Trans going back into car questions

-
Pour a quart or so into the converter, pour slowly. Then install it onto the input shaft, and then install the transmission to the engine.

You will need to fill the transmission with about 4 quarts and be ready to go with additional fluid once you start the engine.

Last edited:
You can prime the converter,, a Lil if ya want to. You have to get the converter locked into the pump Drive of the transmission (it's 2 clicks) before mating to the bellhousing. I use a Lil blue locktite on those and the flexplate bolts. I also like a Torque wrench on a lotta stuff. Like the flexplate... if you can get one on the converter I'd do that too

You can prime the converter,, a Lil if ya want to. You have to get the converter locked into the pump Drive of the transmission (it's 2 clicks) before mating to the bellhousing. I use a Lil blue locktite on those and the flexplate bolts. I also like a Torque wrench on a lotta stuff. Like the flexplate... if you can get one on the converter I'd do that too
Okay I have a torque wrench so I will use it as much as possible.

I've really never used one on the bellhousing bolts but on critical stuff (like front end stuff, anything that rotates, parts of your engine, stuff like that) I use 'em things as much as possible

I put it in and heard two clicks and rotating the tc is not rotating the output shaft
You will have to spin it about 600rpm or more and have the trans full of fluid!

There is no direct connection between input and output like on a manual.

I load the converter on the bench in a drain pan with it standing up and fill until it starts to pour out leaning,
I like to mark the flexplate and converter in thier proper place then just carefully install in the tranny.
Then drop block in.
I prefer to install trans first then converter.
It’s easier and less risk of damaging the front seal in the trans.

Just wondering do I have to refill the torque converter when I put it back into the car? And can I put it in separate from the transmission
Is the the engine is in the car???

If the engine is in the car you might want to use some bailing wire to keep the TQ in place while you wrestle it under the car and into place.

I have heard of people dropping the TQ out the front of the trans from 6 feet up.

If the engine is not in the car I agree with Quinn

(A bit hard to do if the engine is in the car :poke::rolleyes:
I prefer to install trans first then converter.
It’s easier and less risk of damaging the front seal in the trans

I generally use two arms/hands and my leg to move/wrestle the jack and trans.

...while my other leg is pressed against "something" for leverage, lol.

Hope it goes well, it's a sense of accomplishment when it slides in all the way to the bell housing.

...while my other leg is pressed against "something" for leverage, lol.

Hope it goes well, it's a sense of accomplishment when it slides in all the way to the bell housing.
Is the the engine is in the car???

If the engine is in the car you might want to use some bailing wire to keep the TQ in place while you wrestle it under the car and into place.

I have heard of people dropping the TQ out the front of the trans from 6 feet up.

If the engine is not in the car I agree with Quinn

(A bit hard to do if the engine is in the car :poke::rolleyes:
Engine is in the car and trans is under all it needs is to be picked up.

Just wrestle the trans onto the jack. I have used a block of wood to level it some, then slowly jack it up until you get it where you need.

When I worked at a shop many years ago we had a trans jack. They are gold, but I don't need to do it enough to justify buying one.

While an automatic is much heavier than a manual.,..

I used to put the manual on my thighs near my knees.

I would bend my knees to lift the trans up and into the bellhousing.

it gave me a lot of control and angle control.

I was in my 20s then.

Back in the day when I did that by myself, I lifted the trans on two 2x6s long enough to extend out past the doors, I worked the boards up with bricks and shimmed the trans to get the right angle.

Sometimes I would tie ropes all the way around the car through the windows to keep the trans from falling.

Poor teenagers had poor ways back then….

My poor man's trans jack. A piece of plywood with a lip on it that I bolt to my floor jack's saddle. Set the trans on it and jack it into place. Works remarkably well!
20201112_115015.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back