trans coolers

-

rod7515

Reaction score
Was wondering how many are using a trans cooler. What brand it is and how do you have it plumbed in.
Thanks
Rod

Bad Sport, thanks for the reply. I installed a cooler on my Vette very similar to that, I run a 3000 stall converter. My trans temp runs around 190 in town but goes up to 210 on the highway. I monitor the trans temp very closely as I believe excessive heat does more harm to the trans than people realize. Ive already bought a gauge for the trans and cut the mounting hole in my dash for it. Had a bung welded into the 904 pan for the sensor. Can I ask what temp your trans runs at?
Thanks
Rod

i installed a 5 x 12 plate style (not through the rad).
'70 340 with forged pistons that are above the deck by about .022 ( 9.4:1 ) and a 9.5 converter.
i rarely see it over 160 degrees which most say is too cool.
Sean at Dynamic said the 9.5 converter they build will run almost as tight as stock under normal conditions.Mine will flash to about 3200.
so far all is well!

ir, how and where do you have it mounted?
I would like to have one but don't have enough room between the radiator, a/c condenser and grill on my '72 Duster.
C

put it outside the radiator behind the grill push the tie strapps thru it use 6 if you have to it will hold, and kewl fine , take 12 tie strapps , shove 1 all the way threw then cut the lock off another 1 and push it on tight level , repete until satisfied . GL if you don't like that idea go to orilies and get the round tie strapps same , same

ir, how and where do you have it mounted?
I would like to have one but don't have enough room between the radiator, a/c condenser and grill on my '72 Duster.
C

..installed vertically beside the rad behind the grill
'70 duster

just went out and took this
...hope this loads

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 310
Besides the one in the radiator I run one in front of the radiator but not touching it and also a cooling transmission pan

Attachments

• Derale%20Dodge%20Pan.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 273
Thanks ir, I will have another look and see if I might squeeze one in there somewhere.
C

Besides the one in the radiator I run one in front of the radiator but not touching it and also a cooling transmission pan

This type of pan is not really worth the money charged for them. It picks up hot air off the pavement, and with the hot air going through the tubes, little if any cooling of the oil results.
Best transmission cooler on the market is made by Long Manufacturing, it is the stacked aluminium style. While it is sold under many names (B&M, TRU-COOL and others) it is still made by Long.

I run 2 of those waffle looking trans coolers side by side in front of the rad but not touching. They are both mounted on a bracket top and bottom.
My transmission temperature gauge is under the dash and the sending unit goes to the line comming out of the tranny instead of the line going in. Don't need to know what temp the already cooled fluid is. Keep lines away from headers. My gauge shows about what yours does...170 cruising around and 210 if I run it hard on a hot day.

Bought mine at O'rielly's don't remember the brand name but I got the largest one that would fit behind my grill. I also installed a temp gage and it stays well below 200 degrees all the time. I live in a very hot and humid climate (above 95 degrees most of the year).
Plumbed from tranny to radiator then to cooler then back to tranny.
treblig

Attachments

• DSC02196.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 227
  • DSC02194.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 227
  • DSC02193.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 238
  • DSC02192.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 238
  • DSC02187.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 271
  • DSC02183.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 289
treblig, whats on the other side with the fan on it?

treblig, whats on the other side with the fan on it?

That's just an electric fan to help out the stock fan for when I turn on the AC. It's mounted up against the AC condenser. It runs off of relays under the hood so there's no extra load on the cabin fuse box.

Treblig

This type of pan is not really worth the money charged for them. It picks up hot air off the pavement, and with the hot air going through the tubes, little if any cooling of the oil results.
Best transmission cooler on the market is made by Long Manufacturing, it is the stacked aluminium style. While it is sold under many names (B&M, TRU-COOL and others) it is still made by Long.

been running it on my transmission for 20+ years with no problems at all and it has a 3500 stall converter

Nice system you have worked out there Treblig.

Thanks Duster, I forgot to mention that I'm running a 2004R and the larger 5/16 lines for more flow. I found that the Mopar trans lines are pretty small and the fitting are very restrictive. I swapped out the fittings on the radiator so they wouldn't restrict flow also. I have a moderate stall convertor (1800 stall) and 3.73 gears.

treblig

Attachments

• DSC03289.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 240
  • DSC03290.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 239
I got mine at a scrap yard out of a mid 90's Dodge van with HD Towing package.

Quick zipped it in. Ran it in line with the lines going to the radiator from the tranny. Works flawlessly. Tranny cooler is one of the simplest mods there are. Most logical too

I got mine at a scrap yard out of a mid 90's Dodge van with HD Towing package.

Quick zipped it in. Ran it in line with the lines going to the radiator from the tranny. Works flawlessly. Tranny cooler is one of the simplest mods there are. Most logical too

Now that's a good idea, those things never really wear out. I imagine you could get a pretty big one for very little money and it would cool as good as a new one.

Treblig

There is a better design, but for a lot more money. Made by Setrab and formerly (& maybe still) by Harrison. It has normal radiator fins between each pair of stacked plates.
http://www.batinc.net/images/Cooler.GIF
BAT-Mocal is one source for them.
http://www.batinc.net/coolers.htm
Baker is another.
http://www.bakerprecision.com/setrab.htm
Pegasus Racing is a third option.
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/advcat.asp?CategoryID=SETRAB

FWIW I prefer to put the aux cooler in front of the radiator. The way that I would plumb an aux cooler (& have set-up to do on the FJ-60's engine swap) is before the radiator cooler unless a thermostat is used, then I would put the aux cooler after the radiator. My reasoning is this: The radiator cooler will drive the trans to warm up faster when cold or cold outside so put it last in the system so that it can do that. Let the aux cooler dump as much heat as it can, and then let the radiator cooler moderate the trans temperature.

With a thermostatically controlled aux cooler the radiator can still do the moderation job, and the aux cooler can still do it's job but only when needed - it will be by-passed when not needed. The advantage of such a system is that you won't be working the ATF itself as hard with all of the large changes in temperature. FWIW I see the trans as a fixed thing and the fluid as a consumable.

Want to be very careful with JY sourced coolers. They could have just lost the trans and that resulted in the car being there in the first place. Most that I find I use, after a LOT of flushing/cleaning, as power steering coolers on my off highway vehicles because I view them as being too small to be worth much to the trans. Then again, my now normal aux trans cooler is an 11"X11" stacked plate cooler.

-
Back