Toyota Troubles!

-
So does this also include Lexus? Isn't that just a glorified Toyota? My mother-in-law has a new Lexus suv and they think it is the best thing on the road, is it now unsafe too? Not sure if I want my daughter riding in their vehicle till it is fixed.

Good question...I didn't see Lexus mentioned, but I could be wrong.

yea some are just stuck on the own path i love my mopar i have had 1974 cuda 4speed pistal grip,87 dodge truck,68 sat,and now have a 70 duster and a 2002 dodge ram 1500.have had the duster about 14yrs, the ram i got about it had 12,000 miles on it with warr. shifter had a recall, went to fl. on vac 1 yr got 105 in the truck with window up oh it rain before get in the truck the f--ken dash was cracked called dodge and it not our fault we forgot to put in thew uv prot. and will give you a disc. on a new dash (100.00) but the thing was like 300.00 so forget that if you didnt put it in that 1 why would you put it in this 1 when you can keep fools comeing back....oh wait 1 more problem trans has problems every few 5/6 month you have to change the fulid and filter or it act like it dont want to go in rev. what the hell.......at lease i can get in my wifes altama and go forward or backwards at any time.. i dont care for chevy much but have had some and fords and will drive them now if thats what it is to get where i need.....everywhere you look on every board dont buy from over seas i guess most should stop postting on there over seas computer ...just a thought:love7:

LOL. A domestic going 300,000 without any problems is a flat out lie.
Any car going 300,000 without any problems is most likely a lie.

BTW…. Domestics have just about as many foreign made parts as a Kia. Buying a Domestic only supports 2nd world economies.

Please buy American so a Mexican can make another $3.00 a day.

The ignorance and BS in this thread is shocking.

What you know as "America" has been sold or "Free Traded" away. The "America" so many fought and died for no longer exists.

yea some are just stuck on the own path i love my mopar i have had 1974 cuda 4speed pistal grip,87 dodge truck,68 sat,and now have a 70 duster and a 2002 dodge ram 1500.have had the duster about 14yrs, the ram i got about it had 12,000 miles on it with warr. shifter had a recall, went to fl. on vac 1 yr got 105 in the truck with window up oh it rain before get in the truck the f--ken dash was cracked called dodge and it not our fault we forgot to put in thew uv prot. and will give you a disc. on a new dash (100.00) but the thing was like 300.00 so forget that if you didnt put it in that 1 why would you put it in this 1 when you can keep fools comeing back....oh wait 1 more problem trans has problems every few 5/6 month you have to change the fulid and filter or it act like it dont want to go in rev. what the hell.......at lease i can get in my wifes altama and go forward or backwards at any time.. i dont care for chevy much but have had some and fords and will drive them now if thats what it is to get where i need.....everywhere you look on every board dont buy from over seas i guess most should stop postting on there over seas computer ...just a thought:love7:

Zingggggggg.lol. It's a good point. I love my A-Body just like everybody (it was my first car after all), but I am a car guy in general who loves good engineering car-wise. An indestructible Toyota (while not the most exciting vehicle) certainly serves its purpose and allows my family and I to spend all the money we save on them on the other toys. I don't know if people are just stubborn and haven't tried something other than a domestic vehicle, or if they truly believe domestic is superior to all other comers. Not a fan of car nazis myself. The argument seems pretty lame these days considering the amount of domestic vehicles/parts are made outside of the US. Hell, take a look at many restoration pieces and you will see "Made in China"...Should we boycott those as well?

Oh and yes...300,000 miles comes few and far between among cars. I have certainly seen my fair share of 200,000 mile turnovers, but cars are usually traded in or crushed near that mark it seems like. Their will always be those freakish cars that cross over a million miles with little maintenance.

What you know as "America" has been sold or "Free Traded" away. The "America" so many fought and died for no longer exists.

Thats partly because of people buying all those foreign automakers products/garbage.....and of coarse liberals......

I look at it this way. When was the last time you saw a mid '90s Honda or Toyota. They are throw away cars and trucks. All companies have recalls but for Rusty frames? Run your spare tire in the bed for safety? Give me a break. Jmho

It is kind of funny that you see a lot more of the late 80s hondas driving than the mid 90s. At least in southern California lots of people drive those as first cars.

I just purchased a tacoma this past aug. Its a great running truck. I traded in a 97 dakota with 160,000 miles on it. I went through 3 catalytic convertors, 4 sets of rotors, had 2 collasped front brake line, 2 left wheel bearings, 1 heater core that I wouldn't wish an enemy had to change and when I got rid of it a slipping tranny. I had a 87 nissan before the dakota. 176,000 and the only 3 things to fix in eleven years. 1 carrier bearing, 1 top electrical connection for fuel pump and 1 starter. The guy I sold it too drove in another 50,000 miles before his son crashed into a tree. He had to replace the clutch at 200,000. 1 clutch in 200,000. I'm not bashing either way and you can get lucky or unlucky on any purchase, but you want to bash foreign and not buy foreign then you will need to sell your, television, cell phone, parts from your harley, the list is endless. Probably your pc that your viewing this on. I would have purchased a new dakota, but look at them. Same chassis from 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel, plain inside and the body style what were they thinking. I would have liked to get a new ram, but optioned out to 40,000 plus I don't think so. just my 3 1/2 cents.

The Point That Is Missed Is, When You Put Yourself Up Above The Rest. You Are Not Allowed To Make A Mistake. All We I Have Heard For Years Was How Great This Company Is. I Worked For One Of The Biggest Toyo. Dealers In Oklahoma. I Have Seen Recalls, Thats What We Did When The Service Dept. Got Slow, Get On The Phones To Get The Recalls In The Door. I Have Seen Lemon Buy-back Toyo's As Well. They Are Not As Perfect Or Reliable As The Automotive Press Would Like You To Believe. I Do Believe The Imports Are Better Maintained Than The Domestics. The Typical Person Buying An Import Will Be More Likly To Return To The Dealer For Service Than A Domestic Buyer. It Doesn't Matter What Brand It Is, The Better The Maint. The Higher The Miles It Will Go. The Bottom Line Is, Toyota Has Gotten To This Point In A Short Time, Where The Domestic Car Companies Took Several Years To Get To, Lack Of Quality & Operating In The Red. They Did This Without The Uaw Or The Goverments Help. They Did Make A Few Southern Politicians Whealthy, While They Condeemed Detroit. Lets See How Loyal They Are When The American Market Starts To Sour On Them.

I have 300,000 miles on my RAM, it is a Cummins though :cheers:

Does Ford explorer and firestone tires ring a bell, bodies everywhere.

They maybe allowed to make them here but they are certainly NOT an american based company..
Do you know how many companies today are foreign owned?? start looking, it will surprize you.

What, say to hell with a product made by a foreign owned company, but made/assembled by your next door neighbor, or best friend, or cousin from the midwest?? It puts food on their tables, too, or is that wrong thinking??

I have had numerous "American" cars as company cars over the years, and all of them, absolutely all of them were scrap heap candidates by the time they reached 150,000 miles. And I maintain the vehicles very well. Hell the 2000 Intrepid was a piece of crap by 80k miles. 2 other domestics ate transmissions like they were candy.

I picked up a 2004 Camry as a company car 6 years ago, and put 98k miles on it in the first 3 years, then was offered the car for next to nothing, as my boss was getting out of supplying company cars, so I bought it, and now, 3 years later, it is on the precipice of 180,000 miles and it has had one, count em, one non wear item replaced in the 6 years, a caliper mount hole became elongated, so the mount had to be replaced, $125 plus my sweat for ~30 minutes. Other than that, nothing, brakes, oil changes, a serpentine belt, and wiper blades and tires. I know this is sorta strange, as ANY car will have some problems, hell, they're a machine, and machines wear out/break/have problems.

I'm not saying everyone should rush out and buy one, but when it comes time to buy another car, I will consider a Toyota very seriously, because of the track record of this car,

Face it, Americans make these cars now, almost none of them come over on boats like they used to, and, YES , the profits go overseas, but if you want to completely ignore companies that are foreign owned, good luck finding all your clothing, food, sporting goods, car parts, etc.

Believe me, I look at labels, and try to "buy American" and it gets harder and harder every day, but cars that are over 75% sourced from domestic companies, and assembled/made by American workers qualify as American made to me.

FF

Does Ford explorer and firestone tires ring a bell, bodies everywhere.

FIRESTONE WANTED THE TIRES RAN @ 32PSI, FORD WANTED THEM RAN @ 28PSI. FORD STATED THE THE ROLLOVER FACTOR WAS HIGHER @ 32PSI. FIRESTONE STATED THAT AT 28PSI, THE FAILURE RATE WENT UP.
SO WHO WAS AT FAULT?
FORD FOR BUILDING A HI-RATE ROLLOVER VEHICLE & NOT REALLY CARING ABOUT THE CONSUMER OR FIRESTONE BEING SO GREEDY & WANTING THE SUPPLIER CONTRACT & NOT CARING ABOUT THE CONSUMER.
ALL THIS DID WAS MAKE THE LAWYERS RICHER.

We can all talk smack and live to laugh about this .... BUT lets not forget the innocent lives that were lost becuase of this ... Does not matter if Domestic or Foreign ( mind you i would never buy a TOYOTA ).. Prayers go out to the owners and there families !

I worked at a local Ford dealer for three years (job security as they always break) and can tell you we had books that we called oh s#!t manuals. When I worked there and the new body style F series truck came out the manual was about 300 pages long! Like stated earlier remember the Ford/Firestone recall? or how about the mustang steering column fires? Even not too long ago chrysler had one for a loose charge wire causing fires. Honestly every manufacturer has its issues. It all comes down to how many times can a company have a safety issue and your willing to put your family behind the wheel.

IT will NEVER change.... ALWAYS going to happen ... CALLED COST CUTTING .. HOW CAN WE MAKE IT CHEAPER and QUICKER !
Companies that do this .. is dragging other manufacturers down , so they can compete to make a profit ... " the KEY is" to identify a problem as quick as possible , and repair the problem as QUICK as possible ... 12 lives later ?????????? This tells me that CHINA and AMERICA are not on the same page ....

Yeah, I read that Toyota claimed it was just the floor mat making the gas pedal hang up and that was all. Now today I hear there NOW is a problem with the pedal. Not only is is sticking its going to the floor!! A news report on the radio today said to NOT try to turn off the car but to mash on the brakes and put the car in neutral letting the motor rev and this will stop the car, HMMM???? I am confused? The people out in California that were killed that were recorded by 911 on the cell phone while the car was picking up speed could not do anything to slow the car down. It just kept picking up speed. The irony is the guy driving the car was a California Highway Patrolman. I would think he would have known what to do in this emergency but he could not do anything. Sounds like its more of a computer issue with speed sensors or something like. Yeah, I bet lots of people are real happy they bought that Japanese car now!!
Chas.

Wide OPEN throttle = NO Vacuum = NO power assist .... Turning off car ... = no power steering >>> UNLESS elec steering ... DO NOT THINK they are smart enough for that system yet ...
Lets not forget killing out children with lead tainted paint in TOYS....

Do you know how many companies today are foreign owned?? start looking, it will surprize you.

What, say to hell with a product made by a foreign owned company, but made/assembled by your next door neighbor, or best friend, or cousin from the midwest?? It puts food on their tables, too, or is that wrong thinking??
FF

I'm glad you brought this up. I don't give a rat's patootie where the profits go. The FACT is these "furrin" owned companies are employing THOUSANDS of American and Canadian workers through their factories, distribution network and dealerships. Go tell all those workers that their job should be terminated because the profits go overseas. And then tell them to buy a Mexican built Ram. Also, don't forget all the other jobs created because of these factories. Restaurants that open up in towns who's economy is booming. Shopping malls that spring up. Construction workers building the new stores and on and on.

But hey at least the 300, Charger, Challenger and Grand Caravan are made here in Canada (I'm Canadian, eh). Finally one of the worst vehicles I have ever owned is my current 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. Been at the dealer for warranty work more times than I can count and there's a list of things I need to fix that's a mile long. My local dealer has great deals on new 2010 Grand Caravans but I'm not sure if I want to give Dodge another chance. I'll have to wait and see.

Wylde1.

We have a 2009 Corolla and so far Toyota does not have a cure for the problem. Right now we`re on a waiting list. Oddly the Japanese built cars do not have the same problem. I hope that`ll help them come up with a quick and comprehensive fix.

Different parts suppliers in Japan and the US.

As far as the Firestone fiasco, the main culprit was the DRIVER. I saw more than one case where the tread came off, but the tire stll held air and the thing still rolled over...because the driver spiked the brakes and the 2 different traction platforms caused the thing to go sideways and then roll.

And the first thing they taught me in drivers ed was to NEVER hit the brakes if you blow a tire.
I blew a steer tire off a Freightliner (blew the entire tire off the rim) at 75 mph and did not crash.

Glad I never owned one,worked on a bunch though.Hopefully nobody else get's killed.

-
Back