Tough times

-

mopar426

Reaction score
Lately I've been thinkin about just getting rid of my 71 demon. Just don't have the founds to do anything with it. I've had big dreams for the car ever since I bought it back in 09 but they've been just that dreams. I'm tired of just seeing the car just sit there and nothing being done with it. I would rather see it in someone else's hands bein built into what it should be but it kills me to think about it since it was my very first car. Just don't know what to do :/ sorry for ranting just getting it off my chest.:sad:

I can say this, you need this car in your life, we all need to have a dream of some kind in our life and you have something you can never replace Your first car.. Keep the dream alive even if it has to wait till next year.. the money can be replaced, and it will be gone before you know it. JMO .. Yes I regret selling my first real car, 70 Barracuda because it was the car I was driving when my children was born (know 31 and 33) and it can never be replaced
Life changes every time you turn around, don't let this be something I am sure you will regret .. JMO and hope a spark of hope hits you before it is gone forever.

Try buying a part here and a part there, spread it our over along time, and eventually it will happen. Don't give up, dreams keep us young.

I agree, keep the car, you sell it you will regret it, and finding a replacement is even harder. we all have struggles in life....I love my Mopars and it makes me feel good when I am able to work on them. I don't have the money to fix them all up the way I want right now but I have dreams of what they can be someday. Hang in there bud and hope we can help :glasses7:

Dude, totally been there. I picked up a rust free shell of a 1972 340 4 speed B5 blue demon way back when, had plans to borrow the rust free body parts for my dart sport. anyways after some thought we decided to build the car for my mom. Unfortunately all of our stock piled parts are 73 and up A body. we had literally nothing for the car, then just grille and taillights alone was an arm and a leg. not to mention everything else the car was missing. Anyways I sold it out right for what I paid for it, to a guy to restore it. Better home. And then we replaced the demon with a 1974 duster that we had plenty of parts laying around for.

I agree with all the other posts. I reluctantly sold a car years ago and was without one for about 6 months. I ended up getting another one and started to resto process again. I was in to this present car way more than the first one. Lesson learned. Keep it, since it was your first car. I found out that doing another car the parts, labor for things I couldn't do like paint ect were more costly as time went on. My friend sold two of his cars and is now into another project, and many times he spoke of just wishing he would've kept one of the previous cars he had. If it's not costing anything sitting there, let it sit. Do small things that don't cost much if anything. My advice, once it's gone it's gone. When my funds were low I removed parts, cleaned ect. costs nothing but my time and it may just re spark your interest.

I'm happy if I have ANY little thing coming for the car.
Even if it's not here yet, and the last one I ordered was only about 5 bucks and it came this morning.
It helps a lot knowing any little thing is on it's way.

I've had mine a very long time and its history is a sad one.
I keep buying parts when I can afford them and have most
to finish it.

Don't give up on the dream, hard times come and go, stick
with it and one day it'll be done.
I see you've been a member here since 2007 and bought your
car in 2009, shows you've got the tenacity it takes to
get it done one of these days.
Hang in there!
Wish I still had my first car, lets see some pics of yours!

Thanks for cheering me up guys it just gets very overwhelming sometimes when I think about all the stuff that needs to be done. I guess I could try to break it down into sections like do the engine compartment then the interior etc etc.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 320
When I first brought it home

Attachments

• image.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 311
Having gotten rid of my 73 Challenger that I had for 11 years I can tell you- if possible keep it because you will regret selling it! I bought my Challenger when I was 19 years old and sold it when I was 30 because of family needs. I wish I could have kept it and I still miss it to this day. Other cars will come along, but will NEVER fully replace the first one. JMO

We're kind of in the same boat you and I. I don't have the time right now with work and all but I buy what I can when I can and when I do go to the shop I don't let myself get overwhelmed by the entire restoration. I will pick one or two things I can restore or refurbish and do them one piece at a time. I figure that when I retire in a few years I should have all the parts I need and the time to put my Dart together. If I should die before I get to work on it full time I'm going to really be pissed. Dan

It is just nuts, bolts, metal and plastic that you are dealing with and a part here and there will move the project along. Trouble is once you have gotten rid of it the next one will never be the same. I so miss my first car and know it will never be the same even if I found another one.

Don't do it! I sold my first Sport Fury when I was a teenager and spent 23 years looking for another one. Try looking for parts cars. I found a 340 swinger apart but complete for $1500. Body was beyond repair, but I kept what I needed and sold the rest. Made about $1400 profit. I couldn't afford to do my Dart without that find.

sell it, use the money for something you need and don't look back. its only a car and there are many more out there and will be when you are in a position to actually afford and go through with an entire project.. don't sweat it man..

KEEP IT I went thru this, even had people looking at the Dart, best thing I ever did was decide to keep it, brought my spirits back up and felt better.

not sure how complete your car is, I have found that if mine is running and I can get in it and drive it around the block, I get inspired to work on it... there is a lot we can do with minimal $$. I have had my Barracuda for probably 15 years or more, the body is still not done, I have put 3 different engines in it and rebuilt the tranny twice but never got the body finished up. Only you really know your life and your drive to get it done but, if you really like the car and have somewhere to keep it out of the weather where it won't rot... and not costing you per month to store it somewhere, I'd be inclined to keep it. On the other hand, I have kept things too long, thinking I'd get around to them and they have deteriorated to the point that I got a lot less than if I had sold it earlier.

A man has nothing if he hasn't got a dream.

The little bit of money you get will be gone in no time. Then you won't have the car or the money.

Took me 12 years to restore my 66, working on it a little at a time! Never thought to give up because something wasn't getting done!! Patience grasshopper, its not costing you anything waiting for you, and like mentioned above, if you spend a little here and there pretty soon you'll have more than enough to do when the time comes!!

Did you ever drive it?
What are/were your plans for it?
You didn't mention that you needed the money for something else, only that you haven't the money to fix it up today.
Why is it just sitting there? Lack of funds shouldn't bring everything to a standstill. It took me four years to do my Duster on the cheap.
Get started and do something…

OTOH, if you have never driven it… sell it and wait until you are ready for a project.
C

Keep it, I sold a prized truck I built a long time ago that only needed a few things redone but I did not have the funds and sold it, I wish I had kept it. My Barracuda is no show piece but it runs and drives and I buy stuff when I can afford it, I'll never sell this one [unless someone offers stupid money] to get me in another car. My question is can you assemble it to become a driver even if it ain't a show car at least you can drive it and enjoy it till you have the funds/parts ect. I have thought about selling it but haven't because I may never have another classic, so I have accepted the fact I'll never be able to afford to make my Cuda a flawless show piece but I will rebuild it [some day] my self to my liking. They don't cost nothing sitting there waiting to be rebuilt. Best of luck in your decision.

Hang in there. I have owned my Dart for years and it still isn't done. Sometimes life gets in the way. I like your Demon. What color is it? Got the paint code? It tmm's unusual.

So long as you or your family are not wanting for anything important, and it's not costing you anything (or much) to store, I'd keep it. If it's still like it is in the pics, it looks like a nice project. Several options, but one of the things I would consider is to just bolt it back together and drive it. As it is. Don't worry about this or that isn't perfect, but do it right enough to run right and be reliable (and stop, obviously). Then just enjoy it. Then do a thing here and there, keeping it on the road as much as possible. So many full teardowns and restorations never get done. I did that once when I was much younger and ended up selling it. Stupid. Could have had an awesome car today if I'd kept it. Either way, good luck, just keep plugging away when you can.

Unless you will gain enough financially to really impact your life you will regret it. I have had mine in the garage for a good while and no money to go towards it. The economy is rough right now and will be for a while to come but you know what? I have her. It's a 73 dart sport, wish she was a demon but you can't have it all all the time, it needs a radiator, tires, bearings, water pump, leaf spring perches, shocks, battery, carb, exhaust system, few panels need repairing... To some guys it's not worth it counting what I have managed to pick up already, mainly from here but to me it's worth so much more and by God's grace I will get it done. At least I have her to go sit in and just imagine my dreams, that's worth more then I could get for selling her any day of the week.

-
Back