Totaly confused about Strut Rod Bushings and Washer

-

RichardJ916

Reaction score
1972 Plymouth Duster

I am ready to order a new set of Strut Rod Bushings, I am not sure what to order, and also why does my spacer look like it is on backwards, after looking at 3 different cars, 1 GtX, 1 Scamp, and 1 Dodge all have washer turned around the other way, plus when looking in the shop manual it show it reversed then what is installed on mine.
Do I have something wrong here or what?

So my question is what is the correct part number for the Mogg and how does the washer need to be installed.
IMAG0081.jpg

That washer should cup the rubber bushing. I could look up the moog number,if i was in the shop,as my computer out there is connected directly to my supplier.
Im thinking difference would be minor,likely intended to keep rubber from squishing out.

The confusion is that the Moog parts say(or did at one time)to install them like your picture shows. The Moog washers have "this side out" stamped in them. I don't know why they did that. The factory installed them opposite of how yours are.(washers "cup" the bushing) Someone has replaced yours in the past and installed them per the Moog instructions.

Also, originally there wasn't a cotter pin in the strut rod. There was a roll pin.

The confusion is that the Moog parts say(or did at one time)to install them like your picture shows. The Moog washers have "this side out" stamped in them. I don't know why they did that. The factory installed them opposite of how yours are.(washers "cup" the bushing) Someone has replaced yours in the past and installed them per the Moog instructions.

Also, originally there wasn't a cotter pin in the strut rod. There was a roll pin.

I believe the Moog ones WERE DIFFERENT from the factory ones. I would go by Moog destructions "if that is what you have" and by factory if you are sure those are "whut."

OK now that we have that figured out what is the correct moog part number for the style I have. Do you use the ones with the brass inset or just the 2 bisket ones...

If you use the one with the brass insert you won't be able to put the roll pin in.

I don't think I have the roll pin, so what your saying is if I use the rubber ones from mogg I would put the washer with the cup towards the bushing and use a cotter pin. or use the poly ones with a cotter pin also. Both would use the cup washer towards the bushing.

in my 65 manual the cupped washers face each other, like a football and the bushing (either solid like the Imperials, or 3 part with a spacer) was inside.
http://jholst.net/65-parts-manual/front-suspension.pdf but there was a long discussion about this on another board IIRC. I think Moog reversed it due to the compound of its replacement bushings.

I think it depends on if you end up with the regular or "improved" ones. Mine Moog ones came with destructions with the cup facing the bushing so that's how they went in.

I'd just go to RockAuto and look up the correct part for your year. I just bought replacement bushings. I had the original washers re-plated.

I wouldn't use poly bushings if you are using the stock strut rods. The poly bushings don't compress as much and can hold the control arm too far back. You need adjustable strut rods for poly bushings...or so I've read.

1972 Plymouth Duster

I am ready to order a new set of Strut Rod Bushings, I am not sure what to order, and also why does my spacer look like it is on backwards, after looking at 3 different cars, 1 GtX, 1 Scamp, and 1 Dodge all have washer turned around the other way, plus when looking in the shop manual it show it reversed then what is installed on mine.
Do I have something wrong here or what?

So my question is what is the correct part number for the Mogg and how does the washer need to be installed.View attachment 1715079527
the picture shows what we used to call the HP moog bushing. Each half bushing has a steel core that fit together, far superior to the oem style 1 piece bushing. It is higher durometer rubber, and will last twice as long as oem 1 piece. The washers shown are in the correct orientation for the HP bushing

B and E bodies use the two piece bushing with steel sleeve from the factory. They oriented the washer opposite from Moog. I still don't know why Moog did it that way. It looks goofy. It should work just fine oriented in the factory possition.

Did the 73+ k-members use the one piece or two piece bushings?

OK So this is what I am going to use...
MOOG K7040
And put the washer on the way the diagram say, cup facing out.
AMG_K7040_P04_TOP__ra_p.jpg

-
Back