Traction Bars?

-

JoeDust451

Reaction score
I'm sure some of you are laughing about this, but it has been proven that they do/will work, I'm looking at the Lakewoods, but the ones for the Mopars are 197.00 Yikes, just wondering if the Universal ones will work, is anyone running these bars? I'm wanting to do things on the cheap, some love pinion snubbers, others hate them & claim they don't work, i don't really like the hassle of SS springs & how they make the car sit.

They put un-do pressure on the front half of the spring, lay very low to the ground as well.

I see it this way, since a bud of mine can run his all steel Dart to 9.80 dead straight and quicker on stock OE slant 6 springs and T bars, what's the issue at hand for most suspension MODs?
OH, no pinion snubber. No traction bars. Lots-o-rubber and a away he goes.

They put un-do pressure on the front half of the spring, lay very low to the ground as well.

I see it this way, since a bud of mine can run his all steel Dart to 9.80 dead straight and quicker on stock OE slant 6 springs and T bars, what's the issue at hand for most suspension MODs?
OH, no pinion snubber. No traction bars. Lots-o-rubber and a away he goes.

BINGO! it seems that the design of traction bars just gets in the way of the inherent design of mopar springs, which work like a traction bar in a way...i say you dont even need SS springs either, just clamp the hell outta your front segments, unclamp the back clamps (or leave one if you want) and get some long shocks (if adjustable even better) and let er ride! im sure that can be done for probably well under 197 bucks lol

BINGO! it seems that the design of traction bars just gets in the way of the inherent design of mopar springs, which work like a traction bar in a way...

Yep, Mopar leaf springs are different than Brand X springs. The part of the springs in front of the axle is shorter than the section of springs behind the axle. Brand X leaf springs had the rear axle in the center of them.

My bud employed some tricks to his set up. It's not magic, just good thinking. His tires were 325/60-15's at first and then went larger and tubed the rear. His rear appeared to sit stock and fooled many lazy eyes.

Ok then, i'll clamp up these springs 1st., i already installed longer shocks, its just not planting the tires well.

Rumble, you did state in your 1st. reply that a bud of yours is going 9.80s with 6 cyl. springs AND T-Bars, then you said he has no snubber, no T-Bars & lots of rubber & away he goes, so does he or doesn't he run T-Bars?

BINGO! it seems that the design of traction bars just gets in the way of the inherent design of mopar springs, which work like a traction bar in a way...i say you dont even need SS springs either, just clamp the hell outta your front segments, unclamp the back clamps (or leave one if you want) and get some long shocks (if adjustable even better) and let er ride! im sure that can be done for probably well under 197 bucks lol

I was going to mention the age-old trick of removing the rear clamps but you beat me to it.

Also, Fish, back in the mid 1970s I had a 64 Dodge Polara 500 with a cammed 383, edelbrock intake, headers, beefed valve train, and a street/strip pressure plate and clutch disk. I went with L60-15 tires in the rear and got really good hook up with air shocks being the only mod to the rear suspension. I added air to the shocks just before entering the drag strip property and let it out to drive home after a night of racing. Ma Mopar gave plenty of room in the wheel wells to fit those big tires. I couldn't do the same thing on my 67 350 SS Camaro because the rear wells were not so spacious.

Ok then, i'll clamp up these springs 1st., i already installed longer shocks, its just not planting the tires well.

Rumble, you did state in your 1st. reply that a bud of yours is going 9.80s with 6 cyl. springs AND T-Bars, then you said he has no snubber, no T-Bars & lots of rubber & away he goes, so does he or doesn't he run T-Bars?

rumble meant that his buddy is using stock slant six torsion bars up front

i want to see if this new picture format works.

Dang it works!

100_0993.jpg

Nice car. She is looking good. I put S/S springs on my car. LOve them and they also get the Darts butt up off the ground. Dang tail dragers.

Don't know what direction i'll take just yet, but its looking like i'll have to spend $$$ either way.

Nice car. She is looking good. I put S/S springs on my car. LOve them and they also get the Darts butt up off the ground. Dang tail dragers.

Thanks, did you go with the 002/003s, what else did you need for the install, like shackles/front eye bracket? What shocks are you running up front?

Those are my home made SFCs!!

-3*, some say thats not enough, but they are stock springs, now i can see SS springs needing more, but i'm sure thats not the "main" issue at this point, its that theres too much rap up & the tires aren't planting do to theres no resistance on the springs or down force causeing the tires too "skate" if this makes sence.

I really don't mind "tail draggers", lifting the car in the *** just causes other issues like weight transfer issues, steering problems ( needing re-allignments), the way my car is sitting (fairly level), if i can just plant those tires some & get the front to jump up on the launch, its in the bag!! I know for sure i'm getting adj. front shocks & putting the battery in the trunk.

I just found out that the SS springs I installed in '87, and took off in '06, never put on the ground, are p3690265, and 66. A body 3000#, auto, 125 rate. Won't raise the rear so much .For sale, Jax Fl, rather have pick up, $100. that's a deal...and I keep skinning my shins on them.

I run th 02/03 springs. All I needed was a set of shakle bushings and they went right on. There is a member here who does not like the stink bug look either. LOL and thats cool. He runs the 02/03 too. What he did was flip his front spring hngers over and now his car is realy close to the stock ride height.

I would suggest using all 5 wheel studs first.

I was waiting for someone to catch that, i'm getting Moroso 3" studs, so i popped one out so the guys at the parts house would order the right one, they came in today, you got a good eye Jones lol.

I'm sure if you keep looking you'll find other stuff too, hopefully not lol

Here's my problem. My 68 Dart has brand X springs on it. Will clamping the front of the springs help it? Is there something else I should do to it? I have no traction to speak of.
Thanks,
Frank

Here's my problem. My 68 Dart has brand X springs on it. Will clamping the front of the springs help it? Is there something else I should do to it? I have no traction to speak of.
Thanks,
Frank

Hey Frank,

dont know if i can be of much help here...when you say brand x, you mean chevy or ford? because if you do, then that means the front segment is a different length possibly meaning your rearend is in a different position as well?? either way though, i would guess that traction bars would help here, but im not 100% sure...i know of chev guys who have had their leafs done like a super stock spring and they loved it, and that was on a chevy spring, not a mopar

sorry if im not much help

Hey Frank,

dont know if i can be of much help here...when you say brand x, you mean chevy or ford? because if you do, then that means the front segment is a different length possibly meaning your rearend is in a different position as well?? either way though, i would guess that traction bars would help here, but im not 100% sure...i know of chev guys who have had their leafs done like a super stock spring and they loved it, and that was on a chevy spring, not a mopar

sorry if im not much help

No, not Chevy or Ford. They are ebay springs. I believe they are JRS springs. Not sure what the difference is between those and oem springs would be.

-
Back