Trans Am Race Engineering Superlite 17x8 - now available with a useful backspace?

-
I'm contemplating an upgrade again.

Based on @72bluNblu 's comments (from back in July) it seems like the fitment of 17x8s in regards to the tie rods depends a lot on the particular wheel design...and so far, it's unconfirmed as to any issues with these wheels. Has anyone tried these wheels yet?

In general, how often would a 5.5" backspace 17x8 have problems? I have some difficulty envisioning how it would hit...but I may try out one of my 17" WRX wheels (same bolt pattern) just to see where the problems are. :D

Tie rod and A—arm.

A arm may hit when fully jacked up. So the height of the UCA bumper may help/fix that. If only hits just when at max droop, shouldn’t be a problem.

I'm contemplating an upgrade again.

Based on @72bluNblu 's comments (from back in July) it seems like the fitment of 17x8s in regards to the tie rods depends a lot on the particular wheel design...and so far, it's unconfirmed as to any issues with these wheels. Has anyone tried these wheels yet?

In general, how often would a 5.5" backspace 17x8 have problems? I have some difficulty envisioning how it would hit...but I may try out one of my 17" WRX wheels (same bolt pattern) just to see where the problems are. :D

A 17x8 with 5.5” of backspace should clear just fine most of the time. Usually the limit is around 5.6”-5.7” for the tie rods with a 17x8.

But you can’t get the super lite wheels from Trans Am engineering or Team III with those specs.

Tie rod and A—arm.

A arm may hit when fully jacked up. So the height of the UCA bumper may help/fix that. If only hits just when at max droop, shouldn’t be a problem.

Yeah I don’t think I’d be running wheels that can hit the suspension at full droop. Yeah sure it’s not super likely to happen that you have the wheels cranked to steering lock at the same time you fully unload the suspension, but wouldn’t it be a pain in the *** if the wheel stopped spinning at that moment too?

A 17x8 with 5.5” of backspace should clear just fine most of the time. Usually the limit is around 5.6”-5.7” for the tie rods with a 17x8.

But you can’t get the super lite wheels from Trans Am engineering or Team III with those specs.

This is encouraging.
Summit, etc. seem to only carry 17x8 0mm offset I contacted the company directly and they said that the provide custom backspacing and that was the max they could offer.

-
Back