Tow a non-running car

-

aduc73

Reaction score
I live in neighborhood that doesnt allow non operating car in parking lot, that suck!

Now I have to move my car within 10 days. Im finding the storage for it, my question is "how to tow my car, do-it-yourself" . I dont have a truck, I thinking of rent the Dolly and hook it to my Camry, will it work? Or how did you tow your non-running car?

thanks

Yeah thats a big negative. Best to find someone with a trailer or atleast a truck. Follow the local laws you dont want tickets.

For just towing the Duster around town before it was running, bought a towbar and hooked it up and then pulled it with my old chevy truck.

I wouldn't want to pull it with a Camry, at least not more than a mile or so and even then real gentle and slow.

Check with a local rental place for the cost to rent a dolly. Then check with your local towing company. It might be cheaper to have it towed. Have them use a flat bed or wheel lift. That's how I got mine moved.

this is not to be negitive to the original poster..

IF YOU ARE ASKING ABOUT HOW TO PULL IT, AND WITH A CAMRY, IN THE BEST INTREST OF THE CAR, AND ALL LIVES AROUND YOU, PLEASE, FOR PETE'S SAKE, JUST PAY A TOW COMPANY THE 50 - 75 BUCKS TO MOVE IT FOR YA!
plus, to rent a dolley is 49.99 for the day, plus 9.00 insurance on it.
then you still; have to have a truck.

IF YOU ARE ASKING ABOUT HOW TO PULL IT, AND WITH A CAMRY, IN THE BEST INTREST OF THE CAR, AND ALL LIVES AROUND YOU, PLEASE, FOR PETE'S SAKE, JUST PAY A TOW COMPANY THE 50 - 75 BUCKS TO MOVE IT FOR YA!

x2 or u could push it

You can always rent a dolly and a truck to tow it with from U-Haul. Be sure to pull the driveshaft if it's an auto car and towing with the rear wheels on the ground.

LOLLLLL, Let me think about it!!

I have another question, I just talk to my neighbor about my situation, he told me to park the car in the next public road, outside my neighborhood. What do you think? Is it against the law? FYI, my car has antique license plate, insured(I just remove engine to rebuilt)

Otherwise, there are car storage nearby, $89/months, if you were me, what will you do?

Are you serious? I don't know where you live and what the laws are, but if I were to leave my car "abandoned" on a street where I don't live - it would be towed off or stripped down and hauled off for junk before the week was out.

Are you doing the engine rebuild? If not, what about storing it at the shop that is doing the rebuild? If it is a nice old car, it sort of acts like good advertising for them to have it in their yard.

Otherwise, pay for the tow and the storage building.
C

Are you serious? I don't know where you live and what the laws are, but if I were to leave my car "abandoned" on a street where I don't live - it would be towed off or stripped down and hauled off for junk before the week was out.

Are you doing the engine rebuild? If not, what about storing it at the shop that is doing the rebuild? If it is a nice old car, it sort of acts like good advertising for them to have it in their yard.

Otherwise, pay for the tow and the storage building.
C

I rebuild engine myself.

You are right, I just do some research, police may tow if the inoperate car park in public road more than 4 days. http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fcdot/parking_restrictions.htm

I will go with car-storage but will also considering tow the car with my Camry! lol..

Thanks for all advise :thumrigh:

Join AAA for $50.00,than have them tow it.You get 3 tows per year:banghead:
Please don'y play "DOPE ON A ROPE!" Too bad ya don't live closer:laughing:

Attachments

• 056.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 566
  • 108.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 563
  • 924.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 563
  • al towing06.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 541
  • AL TOWING 003 - Copy.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 537
  • IMG_3935.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 535
  • OYSTER BAY1010Al towing 009Al towing 009.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 579
  • ROX BDAY 013.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 528
I would have it towed rather than risk tearing up your Camry and/or your project car. Just think how much it'd cost you to replace the transmission in the Camry if you tore it up towing a 3000 lb. car with it.

but will also considering tow the car with my Camry! lol..
:thumrigh:

Look at all of those nicely secured cars Hemi-itis showed. You're going to spend THOUSANDS restoring your car, and you won't pay a tow truck to move your car IN A MANNER THAT WON'T ENDANGER EVERYONE AROUND IT?
Uggh, give me a break...

Speedthrills is correct !!

If you don't have a trailer and a good tow vehicle (or have a friend that does), it is a lot easier (and probably) cheaper to have a roll-back haul it than to rent a truck and trailer to do it.
If I was closer, I would do it for ya!!

Camry3.jpg

If the car is insured, and has plates on it, why don't you just close the hood so no arsewinded neighbors know it's engineless? Or put a tiny electric motor on the k-member and hook a couple of wires to the driveshaft and tell them it's a green electric conversion..

Grant

With plates and insurance you shouldnt be required to remove it!

With no engine in it, just crank the torsion bars down to get rid of that nose-in-the-air look.

I agree with having it towed by a tow truck. Even with plates and insurance, Detroit came and towed my cars that couldn't run. I talked them into towing only one and had the rest put into a storage place and had to get the one out of impound. The cop was PO'ed that I refused to let them get stored in the Detroit city limits and went to the suburbs.

Eventually when you get deeper into the hobby, you will get a truck and trailer or rent a trailer when needed to move the cars around. It's part of the fever you catch when restoring cars for a hobby.

Yea, what they said. Drop the bucks and have it towed. If you can't afford it you probably can't afford to fix it.

Dope on a rope........that is very fitting for people that do that......

Join AAA for $50.00,than have them tow it.You get 3 tows per year:banghead:
Please don'y play "DOPE ON A ROPE!" Too bad ya don't live closer:laughing:

look most of the pics they use 1 chain or hook on the rear real smart dipshits

look most of the pics they use 1 chain or hook on the rear real smart dipshits

yupp you can tell experince from someone new on the job by how there load (in this case a car) is secured. one chain won't do much for your car in the case that the truck is in an accident, not to meation it could kill someone

Go out and buy yourself a cover for rhe car. Cover it in your driveway. The police have to have a search warrant to look under the cover. I lived in a neighborhood like that and all it took was some busybody neighbor to complain about the "junk" cars in my driveway to get the police to put a bright orange sticker on it with a notice to remove it. I lost a nice 71 Newyorker with a 440 in it. I wound up giving it to a friend. The next time I had a car in my driveway I covered it and never had a problem even though it was not even inspected. I just don't understand how anybody can tell you what you can and can't do on YOUR own property. Sometimes it seems like we're living in a comunist country. Anyway I guess it could be worse LOL

-
Back