Totally confused.

-
Major problem here is that the auto wreckers around here are sparse, everything has been crushed prior to 1990. We are now looking for other Mopar guys with spares who are not Hoarders... LOL who am i kidding. Or having to rely on the aftermarket industry.

The same has happened here. All the old has been converted to Chinese manufactured goods. It is hard to find parts. I even have a buddy at a wrecking yard and he has never come across anything yet.

There is a guy on here who rebuilds complete K-H brake setups for ~$750. That is similar to Wilwood and SSBC prices and lets you stay original. Parts are a bit rare, but since Mustangs used similar calipers, they should be available for a long time (see rockauto). I thought of changing from my 10" drums to K-H, but have a cheaper idea. Towards that, I bought the factory rotors a few years ago. They used to be ~$100, but I got Centric ones for $22 ea, so shop around.

If you do return to GM, I have read bits about similar issues there, like short vs long water pumps, Chevy and Pontiac motors don't interchange, etc. If you stick to Camaros or Chevelles, you can buy most everything from a catalog, but $$$ and that takes the joy out of finding cheap, creative solutions like you can read here on FABO. In the Mopar world, we have Rick Ehrenberg (Mopar Action) the quintessential Cheap Mopar Bastard who inspires me. I think he pioneered the 73+ disk brake swap to earlier A's.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Thats a good looking kit Tony. Thanks for posting that.

I was in the same boat as you. I bought some used pieces knowing
there wasn't enough parts to make a complete swap. Wasn't sure what
was needed for a complete swap.

Sold the used stuff to Inkjunkie and bought the kit from Master Power brakes.

It was the right thing to do for me not being sure of what I needed.

Find a 73 to 76 dart sport, duster, get everything off the front, and as far as rear end depends how much horse power , why not go with an 81/4 then you have matching bolt pattern front and rear .If you sold the 83/4 you would have enough to buy everything you need , and money to boot i bet.

This guy nails it. The later stuff has the larger bolt pattern, and the better ball joints, and NO questionable engineering (Not all swap kits are questionable, but some sure are) and it's drag n' drop, OE parts. Easy peasy. A simple weekend job if you are slow.

MY large pattern rear axles (from Strange, IIRC) didn't change the rear offset any, except possibly a minute amount because I specified that I wanted to run "big car" rear drums for ease of parts availability.

Except the bushings and rear axles, my Mopar chassis is ALL Mopar. And it was deliciously easy to make the change.

-
Back