Toyota Troubles!

-
With the good name of Toyota making millions of cars a year, something was bound to happen sooner or later. No car company can do no wrong...Mistakes happen, you learn from them and hope few if any people die in the process, and you go from there. It happens with domestic cars and should be expected to occur from time to time with import cars (that are often built right here in the good ol' US of A btw).

Lets see;
Burning camshafts
Malfunctioning seatbelts
Week rusting frames
Roll over deaths, that they setteld in court over but got caught hiding rollover data in the law suit. All the cases will be reopened, and it's gonna cost them.
Now runaway throttles. After the goverenment told them to stop selling the affected cars, they kept selling for five more days.
Quite a bit more serious issues than the normal car problems that all manufactures have.

they only have to stop selling the cars that have the USA gas pedals in them. they can sell all the cars that have the denso pedal.

No doubt about it...This was a horrible accident that should have never happened (the floor mat hanging up the pedal). I just performed a survey of 10 people here at my college and only two of them (myself included), knew what to do if the accelerator pedal were to stick. That's pretty sad IMO. Why not use some of the money currently used for pointless PSA's, and create a PSA on what to do if this is to occur (Foot hard on brake, shift into neutral, slow down, stop, shut engine off). I know this accident occurred w/a loaner car, but some basic knowledge could help save countless lives. I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who has had a throttle stuck open on myself.

I just skimmed through 3 pages of venting and not ONE person has touched on the REAL reason that Toyota is in trouble: It's the idiot behind the wheel. Plain & simple. Wanna know why?

People get in their car, sit down while pushing with their feet they push the floor mats off their anchors, and they roll up and get stuck under the gas pedal. Sometime people complain about the car not running right with no power. Pedal is stopping against floor mat. Sometimes poor braking. The mat is stuck. And sometimes it will stick after giving it gas. The idiot whom killed himself & his family is a good example of idiot drivers.....all you have to do is turn off the key, STAND on the brake, and steer. Done.

I went through this in the 80's with Audi's "unintended acceleration" issues. Want to know what the final verdict in that fiasco was? Driver error was the reason.... Everyone wants to sue someone when THEY screw up. Business as usual in this country.

I've been in the business for over 35 yrs. and I've seen MANY idiot drivers.... Toyota is just jammed up trying to make their cars "dumb proof".

BTW: One more political reference and this get's locked....

all i can say is honda 3 wheelers, lot,s of people hurt cause they did not know how to handle them, now we have 4 wheelers or quads,i try to teach my kids what to do for all types of situation, show on the side of the road , no brakes[ if a line blows], can,t always predick what might happen. the state park is a good place to teach lot,s of open space. als

I'm with Vic on this one. We dont need to be sending our hard earned money overseas anyway. But i guess we are free to do what we want with it....right or wrong. WOW. could this be considered a "Weapon of Mass Distruction"?. After all they did stand on the deck of a carrier during their surrender and said they will take us from within the next time. Wont bother me if they go down. More AMERICAN car buyers....maybe.
Small Block

Let me edit this....You dont think little o will come to their rescue and bail em out do you? He's about that stupid.

How many of those Toyota's have keyless ignitions (push button starter)? Does anyone have a car with keyless ignition, like the Nissan Altima?

What happens if you try to shut it off while driving. Will the car actually shut off, or is the button disabled while driving to prevent the driver from accidentally shutting the engine off?

For years, GM cars have computer controlls that do not allow the engine above a certain rpm while in neutral. 4000 rpm in a 1996 Pontiac Sunfire is one example.

It would be difficult to give generic advice on what to do in the event of a runaway car. Every car is different. Got a manual trans? Just step on the clutch. They are not all that simple.

You may be comfortable in your vehicle, but how many times have you gotten into an unfamiliar car, maybe at night, and felt like you never drove a car before because the shifter/wipers/headlights etc were different from your regular car. My daily driver is a manual. When I get into my wifes car to start it (an automatic) my left foot usually makes a stab for the clutch, which isn't there.

As stated before, teach your family members what to do in case of an emergency like this. Go to the open parking lot, or vacant road, and actually do it. Find out if you can shut the car off, slowly rev it in neutral and see if there is a lower rpm cutoff, try to brake while accelerating. It could make all the difference.

Wont bother me if they go down. More AMERICAN car buyers....maybe.
Small Block

Let me edit this....You dont think little o will come to their rescue and bail em out do you? He's about that stupid.

I agree:thumbup::thumbup:...an Toyotas stock is on its way down:bootysha::bootysha::bootysha:

I just skimmed through 3 pages of venting and not ONE person has touched on the REAL reason that Toyota is in trouble: It's the idiot behind the wheel. Plain & simple. Wanna know why?

People get in their car, sit down while pushing with their feet they push the floor mats off their anchors, and they roll up and get stuck under the gas pedal. Sometime people complain about the car not running right with no power. Pedal is stopping against floor mat. Sometimes poor braking. The mat is stuck. And sometimes it will stick after giving it gas. The idiot whom killed himself & his family is a good example of idiot drivers.....all you have to do is turn off the key, STAND on the brake, and steer. Done.

I went through this in the 80's with Audi's "unintended acceleration" issues. Want to know what the final verdict in that fiasco was? Driver error was the reason.... Everyone wants to sue someone when THEY screw up. Business as usual in this country.

I've been in the business for over 35 yrs. and I've seen MANY idiot drivers.... Toyota is just jammed up trying to make their cars "dumb proof".

I'm glad to see one professional driver on here. You might try reading instead of SKIMMING! You really need to look at the details. To me it should be hard to form an opinion without the facts. Its easy to blame it on the "idiot" drivers, I'm glad to see are not one of them.

No,the idiots are the Americans spending their hard earned dollar buying those "TOYLETES"...:thumbdow::thumbdow:

I heard on the news this morning that the faulty pedals were made in Indiana (USA) and Mississauga (Canada) so that kind of flys in the face of all this buy American if you want quality. We don't live in a perfect world, there will always be design errors, human errors, etc. whether you buy at home or overseas, it's the nature of the beast.

Stroke 340 >>> NOT floor mat concern this time... Toyota suggested removing floor mats and putting in trunk >>> GUESS WHAT ... it still happened ??? I have been i trade just as long ... and i understand floor mat issue ....BUT NOT THIS TIME.

No,the idiots are the Americans spending their hard earned dollar buying those "TOYLETES"...:thumbdow::thumbdow:

So it would be better spent on a total piece of cow crap like the Chrysler Sebring, rates one of the 10 worst cars of the decade, and most car rating companies are rating the Caliber as another rolling dung heap????

FF

I heard on the news this morning that the faulty pedals were made in Indiana (USA) and Mississauga (Canada) so that kind of flys in the face of all this buy American if you want quality. We don't live in a perfect world, there will always be design errors, human errors, etc. whether you buy at home or overseas, it's the nature of the beast.

SOMEONE AT TOYOTA OKAYED THIS PART, NOT THE GUY MAKING IT.

Canadian,U.S. governments sold us out years ago- the Japs are smart and RUTHLESS. They knew our politicians were the best that $$$ COULD BUY. Once allowed to invade our market,they targeted the female buying population first. Won their support, knowing that the women would influence their men(the clueless fucks who didn't know a wingnut from a lugnut) and who had no interest in our HERITAGE and about how impt. the automotive industry was for our economy. The Japs knew. They shamelessly copied(STOLE) the best European and North American technology. The asshole dealers sold GM, Mopar and Ford trucks and SUV's on their lots to pay for their Jap dealerships,... And here we are. I've watched this and much,much more and it makes me puke!
We need this generation back! The last 2 were sold out!
Until we see a Jap dealership close,we're losing!
:clock:

t The snowball just kept growing. The Japs knew. They knew if they could take over the auto industry in North America that our economy would fail. Gov't couldn't see past their assholes-only dollar signs. We need to get the next generation back. They(Japs) stole the last 2!! And next there's China.

Any vehicle on the recall list that has a cts gas pedal that was made in the us is on the recall list and needs to be fixed..

Any vehicle with the denso gas pedal stsyem thats on the recall is safe to drive and will not need to get fixed..

Any vehicle that begins with JT vin number was built in japan and are not being recalled as they all have the denso gas pedals..

I haven't read every post so maybe this has been said but...all car mfgs have their problems. How they deal with them is what differentiates them. I can tell you that some stick their head in the sand (BMW, Ford). They might eventually issue a fix but will never admit a flaw. At least Toyota owned up to it. Perhaps it was too obvious to ignore. The big 3 and others could learn a few lessons here. That said, the fallacy about the Japs being higher quality might be broken. I have never been able to bring myself to pay up for the Jap car premium for the supposed higher quality and higher resale.

SOMEONE AT TOYOTA OKAYED THIS PART, NOT THE GUY MAKING IT.

Why are you yelling? Do you actully know definitively that it was a design flaw not a manufacturing flaw? I don't, all I heard was there was something faulty with it. If you have something in writing explaining precisely what the problem was I'd like to read it :read2:

-
Back