Totally confused.

-

Fisher

Old Guy with a Cool car.
Reaction score
I am totally confused here this is turning out to be a nightmare. I might just sell this Duster and look for a Chevy, seems to be a lot easier to build.

There are no parts available for SBP disc brakes, and it seems that converting from 9" drums to LBP discs is just as bad. Is there not a complete kit out there that is a straight bolt on?

Also i am being told now that if i buy LBP axles for the rear diffy it changes the offset of the wheels i need???? WTF is that true.

Might help if we had a little more information. What car are you working on? What rear end is under it?

71 Duster 6 cyl auto. 9" drums on the front. The 8-3/4 is out of another A body, no idea what it came from. I acquired a complete front k member etc with factory front disc brakes from a 69 cuda. i see classic industries has the KH calipers for $135.00 each. not sure where to get rotors or pads from ?

I am totally confused here this is turning out to be a nightmare. I might just sell this Duster and look for a Chevy, seems to be a lot easier to build.

What fun would that be?

There are no parts available for SBP disc brakes, and it seems that converting from 9" drums to LBP discs is just as bad. Is there not a complete kit out there that is a straight bolt on?

Yes, there are parts available to do the swap. You can get parts from a 73 and up A body with discs and swap them.

Also i am being told now that if i buy LBP axles for the rear diffy it changes the offset of the wheels i need???? WTF is that true.

Well, it might change it slightly but not drastically. I put a B body rear in my Sport and still run stock wheels.

You know what. F*CK it. the car has 20,000 original miles on it, will leave it as a drum brake car. Worst care i can cut it up down the road and make a race car out of it like everybody else.

You know what. F*CK it. the car has 20,000 original miles on it, will leave it as a drum brake car. Worst care i can cut it up down the road and make a race car out of it like everybody else.

wow man, having a rough day? there are kits out there, you gotta be a little patient

I am totally confused here this is turning out to be a nightmare. I might just sell this Duster and look for a Chevy

That's the easy way out, that's why there are also so many bowties.

Scarebird makes a kit to swap disc brakes into your Mopar using your stock spindles, all the parts you use with their kit is available at ANY parts store using their conversion, and way cheaper too. My uncle did it on his 71 Dart, he can still run his SBP Rallye wheels too.

If you do sell your Duster, list it here.

............for rear brakes with big bolt pattern u use all the parts from almost any other body style mopar as well as trucks till 1993............kim............

Ok 73 and up what? Explain please. What needs to be changed etc?

73-76 A body (Duster, Dart, Valiant, Scamp, etc.). You will need the upper control arms (large ball joint style), spindles, and proportioning valve if you're still running rear drum. There are multiple threads on the forum on what it takes to do this. This is probably the cheapest and easiest way to add disc brakes. Find an old parts car and rob everything you need and get rid of the rest. If you feel like spending some money for a kit then Wilwood or Scarebird makes kits that will use your existing spindle and convert to disc.

71 Duster 6 cyl auto. 9" drums on the front. The 8-3/4 is out of another A body, no idea what it came from. I acquired a complete front k member etc with factory front disc brakes from a 69 cuda. i see classic industries has the KH calipers for $135.00 each. not sure where to get rotors or pads from ?

I would imagine the pics are generic but it might be worth looking into.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...k=Search_C0068_1087961_195&pt=C0068&ppt=C0009

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...1-p?navigationPath=L1*14921|L2*16462|L3*15696

Rock Auto has all the Kesley Hayes small bolt four piston disk brake parts from several manufactures. If using KH brakes you will need 14 inch wheels to clear caliper. By the way Chrysler KH disk brakes are same as early Mustang.

You may be able to redrill axel shafts to relocate bolt pattern.

Thanks for the replies. I am spoiled, having built 3 different Chevy products over the years, i am used to buying and building out of a catalogue.

It's all good. You will find if you take the time, ask the right questions and have a lot of patience, these guys here will overload your mind with knowledge. I too was used to easy builds, but I'm learnin' that my A-body will be a bit more of a challenge, but will be far greater of a feeling of accomplishment when I'm done. Cheers!
Oh, and welcome to FABO and the world of A-bodies!

If it has 20000 original why change anything keep it original, there only that way once.

Find a 73 to 76 dart sport, duster, get everything off the front, and as far as rear end depends how much horse power , why not go with an 81/4 then you have matching bolt pattern front and rear .If you sold the 83/4 you would have enough to buy everything you need , and money to boot i bet.

Don't be discouraged there are more members on here that will help if they can. There are ones who are richard's, Dick's for short. Try slantsixdan or redfish for electrical or tech. 805moparkid or strokerscamp for hi po Their are a bunch of people that will help just be patient and don't buy a chevy!

Don't be discouraged there are more members on here that will help if they can. There are ones who are richard's, Dick's for short. Try slantsixdan or redfish for electrical or tech. 805moparkid or strokerscamp for hi po Their are a bunch of people that will help just be patient and don't buy a chevy!

We are all willing to help, but when you get this

when trying to help it does kinda take the fun out of it.

-
Back