Trans looks overfull after parked

-

rick1062

Reaction score
Hi all,

We are working on a 1965 Barracuda, 273, 904 auto.

It seems like after it is parked a few days, the trans level actually increases. If I check it without starting the engine, it will be far above the full mark. But, after starting it up for a few minutes, the level looks normal again. Is it common for the torque converter to drain back to the trans so it appears over full, then after starting, it is pumped back into the converter which makes the trans oil level read correctly again?

Thanks to all,

Rick

Auto transmissions should be checked warm, level surface, and in neutral or park depending on the manufacturer. I believe your 904 should be checked in neutral. They always look overfilled when checked cold.

yes...the torqueflite converter will drain back into the pan..
check it in neutral ...engine running on level ground and at operating temp.

never check the trans fuild level in "P". in a stock form chrysler trans do NOT run the fluid throu the cooler in "P". the best way to check the fluid level is to run the engine to temp and run the trans throu all the gears first. then put the trans in "N" then check the level. BUT the company TRANS_GO has spools to mod this to get full fluid flow in "P".

never check the trans fuild level in "P". in a stock form chrysler trans do NOT run the fluid throu the cooler in "P". the best way to check the fluid level is to run the engine to temp and run the trans throu all the gears first. then put the trans in "N" then check the level. BUT the company TRANS_GO has spools to mod this to get full fluid flow in "P".

This is the FSM method and it always seems to give me an accurate reading.

and you might find this interesting. when you put the lever in "D" the trans in in low chrysler calls it breakaway, the trans does NOT have deceleration breaking. if you put the lever into low, "L" same gear ratio, but it has deceleration breaking, like going down hill. that band is used for rev and low decel breaking, "L" but not in breakaway, "D" allso if the rev band has some ware and it bangs hard, going into "R" straight. try pulling the lever all the way to "L" first this loads the servo with 100-159 psi. then go to "R" that loads it to 300 psi. this gives you less high psi load on the band.

Guys, hes not asking how to check the oil, only if its normal for the TC to drain back over a couple of days time. Lots of good info here, but it seems we lost sight of the OPs question(s)?

I tried to word it as friendly as I knew how.
Its just that the OP hasnt once come back in what? 2 days?
And my name aint Francis.
I mean; my name isnt Francis, lol. Hows that? Should I tie some balloons to it? lol I know theres emoticons around here some where. Lets see......Nope no ballons, sorry
Im not real good at humor. My wife has hammered that into me forever.

i have only two factory service manuals that i can get to at the moment. a 2001 dakota, and a 1967 dart / charger. the dakota diagram of the trans circuits are hard to read. but can not see a anti- drain back valve. but that does not mean it doesnt have one. it might be built into a spool? the 67 dart manual does not show a anti- drain back valve. but in the old days i dont remember it being a trouble back then. but my dads 1982 ram did have that trouble. but call these guys http://www.areds.com/........they can answer any Q. i have known them since the late 60s.

Moe, you are right. Large error in my recall.
-The anti-drainback feature is part of the T.C. control valve, Which also allows line pressure into the TC at start-up.
- The checkvalve I was thinking about was the 3/8 " high-pressure relief ball.
-The valve cant prevent drainback forever. After all, its just a slip-fit in its bore. Sooner or the ATF will leak past it.
-However, upon reviewing the circuit diagrams, I doubt its a valve issue. More than likely its a seal-ring problem,somewhere in the TC charging circuit.
-All in all, I suppose thats why Mopar specifies the level checking procedure. engine-running,trans in N, park-brake engaged.
-I had a slanty once, that would drain the TC overnight. Just gave it a sec, in the AM. Ran like that for years.

thanks AJ i didnt know it was part of TC control valve. but makes since, where eles would it be? some times chrysler leaves details out. my 01 dakota didnt have a check valve in the cooler line. i had my mech check that. i really should not talk to much about trans as i am NOT a trans expert. i have NEVER rebuilt one. i have done a few Trans-Go shift kits. but i find the chrysler factory service manuals fun to read. i hope you dont think this is strange. but my dad and i would read service manuals just for fun.

-
Back