Transmission Fluid

-
I just bought Type F tonight from Rural King, made by Providence Automotive for $3.99 a quart. The store still has their old prices listed on the shelves, but online its $5.49 a quart. I ran it in my car last year, went a lot of rounds, worked just as good as any other Type F I have ran in my car.

There was an article years ago on Allpar that talked about a Sheriff's Dept in California somewhere that bought new......I THINK it was 63 model Plymouths with the understanding that the same fluid used in the engine could also be used in the transmission. Chrysler put their stamp of approval for 30 weight engine oil for the transmission and the deal was struck. They never had issues. .......and I have looked and looked and LOOKED for that article and now I cannot find it. I believe it was a casualty of the Allpar web site redesign. They lost a lot of good stuff.
For years caterpillar ran engine oil in the transmissions of any equipment with wheels

For years caterpillar ran engine oil in the transmissions of any equipment with wheels
The Army Cat D7 Dozers I have worked on. We put 15W40 engine oil in everything. Engines, transmission, bevel gear housing and Final Drives.

I was advised ATF +4. That's what I will be using.
I use ATF+4 in my newer 05' Cummins truck, but have always used "F" in my early 727's. Can anyone advise if using "F" in my truck would be ok? My understanding is that the transmissions are similar to each other, except for the electronic valve body.

I use ATF+4 in my newer 05' Cummins truck, but have always used "F" in my early 727's. Can anyone advise if using "F" in my truck would be ok? My understanding is that the transmissions are similar to each other, except for the electronic valve body.

If my 2006 Dodge diesel instructions say ATF+4 it’s getting it. With all the gizmos in these suckers I will pay the added penalty for it. My buddy rebuilds them and I wound get a really fair price but fair is still high on these. The converters really went up in price.

If my 2006 Dodge diesel instructions say ATF+4 it’s getting it. With all the gizmos in these suckers I will pay the added penalty for it. My buddy rebuilds them and I wound get a really fair price but fair is still high on these. The converters really went up in price.
That was my thinking and why I have not used "F" in my truck. Thanks!!!!

JMO......I can't understand the whole cost issue. I'm balls deep into this car, and an extra $30 for transmission fluid is the least of my worries :)

JMO......I can't understand the whole cost issue. I'm balls deep into this car, and an extra $30 for transmission fluid is the least of my worries :)

LOL... isn't that the truth.. its like that guy that puts tones into his drivetrain and goes with the cheapest converter he can find. makes no sense.

LOL... isn't that the truth.. its like that guy that puts tones into his drivetrain and goes with the cheapest converter he can find. makes no sense.

Ya but some guys want to spend stupid money needlessly. Type F works. End of story. Lol. Same guy’s spending crazy money on trans fluid buy a converter from Tim buck 2 and wonder why their car is a sled. Lol

Ya but some guys want to spend stupid money needlessly. Type F works. End of story. Lol. Same guy’s spending crazy money on trans fluid buy a converter from Tim buck 2 and wonder why their car is a sled. Lol
No doubt John. Type F undeniably works. But I agree, in a 48RE trans in your Cummins, I’d be running the ATF+4 like the manual says.

-
Back