total timing

-

tekslk

Reaction score
I just bumped my initial timing up to 20 to stop one problem now my total is 42 will this hurt anything as long as there is no pinging. how do Iget my total back to around 36?

you need to close up the advance slots in the dist. if you still want 20* initial and 36* total.

timing1.jpg

timing2.jpg

Great article...thanks for posting it!

Question -- I always thought that more advance meant more top end and less bottom end....is that true?

Great article...thanks for posting it!

Question -- I always thought that more advance meant more top end and less bottom end....is that true?

you have it backwards.. in moderation advance is low end power, retard is top end power.

SO what is involved with "filing the slots or brazing the slots" ??

How tough is it to get "the correct yoke" ???

Any pics of this procedure??

SO what is involved with "filing the slots or brazing the slots" ??

How tough is it to get "the correct yoke" ???

Any pics of this procedure??

have to pull the advance plate out of the dist which means you petty much have to pull the entire thing apart. then its just a matter of closing up th eholes to whatever advance you want.

getting the correct plate? don't know if anyone sells them to tell you the truth. you can call FBO and he will build ya an entire dist. but that will be about $170 and your stuck with that advance. would have to send it back to get adjusted if you change your combo.

you can get something like a msd dist. which is easy to adjust everything. has bushings to limit the total advance and its easy to get to the the springs to change the speed of the advance.

So, the OP had asked if running 42* total will hurt anything.

If more advance is better for low end, why not run the 42 provided there is no pinging?

That is about where I am..(base is around 18 as I recall)..plugs look good, no pinging ever, even on 87 octane.

I am running an off-the-shelf distributor from Autozone.

I have a cam and my low end is a bit "soggy"...cant really do a burnout...LOL..... but from what I know that is due to the cam. (Running 3.55s with 29" tires, TCI Breakaway convertor)

Should I bump my base even more and see what happens?

So, the OP had asked if running 42* total will hurt anything.

If more advance is better for low end, why not run the 42 provided there is no pinging?

That is about where I am..(base is around 18 as I recall)..plugs look good, no pinging ever, even on 87 octane.

I am running an off-the-shelf distributor from Autozone.

I have a cam and my low end is a bit "soggy"...cant really do a burnout...LOL..... but from what I know that is due to the cam. (Running 3.55s with 29" tires, TCI Breakaway convertor)

Should I bump my base even more and see what happens?

it may be ok at 42. but thats different for every motor. just have to find out whats best for your/his particular motor.

as far as that off the shelf dist goes. you may want to play with the springs in it. get the total timing in a little earlier. may help ya out a lot.

Great article any chance of getting the second installment of that article.... the one on vacuum advance...

Very timely topic. A couple of memebers in our local club have manufactured a device which can be put in the distributor to allow you to easily adjust your advance without having to weld and file the slots. One of them did a write up about it in the latest club newsletter, and it looks like an awesome idea. They state that it is Patent Pending.

I will have the opportunity to talk to both of them at our Canada Day (July 1st) show, and will find out whether they are in process, and selling them. If so, I will post up some info sometime during the weekend

Grant

Very timely topic. A couple of memebers in our local club have manufactured a device which can be put in the distributor to allow you to easily adjust your advance without having to weld and file the slots. One of them did a write up about it in the latest club newsletter, and it looks like an awesome idea. They state that it is Patent Pending.

I will have the opportunity to talk to both of them at our Canada Day (July 1st) show, and will find out whether they are in process, and selling them. If so, I will post up some info sometime during the weekend

Grant

we need more info on this..

My 500 likes 41 degrees total. It ran hotter when I only had 36 degrees total. Wasnt getting the full charge burnt in the combustion chamber. It was still burning goi ng past the exhaust valve producing more heat in the block. 5 degrees reduced running temp by 20 degrees.

Thanks AbodyJoe..... I have a three ring binder I save all this info in, it will be a great addition.....thanks again..

we need more info on this..

Don't worry.. I'll find out and post up. I'm pretty sure it's something they are either selling now or will be.

And on a side note, since our Postal strike is over, I will send out that DVD :)

Grant

Thanks abodyjoe for those articles. I have been fighting some timing issues with my dart so I will have to try some of their advice.

LimiterKit2.jpg

Here's something that is sold to do the same thing without having to weld up the slots.

Not that I'm fond of what they sell. This is a pretty good thing for multiple adjustment possibilities.

Thanks AbodyJoe..... I have a three ring binder I save all this info in, it will be a great addition.....thanks again..

I agree! Awesome posts!

Especially helpful is the short piece about how to check the operation of the eddie step up pistons!

Good stuff. Thanks for posting Joe. Just added to my tech file. Love that we can get great tech info. on FABO without the legends in their own minds and BS'ers other sites attract.

Oldschoolcuda

I just got the Mopar Performance distributor from Summit Racing.

It's $170 and has adjustable mechanical advance. They do not mention it in the catalogue or online, so i was pleasantly suprised to see that.

Very easy to adjust. Just loosen 2 screws and move the stops to increase or decrease mechanical advance.

The vacuum advance is also adjustable, but they mention that in the specs

I just got the Mopar Performance distributor from Summit Racing.

It's $170 and has adjustable mechanical advance. They do not mention it in the catalogue or online, so i was pleasantly suprised to see that.

Very easy to adjust. Just loosen 2 screws and move the stops to increase or decrease mechanical advance.

The vacuum advance is also adjustable, but they mention that in the specs

did you buy the plastic things to adjust the slots?

-
Back