Transmission seals

-

67dart_drop_top

Reaction score
I have a 67 Dart with a 273 automatic. I am going to be pulling it to change some leaky seals. I have never done this before, and I was just wondering if anyone had any advice. I know there are always little helpful things you find out when you do these projects, and I wasjust hoping to benefit from anyone's previous experience.

BTW, is there anything else to look at besides the front, rear and speedo seals?

dip stick tube O ring and selector shaft seal should be included in resealing a trans.
Common proceedure is to lower the rear of the trans to access the upper bell housing bolts from underneath, be careful not to damage the fan shroud or distributor. Best to unbolt the shroud and set the dist' cap off.
And take ALL the linkage pieces off the trans or risk bending the crap out of the piece left on the trans. They have to come off to replace the selector shaft seal anyway.

I have a helpful tip on seal removal. Get yourself some drywall screws. Tap them into the old seal with a hammer then screw them in a few threads. Then use a slide hammer or vise grips to remove the old seal.

I have a helpful tip on seal removal. Get yourself some drywall screws. Tap them into the old seal with a hammer then screw them in a few threads. Then use a slide hammer or vise grips to remove the old seal.

Yeah that works but... center punch carefully and use a small diameter screw. The screws threads could damage aluminum housing surfaces behind the seal or the surface the seals lip runs on.

Thanks for the advice. That one about the distributor alone sounds like it could have saved me a lot of heartache. Not sure if I would have thought about using small screws to get out the seals.

I did not realize there were two seals on the speedo??? So, there are front and rear seals and two speedo seals to order? ANy others?

Thanks for the advice. That one about the distributor alone sounds like it could have saved me a lot of heartache. Not sure if I would have thought about using small screws to get out the seals.

I did not realize there were two seals on the speedo??? So, there are front and rear seals and two speedo seals to order? ANy others?

Well..... There is also the pump gasket and oring as well.And each pump bolt has its own sealing washer too.
BTW... If it's a 904 transmission the torque converters are famous for forming hairline cracks at the base of the pump gear notch. If you see any bushing wear on the Torque Converter you need to replace the Converter and bushing too.
If you not comfortable pulling the pump you might want to bring the whole trans or the car to a shop for a reseal job.

Also ... The Converter only bolts up one way so mark the last bolt area on the flex plate AND the Converter so they bolt up in their correct spots.

Most seals to the outside can be replaced with the tranny in the car, save for the front seal behind the torque converter. You can easily see if that is leaking by looking in the inspection cover. It usually doesn't, in my experience.

If you remove the tranny, I would consider rebuilding it with new clutch plates. If you pull the front pump, at a minimum buy an "overhaul" kit ~$50, which is just gaskets and seals. A "banner" kit adds clutches. A "full rebuild" kit adds steel plates and a band. If you get inside and find you need clutches and/or steels, you can buy them separate fairly cheap ($2/clutch). Indeed, most internal parts are available fairly inexpensively.

-
Back