Transmission fluid quantity

-

JimMac

Reaction score
I am restoring my 1965 Valiant convertible and while the automatic transmission was out I had it rebuilt. I also bought a new torque converter for it. I now have it installed and need to put trans fluid in it. Can anyone tell me how many quarts I need and is there any tricks I should know when filling it?

You will need a special funnel and about 15.5 pints. To start,
put 4pts in and then check for leaks.
Put 6 more pints in and check for leaks.Start it up in neutral and check for leaks;then
add 4.5 more pints, and check for leaks.
Jump in, apply the brakes, and put her into reverse at normal idle speed. Then thru each of the other gears hesitating for a few seconds in each. Back to neutral and let her idle for about 15 minutes. Then check for leaks. Finally a short roadtest to warm her up and then check the fluid level. Top up as required.
Add on the stick means add 1 pint.
Go for a drive, and when you get back,check for leaks.lol
Keep your eye on the fluid level for the next few weeks.

If it seems like I'm harping on checking for leaks, it's cuz I am. I hate cleaning up oil spills and at $5.50 a liter up here, I cannot afford to waste those. A liter is 1.14 qt US, so to lose say just 7 liters is near $55.00C; including taxes and delivery costs.

Last edited:
It takes 9 quarts to fill an empty trans...

Put in at least 7 quarts, then check the stick to make sure it's near the full line or a little over..

Then start the car and with the foot on the brake, shift between R-1-R-2-R-3- and repeat a few times to get fluid through the trans and fill the torque converter...

Then put the car in Neutral and check the trans fluid - top off till full...

I agree with AJ. I once had trouble with an airlock, because I dumped in too many qts before starting the engine, so I'd suggest only dumping in a couple qts at a time.

I dump 2 gallons in and check from there.

You will need a special funnel and about 15.5 pints. To start,
put 4pts in and then check for leaks.
Put 6 more pints in and check for leaks.Start it up in neutral and check for leaks;then
add 4.5 more pints, and check for leaks.
Jump in, apply the brakes, and put her into reverse at normal idle speed. Then thru each of the other gears hesitating for a few seconds in each. Back to neutral and let her idle for about 15 minutes. Then check for leaks. Finally a short roadtest to warm her up and then check the fluid level. Top up as required.
Add on the stick means add 1 pint.
Go for a drive, and when you get back,check for leaks.lol
Keep your eye on the fluid level for the next few weeks.

If it seems like I'm harping on checking for leaks, it's cuz I am. I hate cleaning up oil spills and at $5.50 a liter up here, I cannot afford to waste those. A liter is 1.14 qt US, so to lose say just 7 liters is near $55.00C; including taxes and delivery costs.
Thanks, You are right about our costs in Canada.

It takes 9 quarts to fill an empty trans...

Put in at least 7 quarts, then check the stick to make sure it's near the full line or a little over..

Then start the car and with the foot on the brake, shift between R-1-R-2-R-3- and repeat a few times to get fluid through the trans and fill the torque converter...

Then put the car in Neutral and check the trans fluid - top off till full...
Our Canadian quarts are bigger than yours so I have to adjust for that.

My 69 FSM calls for 15.5 pints in a 904, 18.5pints in a 727, with some exceptions.
Trying to drain 2.5 pints will be a nightmare,so
sneak up on the full line.
I am getting the idea that I should take it slow and easy filling it up. I am not in any rush as I am just about ready to get it running but still have no interior so will be doing all this up off the ground for a while.

-
Back