Trans fluid $$$???

-
Type F is about $6. at Walmart.
Does anyone know where to buy it cheaper?
We have 10 race cars all with aluminum speciality
internal Drums etc. and need to change them all every
20 runs to get the aluminum flakes out.
The brand does not seem to make any difference anymore!

i would run it through a 2 micron diesel fuel filter like a Racor and reuse it .

Yes you can run hydraulic oil in a transmission. Race guys have been doing it for years. It will tighten the converter up about 2-300rpm and it WILL shift harder. You have to make sure you buy the stuff for wet brakes hydrostatics etc. John Deere hy-gard is good. They make 2 different ones. A normal viscosity and low viscosity. Both work great. Hy-Guard is actually better than trans fluid as it can get to like 400 deg before it burns. And it doesn’t foam.

Many moons ago, in a different generation, whilst I was an aircraft mech in the Navy, We ran Aviation Hydraulic Fluid in our trannys. It came in red 1-gal cans, and looked just like tranny fluid. Seemed to work alright.

ole man Dave

Anyone buy ATF+4 lately? I used to complain at Walmart $4.77/quart. But today I had to get a case and goddam... $11 per QUART? A case of ATF+4, a filter and tax cost me $157 this morning. $12 and some was tax, also ridiculous. That's Illinois for ya though.this is an 01, takes that plastic encased style filter not the open/exposed style that I have at least 6of, sitting here.
When did they stay adding gold dust to that shyt?
And to say I have about 30 CASES of type F that I can't get any bites on via CL for 20/case.... Only a couple of tire kickers that give me nothing but drama and excuses why they can't make it here this time.... What would it have hurt to filll a fresh, dry 46RE with type F? I even blew down the coolers with a few cans of that "kooler kleen" and a 150 shot of compressed air afterwards so it was bone dry.
ikr i just purchase some from auto with my friends discout still 10.00 a quart

Perhaps this price will make you feel better :)

IMG_1824.jpeg

Years ago when synthetic first came out and it was very expensive, (Amsoil I think) guys would have 2 oil changes. They would change the oil
Then let the oil they drained sit in a bucket until time for the next oil change. Pour off the top part of the bucket and add a quart or two as needed to fill the motor. Then the removed oil went thru the seperation sitting agin.

I just did fluid and filters in my RE68 behind my 6.7 diesel.
Let it drain over night I went thru 8.5 quarts of Dex +4 with my discount at Dodge dealer I got it for $11 per quart.
Still cheaper than rebuilding the trans.
Ain't that the truth.

-
Back