Trans cooler lines to Rad

-

Muswagon

Reaction score
What are you guys doing for cooler lines? Mine has nada. I ordered a set from Right Stuff for a 71 A body, 340 with 727, and no way will they work with headers...or at all it seems.

Had read somewhere else that a set for B/E with same combo would work, they look like this

rsd-etc7001.jpg

Thought about making my own, local hot rod parts place as 5/16 line available and I have a flare tool that would work, but he threw me off when he said just use rubber hoses to bridge gaps and such.

Thoughts?

Those should be inverted flare on both ends. Brake line should work fine. What size are they? 3/8" or close I am guessing.

Yes, that part I have covered as far as inverted flare and such, I believe they are 5/16.

I guess my question is do you guys make your own, or did you buy pre made? If you bought pre made, which kit?

I am running a 360 with 727, champion rad with factory cooling line fittings/positions

Yes, that part I have covered as far as inverted flare and such, I believe they are 5/16.

I guess my question is do you guys make your own, or did you buy pre made? If you bought pre made, which kit?

I am running a 360 with 727, champion rad with factory cooling line fittings/positions

Any of the aftermarket/reop line kits will be copies of the oem lines. If the kit you got was correct for your car, of course it won't work with a aftermarket radiator and headers. That's why I suggested you make your own.

I am surprised you can't just bend them to clear the headers. Use a tube bending tool to avoid crimping. I recently bought a set of lines for a small block/904 and they basically fit fine, just needed a little persuasion to give adequate clearance around the starter and my aftermarket sway bar, so as not to rattle. The ones I bought for my slant six fit perfect, just hard to install because of the wacky way they route around the motor mount.

I have seen lots of installations where people resorted to rubber hoses. I have also seen one of those blow out on the street and dump all the tranny fluid. At a minimum I would flare the cut ends to give the hose clamps something to hold onto.

What are you guys doing for cooler lines? Mine has nada. I ordered a set from Right Stuff for a 71 A body, 340 with 727, and no way will they work with headers...or at all it seems.

Had read somewhere else that a set for B/E with same combo would work, they look like this

View attachment 1715790101

Thought about making my own, local hot rod parts place as 5/16 line available and I have a flare tool that would work, but he threw me off when he said just use rubber hoses to bridge gaps and such.

Thoughts?
You have what you need to make your own. If you have the engine and transmission in place you can make each one in two pieces using fittings to join them together. I would not rely on rubber tubing as a permanent fix. Also if you use a rubber type hose temporarily, make sure it is rated for tranny fluid. Otherwise, transmission fluid will eat away at a regular rubber hose and start to flake off and end up in your transmission.

I bent up some Cu-Ni tubing and flared it for -AN fittings. Then I used braided hose (the black Kevlar type) to connect to trans and cooler. Cu-Ni bends up easily and flares nicely. The braided hose allows for some movement of the drivetrain. Seems to work well.

I just installed a rebuild 46re in my 02 Ram 2500 with stainless braided hose and JIC / AN fittings. Was cheaper than buying the stock replacement lines.

I like the hydraulic hose idea. If you use the 4 wire instead of the two wire, they'll still be there when your corpse is rotted in the ground. A little stiff to work with, and a little higher than the two wire, but man that stuff's TOUGH. I have a short section of it that connects my small shop compressor to my air hose reel. It ain't goin anywhere. lol

View attachment 1715790101

Thoughts?

they are 5/16 lines.. should fit with headers. just have to tweak them some.. probably a lot easier pulling the headers out and going from there.

I like the hydraulic hose idea. If you use the 4 wire instead of the two wire, they'll still be there when your corpse is rotted in the ground. A little stiff to work with, and a little higher than the two wire, but man that stuff's TOUGH. I have a short section of it that connects my small shop compressor to my air hose reel. It ain't goin anywhere. lol

we have a hyd. hose place here in tulsa , that can put together anything , they do most of the specialty industrial hose stuff for anything.
always useed 3/8'' on my stuff----

-
Back