Torsion suspension to coil suspension

-

porterracing

Reaction score
Has anyone done this? I'm looking to swap the torsion suspension in my 66 valiant station wagon to coil suspension. My main reasoning for this is I am planing to put an air ride on, which needs a coil over suspension. I was talking with a guy at a local car show and he mentioned swapping the torsion suspension with a k member from a Chevy blazer or something like that. Has anyone heard of this swap or something like it? I have seen coil over k member kits for A bodies but they all sell for around 3k-4k but I can't justify spending that and the money for disc brakes, wheels and tires, a rear end, and air suspension.... Any help would be awesome! Thanks-Zach

Has anyone done this? I'm looking to swap the torsion suspension in my 66 valiant station wagon to coil suspension. My main reasoning for this is I am planing to put an air ride on, which needs a coil over suspension. I was talking with a guy at a local car show and he mentioned swapping the torsion suspension with a k member from a Chevy blazer or something like that. Has anyone heard of this swap or something like it? I have seen coil over k member kits for A bodies but they all sell for around 3k-4k but I can't justify spending that and the money for disc brakes, wheels and tires, a rear end, and air suspension.... Any help would be awesome! Thanks-Zach
No chevy blazer K is gonna fit without some serious modifications. There was a guy on here doing a crown Vic front suspension swap but it was highly involved and I've not seen any updates to if he was successful

If you look through my 440 valiant build, I got a magnumforce coilover kit with j-bars to support the shock towers. This is fairly inexpensive and allows you to use the stock K-frame. I bet you could run shockwave style airbags instead of coilovers with that setup.

to eliminate the torsion bars there are two kits available ...maybe more...HemiDenny and Gerst Suspension ...

Home call and talk to Carl..

HemiDenny call and talk to Denny..

I have one of each kits on a Duster and Dart..

And still got a Demon to do...lol

Last edited:
Coilovers....ok, but for any kind of air ride, there just isn't enough room for the air bladder...... in my opinion.

Coilovers....ok, but for any kind of air ride, there just isn't enough room for the air bladder...... in my opinion.

Agreed. The smallest diameter bladder i am aware of is from ride tech with a 4 inch bladder. So about an inch bigger than the cool overs found in most kits. But most "budget friendly" bladders are 5-6 inches

Besides, air ride is cool and all but I think there's better options out there.

if you have a "rub" on a coil spring.....you fix it. On a air bladder, you have a blowout. Just no wiggle room in a tight space originally designed for a 1-1/4" od shock.

Last edited:
if you have a "rub" on a coil spring.....you fix it. On a air bladder, you have a blowout. Just no wiggle room in a tight space originally designed for a 1-1/4" shock.
yep, plus, i'm not sure how much a blazer k frame and suspension weighs but being it's an SUV, its gotta be a couple houndred pounds more than an A body stock setup

I did the RMS swap. It was worth it's weight in gold. I know the price tag is hefty but sell your stock stuff to buffer it. You won't regret going coil over I promise you.

I put RMS in my 67 dart love it. It drives like a brand new car. It's pretty much a bolt on kit. For the front you have to cut the bump stops off and drill 4 whole for the coil mount. I have pics on my other phone if you won't pics. Just pm me

-
Back