it! Your done!

Cudamike13

Nice, any pictures? I am currently getting ready to do my suspension and I have the car hanging on four jack stands by the frame. Never removed or worked on the Torsion bars but since this car has been sitting since 1991 and I have the motor out - why not....... Wanna come over and help......Andy in San Diego

Nice, any pictures? I am currently getting ready to do my suspension and I have the car hanging on four jack stands by the frame. Never removed or worked on the Torsion bars but since this car has been sitting since 1991 and I have the motor out - why not....... Wanna come over and help......Andy in San Diego

I wish I could come over and help!
last time I was in San Diego, I was in the Navy.
I lived in Orange co from 66 to 75.

I haven't done mine yet either.
I have the PST kit with polygr and have cleaned and painted my UCA's and installed the new bushings.
I'm still cleaning up the donor disc gear that I bought years ago when it was supposed to go on my 66 barracuda.

It's too far for a weekend drive from here (duluth ga), and I still have a full time job that keeps me busy.

I purchased a copy of service manual for my 67 online and those words above in first post are right out of the book!
There are also links on this site to where you can download for free, as I understand it!

Attachments

• bushing install 012a.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 593
nice info but could anyone dumb it down a bit more all i want to try is adjusting t bars so what do i turn i am not clear on this and do i need a special tool other than normal stuff

nice info but could anyone dumb it down a bit more all i want to try is adjusting t bars so what do i turn i am not clear on this and do i need a special tool other than normal stuff

Look at the pic below. Loosen that bolt to lower. Tighten to raise:

Attachments

• torsion.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 545
I know that you want to remove the upper bump stop so that the lower control arm is down as far as it will go in its travel. With the adjuster backed all the way out THEN install the torsion bar. Ive done this before and there wasn't enough adjustment to support the car. I was novice about things like that back then.

Well cudamike13, based on your detailed tutorial I am going to order the parts to attempt this......I do have a 1969 service manual......anyway I can contact you on line to discuss......my hands are already bloody and raw from dismantling and degreasing the engine compartment.....hoping to do this easiest way possible...perhaps that would be taking it to a professional ;)

Thanks for the link AbodyJoe.....looks pretty straight forward.....the rear clips fell out while I inspected the rear seals after dropping the transmission out. They were a bit fragile to say the least.

Is there any specific way to remove a stuck torsion bar, or its the pipe wrench the best method? I have done this a few times, had one stuck on my Dart (hitting a curb didn't help tho) and I resorted to a pipe wrench and hammer to get it out

With all tension off, and on frame jackstands; loosen the lower control arm pivot nut, to where a hammer smacking the end won't hurt the threads. (snap ring out). As somebody pulls backwards on the bar, smack the front of the pivot; the shock will start bouncing the bar backwards.

Is there any specific way to remove a stuck torsion bar, or its the pipe wrench the best method? I have done this a few times, had one stuck on my Dart (hitting a curb didn't help tho) and I resorted to a pipe wrench and hammer to get it out

If you had the tool specified in the first post, you would be able to hammer it out.
I would imagen a pipe wrench and a hammer will really leave marks and scratches on torsion bar which then MUST be removed or bar may break!
That tool may still be available somewhere, but on another thread showing home-made tools, someone showed a piece of angle iron with two taped up U bolts to clamp on torsion bar, then you can hit angle iron with a hammer!
Should drive it out.

Mike

I went there again and was able to get a look at their kits!
Pretty good looking stuff.
Thanks again, Mike

I usually put a set of vise grips on the torsion bar and hit it with a BFH...

is the pipe wrench the best method?

Don't ever use a pipe wrench, pliers, etc on a torsion bar. It can leave deep gouges that can cause the beginnings of cracks.

I didn't buy a tool. I just use a short piece of heavy angle iron, drill it and a matching piece of strap to make a clamp, mount with the angle hanging down so you can hammer on it.

-
Back