Traction woes.

-

aaronk785

Reaction score
Raced this weekend and 60 ft. times were off. Car is usually pretty consistent. Always hooks and goes straight. Times are always 1.47 to 1.49. This time 1.51 to 1.57 Car is a 70 challenger 3500# 440 and 3800 stall. 3300 s/s springs and no snubber. Ive ran with and without snubber makes no difference. Tires are mt 10.5 29.5 on 9 in. rims. After a race the tires are always pretty smooth. This time they look like someone took a cheese grader to them. Looks like the rubber is peeling off. Just the second race on the new slicks. Buddy said it looked like the car would bounce a little out of the hole. It has never done this before. I am open for suggestions any thoughts would be appreciated.

I had similar issues with my 60fts and ET,usually 1.44-1.46 60fts then the start of season 1.52-1.56 WTF? Was wondering if it was my new 10.5X29.5 slicks.I decided to remove my Trans pan for inspection and found metal shavings on my filter and in my pan.I took pics and showed my Trans builder and he said metal could only be from my verter(which was 5 yrs old and many passes)I swapped out my verter for exact same one.My 60 fts dropped back down to 1.40- 1.42 and knocked 2/10ths off my ET. Pic of pan. View attachment image.jpg

Could be the converter. Its around 8 yrs. old. Was told on here to go to an 8 inch so I might try that. Its a dynamic 9.5 been a real good converter probably go back with them or Ive heard good things about ptc. Money is tight right now probably run it again in two weeks and see what happens. Thanks for the replies and advice.

We just raced this last weekend and it was very hot here (98 degrees).
The track temp was around 150 degrees. The rubber was peeling off the track and sticking to the slicks making it look like what you describe.

They shut down the track for a while and scraped the old rubber off and put new rubber down. Fixed the problem.

Yes. The track had a lot of rubber chunks in the burnout area. More than usual. Thought nothing of it tell u mentioned it.

As far as the spring claps go, I would move them clamp away from the spring perch and much closer to the front spring eye were there are less spring layer and more flex. You will control the axle wind up much better there.

-
Back