Trailer tires or LT truck tires for car hauler

-

72golddustermike

Reaction score
I am going to replace my open car hauler tires before a 9 hour drive on the interstate to pick up my challenger. What would be best trailer tires or can I use LT truck tires currently has LT truck tires on it farthest we have hauled is about 4 hopurs one way two weeks ago to pick up a cuda. I know with the st tires they say speed should not exceed 65 mph. Anyone with real world experience please give me some advice.

ive used everything even p series tires...never had a problem as long as tire is in decent shape

Open trailer, LT tires are fine.
Enclosed trailer with other stuff on board, Load range E trailer tires only.

It's all about the weight.

You had better check local laws very carefully, you could be setting your self up for a large lawsuit if you get in an accident with LT tires on the trailer.
Also check with your insurance company if they will even cover a trailer with LT tires.

Light truck tires and Trailer tires are similar, and different. They both hold up the weight given they are rated the same, BUT trailer tires have the shoulder built different to hold up under the scruffing you get from being turned and drug sideways, Trucks dont see this kind of wear. Truck tires or LT tires are built to withstand the torque applied to the drive tires. Both will work. IMO you can get a Trailer tire for less money then a LT with the same or better ratings. I have puled every kind of trailer for most of my life. Used both with the same success.

Purchase trailer tires they are made for trailers the sidewalls are constructed heavier than vehicle tires to withstand the weight and stress during turns, many have used car/truck tires with no issues [my self included] but there is always a chance for failure and an accident. I have been in the Marine trailer business for 19 years and the RV business before that and owned a hotshot transport business in between. Just make sure you purchase name brand trailer tires some of the brands out there are not so good!!!

X2 buy quality trailer tires.
Also I have found that if you cut some 2x12 boards and park the tires on it while sitting, the tires will last alot longer.

I pull a lot of trailers with large generators on them and always scrap the trailer tires that come with them for lt tries. Trailer tires usually have a 70 mph rating and even at that speed with extended driving I had many come apart. Haven't had that issue since going to the LT tires.

Tires coming apart are mostly caused by tire pressure or axle alignment issues.

Rotten tires will come apart easily.

That said, An ST rated tire has a diminished speed rating as opposed to a passenger or an LT tire. I've seen some ST tires as high as 88 mph and I think Goodyear & Marathon have a/their tire designed to operate from 65 mph to 75 mph by inflating the tire by 10 psi<iirc>. Also a few years back I inquired to one of my tire suppliers as to what all were the differences between passenger & St tires! I was told that the ST tires had an additional compound in the tire construction to resist UV ray degradation...because of a trailers purported "dormancy"...and sitting in the Sun.

An ST tire that is a Bias tire versus a Radial has a stiffer side wall that won't roll as much as a radial.

Race the car on the track at high speeds, not on the trailer being towed!!

65mph on a trailer on a freeway is pushing common sense IMHO.

How fast can I travel on Carlisle trailer tires?
In the past, most trailer tires were rated at 62 or 65 mph. Today, some of our tires are "rated" (speed symbols) at 87 mph (N), some at 75 mph (L), some at 65 mph (J: ST tires) and some at 62 mph (J: non-metric tires).

Please remember that speed ratings are test speeds and not recommended driving speeds. The ratings apply only to the tire itself, and not a particular vehicle. The speed rating does not mean that the vehicle can be safely operated at the tire's rated speed.

We recommend driving no more than 60 mph when towing a trailer. Please always drive at a safe speed and abide by the posted speed limit.

From http://www.carlisletransportationproducts.com/about-us/faq

Bought Goodyear trailer tires for my enclosed car hauler and always check pressure before a trip. $600 in 2011

My open trailer bought a cheap set of trailer tires, $300 mounted last year. The trailer doesn't see long distance, since the truck tires that was on it when we got it lasted as long as they did, figured I would chance the cheapy tires. Mainly haul mower, skid steer of just junk

I would buy the correct tire for a long trip. The worst thing would be to loose the car, trailer and tow vehicle due to a bad tire

Also don't drive fast, might save a few minutes, might cost you your life. Just not worth it.

I pull a lot of trailers with large generators on them and always scrap the trailer tires that come with them for lt tries. Trailer tires usually have a 70 mph rating and even at that speed with extended driving I had many come apart. Haven't had that issue since going to the LT tires.

amen.

and repack your trailer bearing if you dont have bearing buddies... hate seeing people forget only to lose a wheel or eat up a spindle..

Lt tires are ok on a trAiler at 90% of rated weight, iirc. That was from the DOT last time I checked.

Bought Goodyear trailer tires for my enclosed car hauler and always check pressure before a trip. $600 in 2011

My open trailer bought a cheap set of trailer tires, $300 mounted last year. The trailer doesn't see long distance, since the truck tires that was on it when we got it lasted as long as they did, figured I would chance the cheapy tires. Mainly haul mower, skid steer of just junk

I would buy the correct tire for a long trip. The worst thing would be to loose the car, trailer and tow vehicle due to a bad tire

Also don't drive fast, might save a few minutes, might cost you your life. Just not worth it.

no. the worst thing is you could could kill someone because of a bad tire.

I have tires over rated for the weight I pull.I won't have any worries.Got tired of blow outs and tearing up mt trailer fenders

if you are going to put them on a trailer, LT's are fine as long as they are a 10 ply rating. I don't run anything other than a 10 ply rating on my truck or a trailer I am hauling with. They will give you the speed and weight capacity.

around here if you look at the right places, new ST tires will be cheaper than LT tires. like they said, correct tire pressure and having tires not dry rotted is the key.

You had better check local laws very carefully, you could be setting your self up for a large lawsuit if you get in an accident with LT tires on the trailer.
Also check with your insurance company if they will even cover a trailer with LT tires.

The most common sense answer in the bunch.

If you're traveling across state lines and a cop just happens to want to a do a check... well, then, if you're running tires that aren't DOT approved for the application you could be setting yourself up for a nice fat fine, too.

Considering the lawsuit aspect of it, too, I worked for a couple of tire shops that wouldn't mount anything on a trailer except for what the trailer called for. So there's that, too.

I have been all over the country with different kinds of trailers, most of them ratty. Have been pulled over several time for different things, NEVER had anyone say, "You have the wrong kind of tire on you trailer." IMO, saying a law enforcement officer would say something is just stupid.

-
Back