trailer towing package

-

shanson30

Reaction score
trailer towing option on a 70 dart. does anybody know details about the drum brakes on these cars?

I'll take a stab....What do you need to know? I would assume standard 10" drum brakes all around. Disc optional on front. Could have 7.25 or 8.75 rear-end.

my 70 dart had a factory trailer towing package. 225 slant six, 10 manual drum brakes all the way around, and an 8 3/4 rear!

I had no idea that it could come stock, my car had a hitch and I had it taken off, kinda seemed stupid to be driving around a 67 cuda with a ball on the bumper

My '70 Dart Swinger with the "Towing Package" was a Slant 6, 904, 8-3/4, and KH Disc with 10 in rear drums. I bought the car from the original owner that happened to own the Dealership when he ordered the car. He was VERY disapointed with the towing ability of it and replaced it with a different MOPAR with a BIG V-8 in it.

I have hitches on all my A Bodies so I can drag my 4 X 8 Utility Trailer around and ocasionally flat tow another car.

Later,
Bruce B.

Thanks for the info! now i'm thinking 8 3/4 sure grip? that would be cool. But my question is about the front brakes. don't have a tape but the drums look about 3 " wide and i was thinking about swapping them to a demon. good idea or wasting time? what do you think? THANKS!

Our FM3 70 Dart had a nice hitch, I took it off. The car is a 318 with an 8 3/4 rear, anyone have a "tow package" code for this? I still have the hitch.

I want to put a hitch on my 68 newport I bet it would tow my car trailer better then my 04 f-150 lol

Thanks for the info! now i'm thinking 8 3/4 sure grip? that would be cool. But my question is about the front brakes. don't have a tape but the drums look about 3 " wide and i was thinking about swapping them to a demon. good idea or wasting time? what do you think? THANKS!

If you're going to the trouble of swapping brakes around, I'd look for a set of discs, either '67-'72 KH's (small bolt) or the '73-'76 single pistons. The 73-76's will be big bolt pattern,though.

-
Back