trade my mopar for a pontiac??!!!

-

moturbopar

Reaction score
Well I am considering maybe trading my 69 barracuda for a 78 pontiac macho t/a. The car is #159 of 204 has 70,000 miles and is real real clean car. Has 400 with th400, factory t-tops factory a/c, car is all original with all the factory documents. I really like my barracuda, but Im thinking this car might be worth much more than my barracuda. Anybody here have any experiance with a macho TAs? Cant find much on values of these cars.
And if I do trade do I have to grow a mullet and wear a wife beater?:supz:

Me personally i would not do it but then again i don't like firebirds [except a 70 trans am].

Not sure if I would trade a Barracuda for it, but if it's real 400 Pontiac that does add to the value from what I've read.

I would only consider a few ponti's and a few Old's but that is about all I would trade for.

The Macho is a pretty rare car. One big question for me is how hard would it be for you to get another Cuda just like yours. If you could replace your fish pretty readily, then I'd do the trade because the Macho's are real hard to come by. Also, consider the condition of the Macho. Original #'s matching etc....Good luck with your decision.

MachoTA's were neat. A dude in town has 1. He also has a 73ish Formula 400 and a Bandit one too. All are super clean nice tight cars. I wont hold anything against them...but to trade it for a B'cuda? I dunno about that. There is alot more gen 2 f bodies than nice abody cudas. Im sure if you got a thing for Ta's you can still find one for bucks down prices.
Id hold on th the cuda.

Well I am considering maybe trading my 69 barracuda for a 78 pontiac macho t/a. The car is #159 of 204 has 70,000 miles and is real real clean car. Has 400 with th400, factory t-tops factory a/c, car is all original with all the factory documents. I really like my barracuda, but Im thinking this car might be worth much more than my barracuda. Anybody here have any experiance with a macho TAs? Cant find much on values of these cars.
And if I do trade do I have to grow a mullet and wear a wife beater?:supz:

Here's some info:

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2008/10/01/hmn_feature8.html

there are pontiacs id like to own, there are even a few id take over almost any mopar. but a t/a? nope. those are one of the ugliest cars ever. only way i would consider it if the barracuda was a pos and the t/a was as nice as you say.

Kinda weird to see this as i was just the other day considering trading my Dart for a bull-nose (78ish) Monte Carlo. Guess ive gone crazy!!! I say trade it if you like it.

thanks for the link, cool car for being a smogger. It might be safer in a crash also.

Its going to need lots of work to run well, 8 to 1 compression, lol but if your area has no smog test, heck turn it back to 1969 and give it 10 to 1 compression and a nice cam, headers and off you go. Those cars do pull high prices, I would never pay it, those were junk almost when new compare to the real muscle cars still around and they sold cheap in the late 80's but now they are in demand.

Just remember GM steering stinks, I would upgrade the steering box and go aftermarket

Two questions.
1. Do you like the car?
2. Is it a reasonable trade moneywise?

I remember the Machos. Killer little package for the time. If it's a good trade from a dollar perspective, you won't get hurt. Some folks would give you crap for it. I dunno, maybe they got molested at a "Smokey and the Bandit" movie.

WELL Macho's are rare....and they are nice, but they never reached nearly the same notoriety or performance level as the Royal Bobcat GTO, which is one of the reasons they are so rare. Macho cars were more or less an attempt to get past the emissions and horsepower limitations of the mid to late 70's. Because of the emissions & mileage standards, new cars could not be sold if they were modified...so the brothers Mechem? created Mechem performance and the cars were sold to the performance company and modified, THEN sold to the public. Because the cars had already been sold they were not considered as "new" even tho they had pretty much zero miles on them..... it was pretty much little better than a workaround to the government imposed limitations...... MID to LATE 70's cars ( meaning 74 - 79) ( yes even the mopars) are typically not worth all that much in pristine condition. There a few "Smokey & the Bandit" trans am's runnin around Detroit area and they draw MAYBE 5 - 8 k and that is only if they are drop dead spotless and pretty much perfect. 75 - 79 actual "muscle cars" were all but flat lined.....

You do what makes you happy that's what the hobby is all about...... but if you are doing it because you believe it is worth more than your fish.....think again!!! do a weee bit more homework..... you might be surprised!!! or maybe I should say disappointed?...either way do a lil more homework before you cross off the fish

my 2 centavo's

those second generation GM's are really growing in value- i'd like to find a mint 80-81 z-28 but there hard to find under 12K - my brother has a mint , immaculate 81 turbo black/gold interior thats appraised at 20K .those machos are pretty rare and the prices are definately on the rise - if you like it - get it

If you dig it Dude then pull the trigger! simple as that. I do dig that you asked for permission! =D>

These are really more rare than 1 in 200 because each one was allowed to request different Mods Such as color choices and the Imron Painted Graphics option. Have you seen the Paperwork for it??? It could be a one off. Either way, as stated above, It is recommended to do some serious homework b4 deciding.

We used to own DKM #17.....77 400 4-spd, white w/ gold interior, AC, PW

Fun car......dang, another one that got away :sad6:

Do what makes 'ya happy and don't worry about what others say :happy1:

Guys I think I have to disagree with some of the prices that are being thrown around. Believe me I love 2nd generation Darts and Barracudas but there is some value to the later model Trans ams if they are the right optioned cars and 4 speeds usually always bring more. Someone said about 8K for a 78 Bandit Firebird with the 400 and a 4 speed. If the car is a low mile original or nice resto you tell me where there is one for 8K and I'll buy everyone around and sell them all and should have no problem just about doubling my money. What do you guys think?

Im still not sure about the trade. I really like my barracuda, but this macho TA is in better shape. needs paint to be real nice, the paint is faded. Interior is perfect, 70k ac works. The appraisal on the T/A was 15k, i figure my car to be less than that.

-
Back