Transmission not shifting with column (318/904/auto, column shift, power steering)

-

supersoap33

Reaction score
I put in a replacement column out of a '75 dart. My '74 column was cracked and hot-wired from a theft before I bought the car. I made sure that all the linkage was hooked up properly, but the transmission isn't shifting. I can go through the gears on the column just fine. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

edit: Update: The linkage is shifting along with the column. What else could it be? The trans doesn't feel like it's going into gear though with the shifting of the linkage.

Also, there isn't a lot of brake pressure, if any. I don't know how brake boosters work, so I pulled the top off the other day to see if there was fluid in there and there was. Did I do something to the system when I did that? Another aside is that I changed the trans gasket and filter and did everything to spec and I still have a small leak, but I checked the dipstick and it's still reading "full."

Last edited:
I put in a replacement column out of a '75 dart. My '74 column was cracked and hot-wired from a theft before I bought the car. I made sure that all the linkage was hooked up properly, but the transmission isn't shifting. I can go through the gears on the column just fine. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

edit: Update: The linkage is shifting along with the column. What else could it be? The trans doesn't feel like it's going into gear though with the shifting of the linkage.
Was it working before you changed the column?

make sure the linkage is hooked up correctly....if you move the shifter....does the linkage on the trans move?......can be checked with the engine not running.....

if it is not moving....one of the linkages has a bolt on it....it lets the linkage slide....put the trans in neutral...put the shifter in neutral...tighten bolt

And you changed NOTHING, did nothing on the trans when you changed out the column?

I did change the gasket and filter on the trans while I was changing out the steering column. The fluid levels are strange. There was still a leak from the pan after I changed the gasket, albeit a small one. I checked the fluid level before I started the car (for the first time in a year) and it was low a quart, so I put in a quart. Then, once the engine was running, the level went above full.

You need to read your service manual. It will give you the complete procedure to adjust your linkages AND tell you the correct way to check the transmission fluid.
Number 1, it is not like checking your oil.
The engine must be running, the fluid up to operating temperature, the transmission in NEUTRAL and on level ground.
Only then can you check the level. The fluid must be circulating thorough the transmission and torque convertor when being checked.
Service Manuals are usually available as free downloads on line.

I did change the gasket and filter on the trans while I was changing out the steering column. The fluid levels are strange. There was still a leak from the pan after I changed the gasket, albeit a small one. I checked the fluid level before I started the car (for the first time in a year) and it was low a quart, so I put in a quart. Then, once the engine was running, the level went above full.
The fluid level on the transmission dipstick is a pint low when it is at the add mark. You likely overfilled it. That would not cause it to go into gear though. If the car starts OK in park and neutral, then you can pretty certain that the linkages are set up correctly. With your foot on the brake, start the car and put it into reverse and let it stay that way for a minute or two. See if it slowly starts to want to move. The pump may whine during that time.

You need to read your service manual. It will give you the complete procedure to adjust your linkages AND tell you the correct way to check the transmission fluid.
Number 1, it is not like checking your oil.
The engine must be running, the fluid up to operating temperature, the transmission in NEUTRAL and on level ground.
Only then can you check the level. The fluid must be circulating thorough the transmission and torque convertor when being checked.
Service Manuals are usually available as free downloads on line.

All I did was reattach the linkages. I didn't necessarily adjust anything, which might be the problem as well if they need certain fine tuning. The car IS on level ground.

Alright... it had low fluid. Something is leaking somewhere on this thing lol.

Anyone know why this shitbox has such jerky steering. It's like it "pops" into channels of steering and in-between has a lot of play.

Alright... it had low fluid. Something is leaking somewhere on this thing lol.

Anyone know why this shitbox has such jerky steering. It's like it "pops" into channels of steering and in-between has a lot of play.
You really should start another thread about the steering issue. Glad you found the "culprit" with your trans!

Here are the Factory Service Manual pages on this.

Attachments

• trans linkage adjustment.pdf
    966.2 KB · Views: 65
-
Back