Tranny wont come out of park!

-

MoreDart

Reaction score
Im not sure what the problem is, but my 71 swinger with a 318/ either a 727 or 904 transmission wont come out of park unless I roll the car back and/or forth. I checked the linkage and it was all tight, and when I do get the car in gear it shifts smooth, anyone know what the problem is?:wack:

Either the car is parked on a steep hill, or the linkage is out of adjustment.

Either the car is parked on a steep hill, or the linkage is out of adjustment.

well i checked all the linkage and its tight all the way to the tranny, even on the rack it seems tight. the car is parked on a level plane as well. is there an area that the linkage could be out of wack that would cause this? to my knowledge its only rack to under the headders, then to the trans where you have a locking screw there.

well i checked all the linkage and its tight all the way to the tranny, even on the rack it seems tight. the car is parked on a level plane as well. is there an area that the linkage could be out of wack that would cause this? to my knowledge its only rack to under the headders, then to the trans where you have a locking screw there.

Tight as in really tight?
It should have a little slop in it......
Get a Factory service manual and adjust it from there.
The linkage is factory, right?

I had my wife sit in the car and try to get it out of park, and i was checking all the linkage as she was doing it. it all seemed to function correctly with the exception of being...correct. its not REALLY tight but there is a slight play around the transmission. linkage is factory, on the rack there is still the original cotter pin holding it together.

it comes straight out of park if i roll the car either back/forward +/- 6 inches.. the park also doesnt work. if it was on a hill it would roll straight down in "park"

if you cant get it, have your assistant stand on the brake pedal , climb under there and take the shifter rod off, and see if you can shift it by hand. that way you will know if it is in trans or the shifter.just a thought

Sound like the problem is in valvebody -with the park rod. It comes off the side if the valvebody and goes to the tailshaft where the park gear is. Drop the pan and see if you can move it freely by hand with the shift linkage off. I had the part that hold the rod in the tail shaft come loose on my 727 and it would not come out of gear. It looks like a half moon ball it a roll pin in it.

like stated above the shifter linkage is out of adjustment. there is adjustment on the rod before it hooks to the transmission have someone find you the page in the factory service manual that shows how to adjust it or take it to someone reputable who can, at most the shop will charge a half hour labour to adjust it if there not a crooked shop

I'll take a look at it tomorrow and let you all know, I am pulling 24 hour duty right now- hating life.

As mentioned, if the outside linkage is lubed and adjusted correctly, it's probably a problem with linkage or parking pawl inside the transmission. I've seen it happen to transmissions that have been slammed in park while the car was moving. On a related note, if you park on a hill, apply the e-brake firmly before you lift your foot off the brake pedal after you put it in park. It'll make it much easier to shift into gear if the car isn't leaning hard on the parking pawl.

i think he has more problems cause it wont hold in park either!

-
Back