trans mount for 0500 swap

-

ike61

Reaction score
what are you guys using for a trans mount for a 0500/0518 swap in a 76 Dart?

if you dont have the plate that bolts to the bottom of the trans (triangle shape) you need to get it thru a dealer, then buy a mount and go from there...

just had to make one for the 46 dodge

You have to build your own. Use the search function and you'll find numerous threads about an OD swap. some have pics.

From what I've read, the trans mount is the least of the problems in installing either of these overdrive transmisions into an A Body.

The overdrive unit is located inside the tailshaft housing, and is large enough in diameter, that it won't fit without a considerable amount of floorboard surgery. I don't think there's a problem otherwise; just the tailshaft housing being too big to fit.

To be sure, building a new crossmember/transmission mount is a job to be reckoned with, but IMHO, the floorboard surgery would be more difficult, and patching it up, afterwards.

I have a 518 in my '93 Dakota 318, and would love to have one in my '72 Valiant, but I don't think I'm up to it... :angry2:

Good luck!!!

if you dont have the plate that bolts to the bottom of the trans (triangle shape) you need to get it thru a dealer, then buy a mount and go from there...

just had to make one for the 46 dodge

I have the trans plate. thats my question, what mount do I buy?

Sorry Ike, I think I misunderstood your question. I took it that you were needing to know what crossmember to use. No idea on the mount. sorry I'm no help.

I read somewhere that a trans mount from a GM van works. It's barely 1 inch tall which helps get the correct drive shaft alignment without hanging too low.

And Bill, If you decide to sell that Dakota , give me a shout.

i started with a gm universal mount out of a 2wd car mid 80's.use the first 2 mount holes towards the front and box your cross member to fit.

I read somewhere that a trans mount from a GM van works. It's barely 1 inch tall which helps get the correct drive shaft alignment without hanging too low.

And Bill, If you decide to sell that Dakota , give me a shout.

I'll surely do that. Here's a photo... not too recent, but pretty representative of how it looks, now...

I need it as a daily driver; my other car got totalled and the only other vehicle I own is my '72 Valiant, which has a 4.10 gear and a Vortech blower... not too street friendly...

Attachments

• js640_100_0547.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 252
  • js640_valleave3.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 265
Doesn't someone make this trans crossmember and mount?

i started with a gm universal mount out of a 2wd car mid 80's.use the first 2 mount holes towards the front and box your cross member to fit.

Have a part number? I'll be starting a thread shortly detailing my install of a 42RH in a Duster, so far I have had to cut out NONE of the floorpan. Gary

I going to use a ens-3-1108g Energy suspension mount,i just slotted the mount holes a little to fit the mount bolts.Right now i have the cheep universal mount from auto parts store for mock up,less than 10 bucks usually.:D

Right now i have the cheep universal mount from auto parts store for mock up,less than 10 bucks usually.:D

Application / Part Number? I'm putting up a thread now in the trans section if you want to check it out. Gary

-
Back