total timing

-
here are the spacers to adjust the advance in the MP distributors...

the numbers are how much advance it will have if set to that distance.

DSC_0005-2.jpg

Good info. It's kinda like this; put a vacuum gauge on it, advance to highest vacuum. That is what the engine want's for base. Then pull out mech advance in dist, for a total of (here we go, like an oil thread) 36, big blocks like 34. now, with vacuum advance, it will go up around 54 degrees, but no load is on the engine. Step on the gas, vacuum drops out, and timing goes down to total.

did you buy the plastic things to adjust the slots?

No. I knew I needed 15 degrees mechanical so before installing, so I held the dizzy in avice, and used a degree wheel that I printed off the internet and glued it to a piece of cardboard. Then taped a pointer to the rotor and set it to 7 1/2 degrees of distributor advance. That gave me the 15 degrees I needed.

it may be ok at 42. but thats different for every motor. just have to find out whats best for your/his particular motor.

as far as that off the shelf dist goes. you may want to play with the springs in it. get the total timing in a little earlier. may help ya out a lot.
I am now running 19 initial and 35 total seams to work real well, Is it common to have to change your idle mixture after timing change? I had too but everything seams great after test drive today.

Yes, every time you adjust the timing, it's a good practice to check everything on the carb. Timing affects carb. Carb does not affect timing.

-
Back